How senior is SLC for ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
blueridge71 said:
It will probably be an uphill fight. I think that the time to decide that you wanted RJs at mainline was 20 years ago. Do you think that DAL pilots would be willing to work for a regional pay scale?

Absolutely. How big are RJs in your book? A 79 seater is really a 90 seater with a first class, and it is as long as an MD80 almost. And, the judge is asking the same questions for us to the Delta lawyers. If we get them, they will pay more than your 70 seaters. Something has to replace the 737-200s, and if it is 200 79 seaters, then we would like them. That makes sense, right? Anyone can get a 100 seat pay rate, but then never see the 100 seaters. We want to see the new planes, and we still have 475 furloughs on the street. You want them to come back too, right? Maybe you want them to come back to YOUR right seat while you are in the left.......

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General, I think everyone hopes those airplanes go to Delta. I know I do. The more major jobs there are, the better it is for everyone.

General Lee said:
Absolutely. How big are RJs in your book? A 79 seater is really a 90 seater with a first class, and it is as long as an MD80 almost.
Bye Bye--General Lee

Whether its configured at 79 or 90 seats its a stretch CRJ 200.

General, the CRJ 900 is an RJ with the same cramped cockpit as a CRJ 200. If you get CRJ 900's you will have come full circle back to being regional pilots at regional pay rates.

Be careful what you wish for.

rjcap said:
Whether its configured at 79 or 90 seats its a stretch CRJ 200.

General, the CRJ 900 is an RJ with the same cramped cockpit as a CRJ 200. If you get CRJ 900's you will have come full circle back to being regional pilots at regional pay rates.

Be careful what you wish for.

Well, I am sure we would accept those rather than furlough more. All they said is 78 or 79 seaters, and the EMB 175 carries that many, and the E190 is the next step up. You and I both know that the E175 and up are really nice (and so is the E170). I would fly those. And, I would fly left seat in the CRJ 705 if it were the only Captain position out there. (heck, I would fly a mainline CRJ705 in the right seat too, although they would have to furlough a bunch for that to happen) That is the way it goes, and I know our MEC is in favor of that---anything more than 70 seats. A lot of this is to bring back the remaining furloughs, and that is a good thing all around. Those rates will be higher than the 70 seat rates regardless.

Bye Bye--General Lee

"Do you think that DAL pilots would be willing to work for a regional pay scale?"

I'll ask the next furloughed United guy in the right seat of the RJ I fly with.
The larger iterations should remain at mainline.

There are two 705s sitting in the Skywest Tucson hangar. If you don't believe me check it out for yourself.

Genral,

When is your Md-88 upgrade class? Shouldn't you be studdying for that yet?

Mookie

ERlanger,

Whose 705's are those in Tuscon. my fo the other day told me about those, but didn't know if they were ours or not.

Erlanger said:
There are two 705s sitting in the Skywest Tucson hangar. If you don't believe me check it out for yourself.

That means nothing, they could be there for someone else like Air Canada Jazz.

General Lee said:
Absolutely. How big are RJs in your book? A 79 seater is really a 90 seater with a first class, and it is as long as an MD80 almost. And, the judge is asking the same questions for us to the Delta lawyers. If we get them, they will pay more than your 70 seaters. Something has to replace the 737-200s, and if it is 200 79 seaters, then we would like them. That makes sense, right? Anyone can get a 100 seat pay rate, but then never see the 100 seaters. We want to see the new planes, and we still have 475 furloughs on the street. You want them to come back too, right? Maybe you want them to come back to YOUR right seat while you are in the left.......

Bye Bye--General Lee

These days RJ is a very loose term. A "regional jet" can fly from the east coast to Kansas or Colorado, making the "region" basically North America. As to seats, the Embraer 190 seats 98 and that is still considered a regional jet. Numerous carriers are flying 70 seat RJs.

My point was this. According to airlinepilotcentral.com, a 3 year DAL FO on the MD80 or 737 makes around $90 per hour. Contrast that to the approximately $40 per hour that a CRJ 700 FO makes at ASA. Add to the mix that the mainline pilot gets a pension, more days off, shorter work days and you get a lopsided cost advantage for the regional side. Is that good? Heck no, but it's reality.

The regional genie is out of the bottle and it will be extremely hard to put it back in, especially with the parent company in bankruptcy. IMHO the time to fight this fight was 20 years ago when RJs first started appearing, but we can't turn back the clock.

I feel for your furloughed pilots, since I am also a furloughee. However, I know of very few mainline furloughees who chose to go back to the regionals. Most choose to go into outside businesses instead. If a furloughee doesn't want to take a 50% paycut, why would someone want to take that big a cut to keep working? Some would, but my guess is that more would not.

I hope that you are correct because that will mean good times ahead for both of us. If the mainline is healthy, then the regionals will have plenty of flying and regional pilots will have plenty of chances to upgrade. However, I would be surprised to see DALPA take anything close to what regional pilots would find attractive.

Actually the EMB-170/190 family was carefully not marketed as an "RJ". I think Embraer saw the writing on the wall in terms of customer dissatisfaction and economic short-falls of the RJ and avoided that moniker, though many media sources use that term in error when referencing these aircraft.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back