• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How not to train instrument students

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Provided that the camera is on a fixed mount, nothing. If a person is in the back seat filming this, then that is not a good thing.

When I instructed in 172's, I supervised power-on stalls with a student in the left seat and the back seat. As long as the CG is within limits, you can perform power-on stalls. This was done both VFR and under the hood. Obviously, you need to keep the coordination/yaw in check though.

When I instructed in 172's, I supervised power-on stalls with a student in the left seat and the back seat. As long as the CG is within limits, you can perform power-on stalls. This was done both VFR and under the hood. Obviously, you need to keep the coordination/yaw in check though.

Oh, Lordy, I know you mean well but most 4 seat airplane hand books prohibit any stalls with the rear seat(s) occupied. It is rediculous I know but that is the way it is now.

Oh, Lordy, I know you mean well but most 4 seat airplane hand books prohibit any stalls with the rear seat(s) occupied. It is rediculous I know but that is the way it is now.

I'm left feeling a bit smitten, then. My old instructors did it and so did I. :blush:

They do? I've seen the prohibition of spins with the rear seats occupied; but, I've never seen any restriction on stalls. Which aircraft have this restriction?

They do? I've seen the prohibition of spins with the rear seats occupied; but, I've never seen any restriction on stalls. Which aircraft have this restriction?

I haven't looked at a Cessna/Piper POH in a long while. Did they recently prohibit all stalls with a rear seat passenger?

Perhaps. Logically speaking though, a student needs to know how to recover from a departure stall with a person in the back (this is real world). Teechnically, if the CG and weight are within limits and the departure stall is performed in coordinated flight, there shouldn't be an issue with performing them.

It's also important to demonstrate to students the different handling characteristics outside of the CFI-only regime which is so common. The weight and CG differences will be more pronounced with an added load in the back.

I looked through my 172R POH and only found a limitation on spins with back seaters. My Cirrus POH prohibits spins altogether, but I see nothing about stalls with a back seater. I know when I was student we used to do them all the time, and now that I am instructing I still do.

Latest resources

Back