• 30-60

Votes: 42 13.8%
  • 60-90

Votes: 22 7.2%
  • 90 or more

Votes: 68 22.4%

• Total voters
tittyjet said:
Go to this website and order either this book, or the CD. It is THE premiere listing of all certificated airines, charter operators, manufacturers, and parts suppliers in the world. It contains fleet size, type(s) of a/c flown, types of a/c on order, engines on lease, etc., as well as names addresses, and phone numbers of officers, managers and department heads It is published by the same people who publish Aviation Week & Space Technology. No one who is serious about selling a product, service, or themselves to the world's aviation industry would be caught dead without it:

Print Version
only $265.00 (regular cover price $490: save $225!)
One-year subscription, 2 editions
Please add shipping & handling:
US/CAN - $19.95 All Other - $29.95

CD-ROM Version
only $795 (regularly $995)
Includes 1-year print subscription, 2 editions.

Internet Version
only $595 (regularly $695)
Includes 1-year print subscription, 2 editions.

Kind of expensive?

135Jobs said:
Try www.135jobs.com - it has all 135, 121 and other companies with wealth of information about them.

Is this a pay to use site?
How do we approach this site? List the places in say, Ohio, and look for aircraft we can/qualified to fly, and send them a resume?

First of all, welcome to the club. As someone once said to me, "You are where we once were. Some day, you will be were we are now, but not now". (Shudder).

Second, try http://raa.org/members/AirlineDirectory.htm

It is free, it has many 135 and 121 operators, and lists their fleet info and contact numbers. Edumacate yourself about which aircraft need a SIC . . . . since you are a ways from meeting Part 135 IFR PIC minimums . . . .

Third, what the sales dude said is right. Invest in a good contact management software program, like ACT!. Make a database (or actually, databases- for 135, corporate, and airline). Make a form cover letter for each, since 135, corporate and airline cover leters are different. Then, start sending them in, with follow-up phone calls and resume updates. Work it, dude.

Even when I was a 135 jet captain with a good job, I still sent out 10-20 resumes a month . . . . . no one is going to hand you anything, and you need to keep irons in the fire, in case your job goes away, or to find the neext step up.

Hate to tell you this, but the first few jobs you get will probably suck after the thrill wears off, so you will keep on sending resumes and applications for years . . . . and then, hopefully, you won;t have to send out anymore, but you never know. Just ask a TWA guy . . . . or a Pan Am guy, or an Eastern guy, or a Braniff guy . . . . . .

Good luck.

Good luck.

gizbug said:
Is this a pay to use site?
How do we approach this site? List the places in say, Ohio, and look for aircraft we can/qualified to fly, and send them a resume?

For Ohio, select "Address" and put in "OH" or "OHIO" to the left of the Search button. Also, you can click on "Great Lakes" region and that will narrow down the geographic area. Hit the green-blue Search button and it will give you company names, FAR parts the company is certificated under, and aircraft types they fly.

Now, for narrowing down on aircraft types, click on "Advanced Search". Say, you are looking for LearJet operators. You should put in "LR-" next to "Aircraft Type:". For Lear 60, put in LR-60. Aircraft Type is a link and shows you all types that you could put in.

Yes, this is pay to use. For free, you can get names of places and more... Members get addresses, phone numbers, incident and accident record of the operator and lots more - exactly the information you want to know if you were to get on with the company. Just look under "Sample Certificate Page".

Thanks for looking

I never said the World Aviation Directory would be inexpensive, but when you get a couple of solid job leads by using it, I don't think you'll be bitching.:D :cool:

Tittyjet just gave me the worst flashback to my old medical sales job! Please don't say "let's compare apples to apples" or anyting like that or I'll probably freak out. :)

Seriously though, that's just good advice. I recently called the FAA for some questions I had about students and got to talking to the guy about my future and what I wanted to do. He said he checks guys out for 121 all the time, and a lot have only 600 hours or so. His idea was the "dartboard theory". You just keep throwing darts (resumes), until one hits the bullseye. It might be quite a few tossed, but you'll never get the bullseye without throwing some darts. Sounds dumb, but it did inspire me, and I'm going to follow his advice once I get some multi time under my belt.

Regards,

Lab

:cool: [/B][/QUOTE]
Trust me on this one; as someone who was an executive in sales for the world's largest aviation insurance broker, I know what I'm talking about.

plan your work and work your plan.

If you were working for me and told me you had contacted 70 prospective clients, I would say, "that was before you went to lunch, right?"

Go rent the movie Wall Street and watch how Bud Fox hounds and hounds the secretary until he gets the meeting with Gordon Gekko then, take the effort he put in, multiply it by fifty, take that number and cube it, and you might be working hard enough in your new found sales job to make the ultimate sale -- yourself to a prospective employer.

All sales managers are in love with Gordon Gecko and Bud Fox. It's the names, they sound so cool-guy. Tommy Boy is another favorite to quote.

I remember my old cronies and I, on our quarterly sales meetings, we'd all fly to Madison and get wasted and quote our boss. At meetings, one of us would cough every time he used a sales quote like "apples to apples" or "work your plan and plan your work". Sometimes it sounded like we all had some sick days coming up. :p

I do miss those guys though, sales guys are the most fun bunch of guys ever once they hit the town. Especially a party town like Madison. But pilots aren't slouches either.

Cover Letter w/ Fax?

If someone tells you to fax them a resume, do you send a cover letter also via fax?

Cover letters

gizbug said:
If someone tells you to fax them a resume, do you send a cover letter also via fax?
Absolutely. Always send a cover letter with your resume, just as if you were mailing it.

Cover letters are very important. A cover letter orients the H.R. morons as to why you are applying for the job and provides a thumbnail sketch as to how and why you meet their quals and what you can contribute to their company. Don't give cover letters short shrift. On the other hand, don't ramble on in your cover letter. For one thing, the people who should read such cover letters do not, and those that do have neither the time or the inclination to read a page blackened with prose. Keep your cover letter to the point.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your efforts.

Last edited:
Hey Labbat, try this one on for size:

I think we need to think outside the box here a little, guys; what we need is a paradigm shift. I've seen way too many of you spending too much time in the office lately -- if you're in the office, you're not doing your job; there are no suspects in here!!! Focusing a little more on our hit ratio, the net result will be that we will all realize our full potential for Q 3 and 4. When we get out of here, I really want us to hit the ground running. Don't waste your time with technical buyers, get in front of the econimic buyers so that we can get a few to go in our favor -- that'll really turn the tide, and we'll all reap the rewards when bonuses go out at the end of the year. Stay on message all of the time that you're in their face, whether that be on the golf course, in their office, at lunch, or in a titty bar. Relate it all back to the product because, after all, that's why you get that paycheck at the end of every month. Trust me -- you don't want to get caught with your pants down on this one; it's getting late in the second half, and we need to put some points on the board, so let's lay those ears back and get to work.

Remember, when you work hard, you can play even harder. Oh, and don't forget to have those activity reports to me by the close of business on the 6th.

Pretty fair for someone who's way out of practice, huh??

Latest resources

Back