• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How Northwest took over Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure you can find another job, McD's is around the corner for you. You may not think a flying job defines you, but being a fry cook will "land you the ladies..."

You really think Delta is doomed? Wait, Obama is dooming us? Thanks Rush Limbaugh. This slump in the economy started on Bush's watch. Are you nuts? (sorry, let me retract that since we all already know the answer) I am not saying Delta could NEVER go away, but I think we are in better shape and have more money on hand than anyone else. We have the best routes with the most variety, a vast fleet with different types of planes for flexibility, and we have both been through Chap 11 recently, cleaning out the cobb webs and at least one airline's pilot pension, which unfortunately was lost during the BK process. All of that is cleaned out, along with expensive leases, expensive gates, and other one time charges. I think most anal-cysts out there think you are wrong, and think DL and CAL are probably the best positioned Legacies, with Southwest being the best positioned LCC. Those are two different things, with different missions, and if you think INTL traffic will slump for decades (and domestic only will not??), then you are wrong. Oh wait, Southwest has a HUGE codeshare with Westjet (they go to less than 10 common cities with Southwest) and Volaris (a newcomer to the Mexican LCCs, and still doesn't even go to a US city). Wow, we better hurry up and change all of our plans.....

You need to realize that you are out matched here. Your proficies of the future are way out of line with what almost everyone else "in the business" thinks. Recent stock slumps are common at all the airlines, not just DL, and just take a look at the cargo carriers. Well wait a minute, how about you raise the fries out of the vat of oil first.....and say hi to Sean Hanity for me too...

Bye Bye--General Lee

Actually, this financial mess started under the Clinton Administration for making housing loans feasible for those who shouldn't own homes...

Don't be worried by the General, folks. He's really just a 13 year old kid with a big, big heart for Delta and the Dukes of Hazard. Y'all should look at some of his posts on how SONG was going to put the lights out of Jetblue, or how the international flying was going to reap DAL millions-- well, a Bankruptcy and Merger later, things are looking up again for the Big Delta. I wish you the very best of luck.

So, General, time to go to bed, you've got school tomorrow!

Obama has only been in office for 2 months. Can't blame it on Bush, his whole job is to fix what Bush did.

It's an interesting world we live in. When oil was near $150/bbl the likes of Putin, Chavez and Ahmadinejad were looking like kings, they could do no wrong and were out-- wielding the power of money; and winning the hearts and minds of the poor countrymen seeking their "share" of the wealth.

Now, President Obama follows in the path of appeasing these currently weaker individuals-- the countries of Russia, Venezuela, and Iran are in turmoil with 20%+ inflation, dropping oil revenues, and a much more agitated public support. It's very similar to how Wall Street is reacting to Obama-- NO CONFIDENCE... People are selling out to save themselves because they know what's coming-- higher taxes, a redistribution of wealth...

In the end, Obama got voted into office on the pretense of a real Liberal Democrat, giving to the poor-- well, guess what, nothing is adding up in the stimulus package and, most people aren't that dumb Mr. President. When you announce all those programs without a realistic pricetag; who's paying for their free ride? Not me.

Obama has only been in office for 2 months. Can't blame it on Bush, his whole job is to fix what Bush did.

Interesting Freudian slip, there champ.....

-Can't blame it on Bush indeed. Remember when Bush tried several times to reform Fannie and Freddie, and he couldn't get anywhere because of idiots like Barney Frank and Chris Dodd-who run powerful house and senate banking and finance committees. I guess you must not read the papers much.

Obama's abilty to "fix" things is indeed impressive. The Dow is now almost 2,000 points lower than the day the man took office (a little over a month ago,) and he has done nothing but bash every aspect of business-he still apparently does not realize that his rhetoric has consequences (if you doubt this, just check out your next 401K statement.) Every time Obama or one of his idiot officials makes a speech, markets around the world nosedive.

-That clown will make sure our country is completely bankrupt before he leaves office.

-Can't blame it on Bush indeed. Remember when Bush tried several times to reform Fannie and Freddie, and he couldn't get anywhere because of idiots like Barney Frank and Chris Dodd-who run powerful house and senate banking and finance committees. I guess you must not read the papers much.

