How much does an ILS cost

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

leardvr

There is a meeting tonight of stupid citzens upset that the airplanes over head make to much noise. Never mind that the airport has been there longer then any of them have been alive.:mad:

My question is, does any one know how much an ILS would cost the LOCAL tax payer. In other words how much of the cost would be picked up by the FAA. What does the FAA use in decieding if the airport even gets an ILS. I believe it's number of daily operations.

Also has anyone ever come up with a decent arguement to use againest these people?

I live on the final approach course of the airport in question, about 2nm from the threshold. My next door neighbor actually asked me if those airplanes over head scare me. I told him that- "that 152 would have to fall square on my house do do any damage, and then would be lucky to make it through the roof. Your Blazer holds more gas then it does, and you come alot closer to my house then he does."

Oh well, Thanks in advance and God Bless

(PS NEVER MIND THE SPELLING MISTAKES, IT ISN'T A REQUIREMENT FOR FLYING):D

Local planning commission wants to build a housing development something like 1500 or so feet off the end of our runway. Like all airports, we lost the battle to keep them from building. We already get enough noise complaints as it is. And we will of course lose the later battle when people move in without thinking, "Hey, I can almost spit on that airport over there," which will end in some noise abatement procedure or another.

One argument that we've found that works is, "And you wonder why you got such a good deal on the house." Less than diplomatic, but as one of our flight instructors found out in a moment of exasperation, it stops the calls (4th or 5th call in one day from same person). From what I understand from other local airports, our neighbors are pretty neighborly. We don't get a whole lot of complaints until the peak of summer flying.

Don't know about a full ILS, but we looked at installing a localizer for a while. I don't remember the numbers, but it wasn't going to be all that expensive in the grand scheme of things. We do about 50 to 200 operations per day (averages to about 100, I believe).

So what type of approachs do you have to that airport?

Wankel

Edit - Maybe you could do this with the airport. Try to find your self a NDB that has been decommissioned at an airport. Your airport buys it and gets the FAA to give you a NDB approach. Then, you can get your self a GPS overlay approach.

Then, in the future when LAAS starts filtering out your airport can get one. Then you have a precision approach. Maybe that would be better way to get one?

Last edited:
ILS

Yes your looking at aleast 1 Million for a basic ILS system, We looked into it for an airport North of Gary IL, that has 4000ft of runway, but could easy add another 2000ft.

A million for just the LOC or for the full ILS? I don't think I remember hearing the LOC was THAT expensive. Course, I could be wrong. Lord knows that happens often enough.

Edit - Maybe you could do this with the airport. Try to find your self a NDB that has been decommissioned at an airport. Your airport buys it and gets the FAA to give you a NDB approach. Then, you can get your self a GPS overlay approach

We have an NDB and several GPS approaches as well as a VOR (though it's 25NM long). The LAAS is a good idea, not sure why I missed that one. Thanks.

Tell you what, for $200,000 i will get you a greaT setup...already proven to be reliable. I can snag one from the local strip here by cover of darkness and have it to you within a week. Just remember, if anyone comes asking "i'm rollin' over on ya."

leardvr said:
There is a meeting tonight of stupid citzens upset that the airplanes over head make to much noise. Never mind that the airport has been there longer then any of them have been alive.:mad:

Sounds like our airport. I has been here so long that it was used on the first cross country flight across America. Now all this rich fu**s put the nice, big houses in around the airport and whine about how the noise bother's them. Well duh dipsh** when you move in next to a aiport, your gonna have to deal with the sound. One guy at a town meeting went as far as to say they us student have cirled on downwind just to watch his wife who was laying out sunbathing. Hah what a joke. So needless to say we fly these arrival and departure procedures to satisfy the fu**sticks.

Sorry I just needed to vent. But I also believe I have heard the 1 million dollar figure for a LOC.

I fly out of the same airport as crewdawg, and i'll tell you for all the circling over those house i've done i've yet to see that woman...haha:D...

Latest resources

Back