• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How much did/do you make as a CFI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The rates changed with the amount of time I flew. Average pay was 25hr, and I flew around 115-140hrs a month. Only taking days off for Wx or serious hangovers.

enough to get about 4,000 in credit card debt just to live and eat....maybe a drink or two.

w2 said 10,700 dollars hahahahahahahahahahahaaa

Made $26,000+ in 11 months as a CFI last year. Full benefits, never had to be at the airport more than 5 days a month, and never more than 8 clock hours per day.

500 dollar salary per month plus 12 bucks an hour flight time. No bennies. Got the w2 for jan through may and it was for a whopping 5800!

Last edited:
Started at $10/hour in 1999, went as high as $18/hour in 2001, after 9/11 went down to $14/hour (they played the airline thing). All in Orlando, FL at a 61 full time school, partly teaching Tunisians to fly for Tunis Air. Also earned every penny of it ("I do this, Yes????" "No -- BAD" "Oh NO -- BAD BAD I no do, Yes???"). The best word I ever taught a foreigner (no not the band member) was BAD.

Averaged about $30K a year with pay for Hobbs meter, pre-post, plus ground. Offered salary numerous times but turned it down because I made more money hourly. Also received vacation and sick time.

$10 to start 90 days later $15, then $25 to teach in the Seneca. Full health insurance (including dental). Plus the school paid for my ASES and my MEI. And we got 2 hours in each plane we could teach in every 120 days, so I got 2 hours in a C172, 2 hours in a M20R, 2 hours in a PA34 and 2 hours in a PA44. It was a pretty sweet CFI job. I think I made around 22,000 a year or so.

taters said:
Shebles?? in IGM

With that Avatar you look like someone from Kingman! No way was that Shebles. Summer 02' started at $325/week...salaried. Fly your A$$ off but never had to worry about a payckeck(except that it was small). Winter 03' left at $475/week. Bennies??? Yeah the benefit of drinking Coors Lt's with Sr., Sean and Val......stories for days. I miss the place.

First Xmas bonus $100 cash
Second Xmas bonus Single Engine Sea Plane rating......nice.

Worked at 39N -PRINCETON NJ.

Worked for a bitch of a boss who should have been killed in WW2, a drunken son and an old husband with a gun behind his door. Put up with cat crap on our desks every morning, broken ass airplanes and 200 bucks a weeks for sun up to sun down schedules. No appreciation, no bonus, no thank you and just plane old mean people to deal with.

I would do it all over again though because we: Broke the company car, killed a few airplane engines and had to much fun! O well thats price for being a CFI!

Anyone else flight instruct at 39N under those Neirenburg whores?

I used to charge $35 an hour freelance, only had a handfull of students though.

Latest resources

Back