Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flying Illini

Hit me Peter!
I was just reading the article in Pro Pilot about survival. I'm curious, how many of you (especially you long-haul, international guys who spend a lot of time over unpopulated hostile terrain including water) carry survival gear? Does your company maintain a kit that you throw in the airplane for trips that could require it? If you do carry a kit, whether you made it and it's your personal kit or the company maintains one, what do you have in it?

I'm talking about other than the FAA mandated equipment like rafts and life-vests. They mention a weapon (hunting rifle) and knives, cold wx gear, reverse-osmosis water pump, warm wx gear, fishing equip., matches, etc. Do you carry an extra ELT? What else should you take?

Does your company ever mention to your pax that they should bring appropriate gear in case the worst happens? I bring this up b/c I doubt your personal kit or the company provided kit can carry enough winter clothing for 10 people.

Thanks for the responses...just curious what you folks who face this do. If you do have these items, what do you pack them in? You wouldn't want them to sink if you ditch and you want them to survive an impact with land as well. A big molded plastic case with 4 or more latches? What?

Thanks for the responses.

FI

semperfido said:
no extra gear:)
That's the how our company and our Falcon 900 guys seem to handle it.
"We've got three engines, (or in the case of the G, two really big engines), what could go wrong?!" ;)

Thanks for the response!

Last edited:
Our company went to an outdoor supply store and bought a bright yellow, heavy nylon duffle bag. In it we stock: Flares, water tablets, light weight blankets (the ones that make you look like a baked potato), matches, etc., and I usually throw 10-15 bottles of water in for good measure. We train inhouse that if we have time, we'll take supples from the galley and stuff into the bag. The challenge is keeping the bag boyant so if you had to toss it out the window it doesn't go straight to the bottom.

As far as weapons...only if we're on our way to a hunt which, when going to Europe, is NEVER. Besides, what the he11 are you going to shoot in the ocean? ;)

Out of a 8-9 hour flight to Europe, only 4-6 hours is spent over water, depending on winds and direction of flight. Going to Alaska, we do spend a fair amount of time over Canada where it would be a long and painful hike to the nearest civilized area should the need arise.

2000Flyer

You fly a 2 engine Falcon over the Atlantic??

:eek: :) .

2000flyer said:
Our company went to an outdoor supply store and bought a bright yellow, heavy nylon duffle bag. In it we stock: Flares, water tablets, light weight blankets (the ones that make you look like a baked potato), matches, etc., and I usually throw 10-15 bottles of water in for good measure. We train inhouse that if we have time, we'll take supples from the galley and stuff into the bag. The challenge is keeping the bag boyant so if you had to toss it out the window it doesn't go straight to the bottom.

As far as weapons...only if we're on our way to a hunt which, when going to Europe, is NEVER. Besides, what the he11 are you going to shoot in the ocean? ;)

Out of a 8-9 hour flight to Europe, only 4-6 hours is spent over water, depending on winds and direction of flight. Going to Alaska, we do spend a fair amount of time over Canada where it would be a long and painful hike to the nearest civilized area should the need arise.

2000Flyer

We don't carry a survival kit in the jet. However, to minimize risk my boss keeps all of our flights under 2 hours and limits us to only 10-15hrs of flying per month.

This allows me ample free time to fly my buddy's Super Cub all over Idaho. In the Cub we carry sleeping bags, a gun, fishing tackle and satellite phone. Our Cub emergency training is done in-house (usually sitting around the BBQ). In the event of a crash, the sat phone is to be used to call home and report fishing conditions/request supplies.

:D

Oh yea...she did. AND she was an awsome F/A. But she moved to FL.

I cried when she left, I'm not proud.

In a former life, one of my captains told me that the reason they had flight engineers was so that the captain would have something to feed on in case they ever crashed in the wilderness. Does that count?

'Sled

Latest resources

Back