How much did/do you make as a CFI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mike Oxlong said:
$10 to start 90 days later $15, then $25 to teach in the Seneca. Full health insurance (including dental). Plus the school paid for my ASES and my MEI. And we got 2 hours in each plane we could teach in every 120 days, so I got 2 hours in a C172, 2 hours in a M20R, 2 hours in a PA34 and 2 hours in a PA44. It was a pretty sweet CFI job. I think I made around 22,000 a year or so.

Guess you haven't heard they played the airline game too... MEI is only 20 now, no health insurance at all, prof time cut in half, no free seaplane or mei. Dumba$$es actually asked if I was wanting to come back to work there, HA HA HA HA
it was a great and needed laugh that day.

$18/hr for ground $22/hr for private $25 for comm/inst/CFI/CFII, and $35/hr for multi engine.

It was for a ma and pa FBO that had a contract with the local college in the midwest. averaged only 50-60 hrs a month, mostly due to WX and students college and work schedules.

Didn't realize how good I had it until I came to Eagle. Complete control over my schedule, knew everyone I worked with/for. . . all great people. I shoulda stuck around for a piston charter job-25K base +whatever I would make as an instructor.

$21/hour and that was in 1999.. .

Took me three years at the Regionals to earn more than I did as a CFI. Talk about stupid.

It is funny many people look at a 401k as a benefit, not always. An IRA will get you more take home plus, can save you in the long run on taxes.

Mike Oxlong said:
$10 to start 90 days later $15, then $25 to teach in the Seneca. Full health insurance (including dental). Plus the school paid for my ASES and my MEI. And we got 2 hours in each plane we could teach in every 120 days, so I got 2 hours in a C172, 2 hours in a M20R, 2 hours in a PA34 and 2 hours in a PA44. It was a pretty sweet CFI job. I think I made around 22,000 a year or so.
Mike, let me bring you up to date on what this job had become (since I find myself back at it). Pay is the same for single engine, now $20 for multi, and no insurance. I think we still get $120 stipend. I have no clue what the current policy is on prof. time. They make instructors pay for their MEI now (no under the table stuff with the instructor). No pit. No free seaplane rating (I'm not sure if they still have the plane). The equipment is still top notch (yeah, the Cessna's are old but they are very well maintained, and Cirrus's are on the way). Gaurenteed students. It's not as good as it once was, but as far as instructing jobs go, there are plenty worse.

Whoops, I see most of my post was already covered. Oh well.

I see that the place I'll be working with this summer charges $33/hr for primary, and $38/hr for advanced.

I may actually stand to make a somewhat decent wage...or not...need to find out.

currently make $20 and hour single and $25 multi with no taxes withheld. we are independent contractors so we pay our own taxes. Daytona Beach local flight school.

gkrangers said:
I see that the place I'll be working with this summer charges $33/hr for primary, and $38/hr for advanced.

I may actually stand to make a somewhat decent wage...or not...need to find out.

You probably want to look into that, my employer charges significantly more than that and all I get is $15.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back