How much does an ILS cost

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Leardrvr,

I'm curious, how does the cost of an ILS fit into airport noise discussions?

I did a little surfing to see if I could find your answer .... I didn't but I did find a site where a state DOT was quoting the annual maintenance costs of an ILS (to the state) was $20,000. In another place I saw an estimate to add a MALSR to an existing ILS was right around a half million ... Just speculating, but I bet that the total bill for an complete ILS installation, starting with the part 97 mapping and analysis, would be much higher than a million $

Found this from:
Mn/DOT Office of Aeronautics, Airport Development
NAVIGATIONAL AIDS
Low intensity Beacon (L801) 4,500 $ unit cost
High intensity Beacon (L802) $13,000 to $35,000 unit cost
Lighted windsock 6,000 $ unit cost
Taxiway reflectors $700 per 1000 lineal feet
Temporary Airport Lighting System (TALS) 18,000 $ unit cost
Medium Intensity Runway Lighting System (MIRLS) 130,000 $ unit cost
High Intensity Runway Lighting System (HIRLS) 155,000 $ unit cost
Extension of MIRLS or HIRLS
500 +/- 200 feet 13,000 $ per end
1,000 +/- 200 feet 26,000 $ per end
1,500 +/- 200 feet 39,000 $ per end
Runway End Identifier Lighting System (REILS) 12,000 $ per end
Precision Approach Path Indicator (PAPI) 23,000 $ per end
Omni-Directional Approach Lighting System (ODALS) 60,000 $ unit cost
Medium Approach Lighting System/Runway Alignment Indicator Lighting System (MALS/RAILS) 160,000 $ unit cost
Lighted Guidance Signs 100,000 $ unit cost
3-function radio controller 7,000 $ unit cost
Radio Unicom equipment 1,200 $ unit cost
Remote Communication Outlet (RCO)
Non-Directional Beacon (NDB) 55,000 $ unit cost
Very High Frequency Omni-Directional Range (VOR) 350,000 $ unit cost
Distance Measuring Equipment (DME) 120,000 $ unit cost
Instrument Landing System (ILS) 600,000 $ unit cost
Electrical services building 16,000 $ unit cost
Source

AOPA resource?

leardvr, this is a little off the subject regarding the cost of an ILS, but if you need help in the PR department with the local citizenry AOPA may be able to help and/or provide some guidance. Good luck.

Consider Differential GPS. Its' about $500K from Honeywell.

AIRPORT OPERATORS... GET A LAND USE PROGRAM IN EFFECT!!!

Hate to yell. Been in Airports for 10 years. It never fails, Airport Managers don't do their job. If you have a land use plan in place, the FAA will back you up! Without it, you're screwed.

CHECK YOUR 150 series AC's for info.

Last edited:
From fantasy to reality - you are looking at $2.5 Million.

This includes permits, design/drawings/papework, public hearing costs,testng, etc.

:eek: It is what it is.

I'm curious, how does the cost of an ILS fit into airport noise discussions?

It really doesn't, but I'm looking into hangering an aircraft there. The ILS would increase the utility of the airport and therefore increase revenue that the airport can turn around and use. Thus not relying on the cities general fund. If I can't satisfy their noise argument, maybe I can convince them in the pocket book.

AIRPORT OPERATORS... GET A LAND USE PROGRAM IN EFFECT!!!

We have one. Our airport commissioner is spot on. They've had one for about 10 years. They've been receiving in the neighborhood of $200,000/yr with it.

Tell you what, for $200,000 i will get you a greaT setup...already proven to be reliable. I can snag one from the local strip here by cover of darkness and have it to you within a week. Just remember, if anyone comes asking "i'm rollin' over on ya."

Grab the one from Bolton and meet me off I71 and Polaris @ Lowes and we'll talk:D

All in all the meeting went well. We showed them why they have aircraft at <1000 agl 8000' from the end of the runway. Their homes are about 8000-12000' off the end. Let's see 3:1 means 300/NM @ 1.2NM (8000'ish) 400' seems more then reasonable. We also showed them the GPS approach that puts aircraft t 475' agl @ 1.5nm. They wanted us to stop using that approach. OK I'll go tell the FAA myself.;)

They listened. One lady even said she wanted to know how they built an airport with out her knowing it. Oh ya she's lived in her house for 18months, the airport has been there for 696 months (58 years).:confused:

Latest resources

Back