How senior is SLC for ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
Are you sure about SkyWest or ASA flying the CRJ-705s or -900s for Delta? Are you sure about that? The judge questioned the Delta lawyer about that last Wednesday. Nobody knows yet who will get what. We are trying to get the 79 seaters too. It will be interesting indeed....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Skywest did convert 22 CRJ200 orders they came with ASA to 70 seaters. They have mentioned at roadshows about getting the CRJ705 or CRJ900 and having first class so as to comply with scope. They meet all requirements of your agreement, what the judge does may change things, I am simply going by what my company has told me.

Plug said:
Skywest did convert 22 CRJ200 orders they came with ASA to 70 seaters. They have mentioned at roadshows about getting the CRJ705 or CRJ900 and having first class so as to comply with scope. They meet all requirements of your agreement, what the judge does may change things, I am simply going by what my company has told me.

That is incorrect. Currently we have scope for a limited number of 70 seaters for only ASA and Comair (I don't know how the sale of ASA will affect that with respect to SkyWest), and nothing over 70 seats TOTAL. A CRJ-705 has more than that (79?), and that would not apply unless changed. The company wants more, but the judge and union are questioning that. The judge asked the Delta attorney why the mainline guys couldn't fly the 79 seaters. He said the benefits package made it too cost competitive, to which the judge said that Delta would not get the scope for "free." Delta has been asking for $335 million PLUS free unlimited scope, and the judge questioned that and told the Delta lawyer to come up with a quantitative $$ amount, or what it would be worth to the company---and take that off of the $335M. The Delta attorney did not like that. It will be interesting to see what happens coming up here. Hopefully an agreement will be worked out, but I don't see Dalpa caving on the 79 seaters yet...We have furloughed pilots that might want to fly that 79 seater from the LEFT seat. We shall see.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
That is incorrect. Currently we have scope for a limited number of 70 seaters for only ASA and Comair (I don't know how the sale of ASA will affect that with respect to SkyWest), and nothing over 70 seats TOTAL. A CRJ-705 has more than that (79?), and that would not apply unless changed. The company wants more, but the judge and union are questioning that. The judge asked the Delta attorney why the mainline guys couldn't fly the 79 seaters. He said the benefits package made it too cost competitive, to which the judge said that Delta would not get the scope for "free." Delta has been asking for $335 million PLUS free unlimited scope, and the judge questioned that and told the Delta lawyer to come up with a quantitative $$ amount, or what it would be worth to the company---and take that off of the $335 flightinfo. The Delta attorney did not like that. It will be interesting to see what happens coming up here. Hopefully an agreement will be worked out, but I don't see Dalpa caving on the 79 seaters yet...We have furloughed pilots that might want to fly that 79 seater from the LEFT seat. We shall see.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

ASA and CMR have not yet reached the 70 seat limit. The CRJ705 is a CRJ900 with 76 seats. The seat amount can vary as to what the customer wants. You can make a CRJ705 very comfortable with just 70 seats (first, and coach) and meet all the scope requirements. I agree that any more seats would be a violation. Our management has told us this, and they have told us that they are aggressively pursueing an additional code share agreement. That new agreement may permit aircraft with more than 70 seats.

Plug said:
General,

ASA and CMR have not yet reached the 70 seat limit. The CRJ705 is a CRJ900 with 76 seats. The seat amount can vary as to what the customer wants. You can make a CRJ705 very comfortable with just 70 seats (first, and coach) and meet all the scope requirements. I agree that any more seats would be a violation. Our management has told us this, and they have told us that they are aggressively pursueing an additional code share agreement. That new agreement may permit aircraft with more than 70 seats.

Incorrect. Our scope agreement looks at the airplane size too, and if the plane could carry more seats, then it is not included. I guess we could give ASA 757s with 70 seats also, right? Wrong. The CRJ-705 was DESIGNED to carry more than 70. Your United CR7s have first class, but that plane was designed for 70 seats. So, your UA CR7s have 56 or so seats, including the first class section. That would be permitted under our clause, but not the CRJ-705. The CRJ-705 was created by Canadair to try to get around scope clauses. It has the body of a CR9, but less seats.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Alright, well General, we'll see what happens. Honestly, I hope you are right, but from the way scope has been pretty much demolished at most bankrupt legacy carriers over the past few years, it'll be tough to find a judge sympathetic to your plight. The industry-wide trend appears to be longer international routes for you mainliners while shrinking the narrow-body fleets and more growth at the regional level for these 70-100 seat airplanes. I hope it turns out differently, but based on recent trends, I'd be very surprised to see DAL's current scope survive bankruptcy.

General Lee said:
Incorrect. Our scope agreement looks at the airplane size too, and if the plane could carry more seats, then it is not included. I guess we could give ASA 757s with 70 seats also, right? Wrong. The CRJ-705 was DESIGNED to carry more than 70. Your United CR7s have first class, but that plane was designed for 70 seats. So, your UA CR7s have 56 or so seats, including the first class section. That would be permitted under our clause, but not the CRJ-705. The CRJ-705 was created by Canadair to try to get around scope clauses. It has the body of a CR9, but less seats.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I thought there was just weight and seat limits. If you are correct then one of your former pilots now our DO (ASA by the way) is planning on that provision changing.

Plug said:
I thought there was just weight and seat limits. If you are correct then one of your former pilots now our DO (ASA by the way) is planning on that provision changing.

That will be interesting because the judge already is hounding Delta about the 79 seat jets and why they won't allow Delta pilots to fly them. When the Delta lawyer gave the explanation that it was to stregthen the company as a whole, she yelled at him "I know what you want to do." She stated there would have to be a dollar amount $$ attached to scope, and the Delta lawyer didn't have an answer. She told him to figure it out. We'll see what happens. Dalpa has a standing offer to fly the 79 seaters NOW. Maybe we can get a deal where SkyWest flies them but our guys are in the left seat. (like USAir and Mesa and PSA) That would be interesting, and Jerry in SGU might go for it---no union to object.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Maybe we can get a deal where SkyWest flies them but our guys are in the left seat. (like USAir and Mesa and PSA) That would be interesting, and Jerry in SGU might go for it---no union to object.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I guess that falls under the old "My airline is broken, so I''ll take yours." syndrome.

You guys are all the same. If you wanted to fly for SkyWest than you should have applied to SkyWest. They gambled, they lost, tough $hit. Wait for the recall now or go to the bottom of the list.

Puck Mugger said:
I guess that falls under the old "My airline is broken, so I''ll take yours." syndrome.

You guys are all the same. If you wanted to fly for SkyWest than you should have applied to SkyWest. They gambled, they lost, tough $hit. Wait for the recall now or go to the bottom of the list.

Thanks Puck. I am not furloughed, but my example may be the only way Jerry gets to fly them for Delta. This will all have to be worked out, but I know Dalpa aint just giving in on 79 seat scope. Nope. Maybe you guys can trade them in for a couple of 70 seaters....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back