Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many of United's L-1011s are still in service?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, we had them for a time but it was one of those things like being an orphan. There weren't enough of them to make keeping them viable and at the time, about the only thing we WEREN'T flying were DC-9s. We needed to pare down the number of fleets anyway. I bet they weren't here for a year.

That being said, I have heard that they were an excellent airplane. I know Lockheed had a great tradition of building some great airplanes. For those with some experience in the 1011, can you talk about it a little and tell why it had the reputation that it did.

Thanks

UAL78

then why is ATA the only opererator in the US with only 5 total ships..if the L10 is so great?

The same reason the 727 or DC-8 is considered the greatest plane ever by a lot of folks. You don't see a whole lot of them flying either. I know some people who say the DC-3 was the greatest plane to fly.

Just because it is a great pilot's airplane doesn't mean management will keep it around forever!

Seems to me to be a silly question.

UAL78 said:
That being said, I have heard that they were an excellent airplane. I know Lockheed had a great tradition of building some great airplanes. For those with some experience in the 1011, can you talk about it a little and tell why it had the reputation that it did.

Thanks

UAL78

There was a good thread on PPrune a couple years ago I think re the L1011. I think the overall judgement was great airplane, way ahead of it's time. Lots of mechanics hated them, because they were different, were "orphans" and the manuals and training material was dated. But the older guys who'd been around when they were introduced and knew the secrets and tricks, liked them fine. The "old guys" are about all retired now, so that knowledge is about gone from the ramps.

Dad flew them for a dozen or more years and loved it. Best jump seat I ever rode too. You could almost play ping-pong in that huge cockpit. The DLC system was awesome.

Check here:

http://trijets.net/tristar/

PHXFLYR said:
I believe Kallitta operated several cargo converted L1011's during the Mid 90's if I remember correctly.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Yeah, I remember jumpseating on a Kalitta L1011 a few years ago. They had one particular aircraft that had a basterdized, sort of f%cked up paint scheme. I think they used to call it "double ugly" or something like that. It may have been an ex-BA L1011.

Yes they did.

298131.jpg

flitnabudih said:
I don't think UAL ever had the L-1011. When they bought pan am's pacific, they got 747 SP's but they didn't last long.

Duh! What do you think we have talking about for the last umpteen posts?

More trivia:

For a little while, Eastern Airlines operated the DC-10-30 and the 747-100. Not sure where the -10's came from or how long they flew them for, but the 747's were leased from Pan Am.

Delta also operated the 747 for a short time, as well as the DC-10. They also operated the A310 for a short time.

Shortly after the AirCal purchase, American Airlines operated 737-200's and 737-300's.

Northwest operated 757-200's with RR powered engines shortly after the acquiring Republic. Republic had ordered them with RR engines, and Northwest got rid of them when the Pratt powered 757's showed up.

Both United and American operated the 747SP.

Remember Air Florida? They operated DC-10-30 service with aircraft on lease from TransAmerica.

AA got the 747SP's from TWA...N601AA and N602AA where the only 2 SP's AA had.

I remember when Delta flew the A310...saw a few in DFW when i was a kid in the early 90's...they flew those suckers EVERYWHERE...do an airliners.net picture search on them..Those DL DC-10 looked SWEET too..

Latest resources

Back