Votes: 42 13.8%
  • 60-90

Votes: 22 7.2%
  • 90 or more

Votes: 68 22.4%

• Total voters
Sending resumes

saviboy said:
Should we send applications via snail mail or email or fax?
At the outset, I will say that I am old-school. I believe in mailing resumes only, and here's why.

I don't believe in faxing resumes. Most people take great pains in preparing a nice, professionally-appearing, perfect document, or have a professional resume writer prepare it. As someone who looks at bunches of faxes regularly, I can tell you that something gets lost in the transmission. While it can convey the information you want, it just does not look as nice, fresh and professional as a resume and cover letter printed on nice paper stock. Aside from that, your flight time numbers can be smeared in the fax. That can be significant because many H.R.'s scan resumes into databases.

I believe that e-mailing resumes can be unproductive for two reasons: (1) H.R. is spammed with resumes. Yours may never be opened; (2) Your resume format, be it Word or WordPerfect, may be incompatible with H.R.'s word processor, so it might not be able to be opened.

I say mail in your resume. If you are in a rush, overnight it.

Now, having said all that, follow the company's instructions. Part of the interview process is evaluating your ability to follow directions. Therefore, despite everything I've just written, if the company instructs you to fax or e-mail your resume and not mail it, do what it instructs. If you e-mail it, try to determine which word processor format the company wants.

Good luck with your job search.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply

bobbysamd said:
At the outset, I will say that I am old-school. I believe in mailing resumes only, and here's why.

I don't believe in faxing resumes. Most people take great pains in preparing a nice, professionally-appearing, perfect document, or have a professional resume writer prepare it. As someone who looks at bunches of faxes regularly, I can tell you that something gets lost in the transmission. While it can convey the information you want, it just does not look as nice, fresh and professional as a resume and cover letter printed on nice paper stock. Aside from that, your flight time numbers can be smeared in the fax. That can be significant because many H.R.'s scan resumes into databases.

I believe that e-mailing resumes can be unproductive for two reasons: (1) H.R. is spammed with resumes. Yours may never be opened; (2) Your resume format, be it Word or WordPerfect, may be incompatible with H.R.'s word processor, so it might not be able to be opened.

Now, having said all that, follow the company's instructions. Part of the interview process is evaluating your ability to follow directions. Therefore, despite everything I've just written, if the company instructs you to fax or e-mail your resume and not mail it, do what it instructs. If you e-mail it, try to determine which word precessor format the company wants.

bobbysamd said:
Now, having said all that, follow the company's instructions. Part of the interview process is evaluating your ability to follow directions. Therefore, despite everything I've just written, if the company instructs you to fax or e-mail your resume and not mail it, do what it instructs. If you e-mail it, try to determine which word precessor format the company wants.

Bobby,

This part of your post is right on the money. You must do what the employer instructs you to do. Most companies are using MS Word, so that format is pretty standard.

I will say this. If you are sending a resume in via email, and the ad asks for a resume "embedded" into the email, it needs to be in a text format. If you simply drop a MS Word or WordPerfect resume into an email, it will mess up the formatting and the HR person will not take the time to even read the jumbled mess.

Also, if you are responding to an online application that asks you to copy your resume into their online form, you must also have a text formatted resume.

The way to avoid "spamming" the company is to put the position title in the subject line of the email.

Kathy

Another resurrected thread.... Anyways, walking resumes in does work, at least for interviews. I'm 5 for 5.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

bobbysamd said:

Now, having said all that, follow the company's instructions. Part of the interview process is evaluating your ability to follow directions. Therefore, despite everything I've just written, if the company instructs you to fax or e-mail your resume and not mail it, do what it instructs. If you e-mail it, try to determine which word processor format the company wants.

Get the resume there however you can. When I was looking I was sending out 50+ resumes a month. So to snail mail that many is very difficult. In addition, if you get some of those monthly newsletters, most only give fax numbers. Most companies with web pages will take an e-mail. It’s a numbers game. The more you can send out the better. For me, that 50 included e-mail, fax and some snail mail. It took me about 6 months before I got a good 135 gig.

I have 13 resumes mailed/emailed and/or 7 online app's completed. I have three that are in need of a follow up and two more possibles that need a resume' or an app. I had two good leads by word of mouth, one resulted in a interview request by the chief pilot (FO on a KingAir B200), I passed it up. I have a real good response from a regional and with luck I will have an interview the second week of January.
I just keep everything written down on a legal pad.
I feel like Aviationinterviews.com is a good indicator of who is hiring at the regional level (and some 135 operators) but, like someone wrote in another discussion the real hiring is'nt going to begin until after the first of the year. You have nine days to get those resume's out. Hurry!

When I got laid off a couple of years ago from a corporate gig (looking for another corporate/charter jet gig), I mailed out 250+ resumes, faxed about 100, and hand delivered another 30. I'm still getting calls over 2 years later from some of those companies.....

"Um, we have your resume on our desk and were wondering if you were interested in flying night freight in our Lear 24" Hahahahahahahaha, Click!

I tried emailing, faxing, mailing, filling in on-line applications, cold-calling, and networking. I was feeling lucky when I was at least acknowleged by a rejection letter. So I hit the road looking for a job in a place I'd like to live in. I went to every aviation company in the city, and did everything I could to get past the secrataries who are there to protect the chief pilots from resume submittals. It took repeated visits or hanging out in the lobby for an ambush around closing time. Did I feel obnoxious? Yeah, but I got a job. One guy kept bringing in donuts every week with his resume, and they eventually caved in and hired him.

I have over 4000 hours 135 PIC multi multiple jobs no accidents and a college degree with a proffesionaly written resume and I can't get ANYBODY to call me. F%$k the Airlines

Latest resources

Back