• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How not to train instrument students

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Appears but how the hell are you supposed to know where other traffic is? Also what if the VOR is inaccurate I've shot VOR approaches with a half dot deflection and looked up and noticed the runway was 30 degrees off from my VOR.

That appears to be a better sun shade then the USA today that I usually use!

Appears but how the hell are you supposed to know where other traffic is? Also what if the VOR is inaccurate I've shot VOR approaches with a half dot deflection and looked up and noticed the runway was 30 degrees off from my VOR.

You want to know how one knows the VOR may be accurate? You're serious?

This may come as a shock, but approaches are frequently flown to minimums in actual conditions. Can you imagine that? How do you suppose this is done, save for one can trust the instrumentation, including the VOR or localizer?

Determining VOR accuracy is generally done before takeoff. You're familiar with the 30 day requirement?

You're also aware that the video was shot outside the USA, right?

Appears but how the hell are you supposed to know where other traffic is?

Well...let's see...how about looking for it?

If the pilot flying can't see out, general practice is to provide a safety pilot. If the safety pilot doesn't have adequate visibility to see, general practice is to augment the safety pilot with observers to supplement his vision.

Was the video not shot by an observer, supplementing the ability of the safety pilot to see out of the aircraft?

Because light past the sunshade prevented the camera from showing a good picture of the view outside, and because the window shade or view limiting device only extended part way up the window, you have no idea how much forward visibility the individuals in the front seat, or rear seat had.

You're jumping to conclusions.

Now, getting back to your original premise, that you've flown VOR approaches within half a dot...next time fly them with the needle centered. As for the runway being "30 degrees off from my VOR," do you mean to say the runway was 30 degrees off your nose, or that the ground VOR was off by 30 degrees?

If the runway was 30 degrees off your nose, you understand that offset approaches and circling procedures are normal, right? You understand that being a half-dot off, you were already off course, right? You understand that with any crosswind, the position of the runway with respect to the nose of the airplane will show an increased pronounced offset, right?

Either you're suggesting the aircraft equipment was in error, or you the ground equipment. Are you familiar with the accuracy requirements of the VOR equipment in the airplane? If your equipment was off by 30 degrees, what on earth were you doing using it to fly an approach?

If instead you're suggesting that the VOR was off by 30 degrees, an extremely gross error, and an extremely unusual one, did you report it? That's a very serious issue. You're suggesting one should not fly a VOR approach if one can't see out of the airplane, because the ground based navaid might be in error by 30 degrees?

A VOR transmitter self-monitors, and takes it's self offline if an accuracy error exceeds 1 degree. Accuracy is normally within less than half a degree. You, however, managed to fly an approach with a functioning VOR broadcasting a signal that was 30 degrees off?

If it wasn't the aircraft (and therefore pilot error for failing to properly preflight and monitor your equipment), and it wasn't the ground based navaid (you're not really going to try to claim the VOR ground based transmitter was 30 degrees in error, are you?), then the airport must have been moved. Hopefully you won't try to assert tha the airport was simply 30 degrees off.

Therefore, if you didn't fail in your duty to preflight, if the airport didn't magically get lost, if the VOR didn't mysteriously begin transmitting outside it's capability...the only remaining options are that you either had no idea what was going on, or flew the approach improperly and were therefore...lost. Which is it?

If the pilot flying can't see out, general practice is to provide a safety pilot. If the safety pilot doesn't have adequate visibility to see, general practice is to augment the safety pilot with observers to supplement his vision.

Was the video not shot by an observer, supplementing the ability of the safety pilot to see out of the aircraft?

Because light past the sunshade prevented the camera from showing a good picture of the view outside, and because the window shade or view limiting device only extended part way up the window, you have no idea how much forward visibility the individuals in the front seat, or rear seat had.

You're jumping to conclusions.

You've got to be kidding. The sun shade was held in place by the sun visors, and it is higher on the right side. General practice is to augment the safety pilot with observers to supplement his vision? Get your boots on the s#!t is getting deep.

For the sake of not quoting the whole thing Avbug you have come off as the biggest tool on FI once again. Your vast knowledge is just amazing you know that, I love when you jump to conclusions especially highly unaccurate ones.
1. Your saying you would do this with a student learning their instrument. Do you mean to tell me that its ok for someone in the backseat with no access to the controls to be a great safety pilot. As evidenced from the video do you think he could respond fast enough and then the pic respond fast enough to steer clear of traffic in the vicinity. Lets not even begin the debate as to which way to turn for traffic that you can't even see let alone being able to see out of the plane at all.
2. 30 day VOR check: so let me guess what your saying is the instrument can only fail on the 31st day? Or how about someone that isnt very knowledgeable at doing VOR checks? Is it possible that someone can ******************** that up? I mean if we were all as smart as you that would never happen , unfortunatly we don't have the brains that you have.
3. Before every IFR flight I do an instrument check. Which includes checking my basic 6 pack along with available navaids. Considering there is no navaids on the field you can do your best to pick up the VOR roughly 10-15 miles away. Ok heres where it gets good mr. brains while shooting the VOR 15 into KARR I noticed that while on the Final Approach Course of 150 and within a maximum dot deflection the whole time that the aircraft was continuosly off of course by 30 or so odd degrees. Well thinking to myself thats odd I decided to tune in my number 2 VOR to notice that I was infact off of course.

In conclusion Mr. Avbug you spread your stupid ideas of being smart and you just come off as a smug idiot jumping to conclusions and pointing fingers to look smart, but all you did was come across as an idiot. Good night

Latest resources

Back