Obama's abilty to "fix" things is indeed impressive. The Dow is now almost 2,000 points lower than the day the man took office (a little over a month ago,) and he has done nothing but bash every aspect of business-he still apparently does not realize that his rhetoric has consequences (if you doubt this, just check out your next 401K statement.) Every time Obama or one of his idiot officials makes a speech, markets around the world nosedive.

-That clown will make sure our country is completely bankrupt before he leaves office.
............................................______ __
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,.............. .............`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_........ ..._,-%.......`
You're an idiot.

Ur Rite!!!

Excellent article.....

I have been telling people this would happen since the meger was first speculated on. DAL is gone now, and this new airline (800 lb gorilla) will work hard to piss off customers and passengers alike. They have done that with charging extra for a window seat, isle seat and EVERY piece of checked luggage. Not to mention the rule change in a pax using their mileage account. It is truly a shame. DAL used to be a great company.

The new DAL (NWA) still has absolutely no idea how the traveling public thinks-there is no brand loalty anymore. Hit that one on the head. Just listen to people talk in the airports. You piss enough people off, and they will give you a collective kick to the nuts. Many here scoffed my past assertions which were all validated by this article.

Let me be clear in what I am asserting now: DAL (NWA) will now try and destroy AirTran. If they succeed, DAL will get SWA into Atlanta faster than you can drop a hot coal. That would be a match to watch. I'd have to pull out a chair, popcorn and a Coke (support the hometown drink) and enjoy the show. At that point, DAL (NWA) will get the living hell kicked out of it, and will soon be bankrupt again. -Doubt me again? Go ahead if you wish-Gen., but time will prove me correct again.

I think it's great how the author ended the article. General Lee better watch his pompus butt. Apparently, he doesn't understand how big a bunch of scumbags used to run NWA. That brass ring the General has been chasing will suddenly morph into brass knuckes, indeed......

-Turn the other cheek, Gen.... Steenland's got a little somthin' fo' yo' punk ass!
The crews on NorDelta are still giving a service with a smile. I don't fault them at all. They just keep doing their jobs. Thanks! I hope it all works out and maybe the leadership riding upon that high horse falls and never gets back on. Only time will tell if this turns into another TransAmericanWorld mess. I hope it doesn't because it would be another black eye on the industry (TWA/AAL first one) and it's the only eye left.
Left out the Airways/America West deal since that is turning into something like a Big Redneck Wedding.

yeah a manager at MCDs. makes more than the first and second year F.O.s at most airlines= SAD!!

How any airline can loss Billions every quarter for years on in, and STILL in business? It is all about cooking the books. Just like the banks. Just like the car makers. BUT it wil all catch up one day!

Obama=biggest JOKE of all time. You people fell for that. over 8000 pork projects in the budget?? what 125 million to a lab in Iowa to research the smell of the air.??? That is real smart. Did some Delta Management folks go to DC? He is a politician/Liar!!
He just fooled 54% of Americans. I believe the troops are to be home in 12 months...that is what he promised?

I am happy to see a worm like you writhing, barking, cringing in your hole. Scum like you who seek to distroy the USA deserve to be in misery. You lost thank God. May your evil follow you to the gates of hell were you will no doubt one day meet your master the devil. What a scumbag

It is President Obama to you scumbag. Show some respect to the will of the American people. But what does a retarded unpatroitic racist like you know about citizenship. Your dumbass wandered into it. Brainwashed from birth into your stupidity with your only acievement that you managed to learn to fly an airplane.
An Idoit like you who does not have the ability to inspire a collection of scum like yourself much less any group of decent men and women dares to call the President of the United States a clown. The joke is on you clown.

Last edited:
-Judging by his effect on the economy so far, Obama's candy collection is looking pretty sparse. Can't blame this havoc on Bush anymore-Obama's gonna own this mess.

Please - take a step away from Rush, Fox, or Drudge and do some independent research. 2 month to fix 8 years of greed and corruption...not going to happen that fast.

Actually, this financial mess started under the Clinton Administration for making housing loans feasible for those who shouldn't own homes...

No, it goes back further to the failure of Reaganomics. This mess started when banks stopped doing mortgages. It has more to do with packaging toxic paper as a tradeable fund with a high beta then with giving loans to people that were unable to afford the said load. If there was no market for subprime loans, the loans would not have been made.

Latest resources

Back