Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CFI2766

Naiive, I know...

I think that ASA should be judged for the performance gains recently experienced. However, every bit as important, I think that ASA should also be judged by how the employees of the organization were treated. It doesn't matter if we, as an organization, post the best numbers and statistics in the world, if we furlough one single person.

Let's not kid ourselves: ASA didn't become a new airline overnight. The people here are going above and beyond because they feel that they are being treated by ASA as an asset, not a liability.

The lesson here for folks in the management suite: treat your people right, and the airline will be a quality product.

The proof of the success of this "new" management style (aka standard business practice in every industry except aviation) is clear and irrefutable. With any luck, other airline boards will be paying attention, and this industry might have a chance at permanently removing the same revolving carpetbagger managements that have been severely damaging this industry for decades. Ford and Harrison, your time is coming to an end!

I think we should be judged by the size of our .......

Never mind.

Truth be told, the "new management" style has definitely turned this place around big time. Most of the crews are doing what they can to get themselves out on time, keep passengers informed, and conserve as much fuel as possible without being a "Mitchem" (those of you who know, know). It's actually enjoyable to come to work.

LTG

Most of the crews are doing what they can to get themselves out on time, keep passengers informed, and conserve as much fuel as possible without being a "Mitchem" (those of you who know, know). It's actually enjoyable to come to work.

LTG

Total fuel Nazi there. I got along with the guy fine though.

I think we should be judged by the size of our .......

Never mind.

Truth be told, the "new management" style has definitely turned this place around big time. Most of the crews are doing what they can to get themselves out on time, keep passengers informed, and conserve as much fuel as possible without being a "Mitchem" (those of you who know, know). It's actually enjoyable to come to work.

LTG

Good for "Mitchem", whoever that is. We all want ASA to do well, and frankly, right now, the fuel that that attitude saves could be the difference for us.

Dunnno.

The proof of the success of this "new" management style (aka standard business practice in every industry except aviation) is clear and irrefutable. With any luck, other airline boards will be paying attention, and this industry might have a chance at permanently removing the same revolving carpetbagger managements that have been severely damaging this industry for decades. Ford and Harrison, your time is coming to an end!

I wonder what Skippy and LaBreque are thinking right now.:)

Some guys take PM the wrong way. I got along with him fine even though he pushes the envelope on fuel conservation and he's a ragin liberal. He wants it done a certain way, it's his prerogative to have it done that way. Ecspeically when it could make the difference between the street or work.

I'd rather have a job in a year than cold pax now. Do you best to keep them comfortable, but remember how severe the fuel issues are now.

Good for "Mitchem", whoever that is. We all want ASA to do well, and frankly, right now, the fuel that that attitude saves could be the difference for us.

Dunnno.

It's all about how you go about it with your crew.

When I was an FO for over 4 years, I didn't have to be told EVERY leg not to start the APU until "you see the whites of their eyes", I didn't have to be told at lower altitudes and doing 305 KIAS to "slow to 300 KIAS NOW for fuel" (and I'm talking immediately being told, not after a minute or two), etc.

As a CA, I'm all about conserving fuel, believe me. I won't fly .80M due to fuel (more like .77M or .76M) and I'll do at least 3.2 degree descents at constant speed (.77 or 300 KIAS). It's a huge difference in fuel.

Mitchem is the :puke: "fuel Nazi" basically due to his methods. He's the type who wonders why he's still single (over 50ish) and no one wants to go to dinner with him. Like I said, those who know, know.

LTG

Last edited:
I'd rather have a job in a year than cold pax now. Do you best to keep them comfortable, but remember how severe the fuel issues are now.

During (right) single engine taxi in the -700 with the APU off, the only people who get warm are in the cockpit due to the left pack being off. That's what the RECIRC FAN is for (you know, that switch that blows air into the cabin during engine starts so the pax don't burnt up). I've heard from other FOs that some senior crusty ones won't single eng taxi in the -700 because the pax will get warm and it's "CA's discretion". BS on that one.

Latest resources

Back