Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many of United's L-1011s are still in service?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How many L-1011s does United still have in service? I think they got those from the PanAm purchase. They are probably a whole lot cheaper to operate on long thin routes than a 747.

Check the tail-number on that United L-1011..Pure Pan AM.

As for cheaper to operate than than the 747s..Sure, also less load and less range...Heck, take the motors of any airplane and it won't burn no fuel at all.

Bargain ain't it Einstein? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
One of the flight attendants I flew with today is furloughed from ATA. She was flying on the L1011. She said all of the flying for the L1011 is for the U.S. military flying troops around. She also said they were always breaking down and things were MEL'd all of the time. I guess that's part of the reason why no one else flys them anymore.

United acquired L1011-500's from Pan Am when they purchased some of their routes in the late 1980's. Most of these aircraft were then acquired by Delta circa 1990 or so. I was in MTC at DL then and remember them as low time airframes in very good condition and largest seat pitch I had ever seen in 1st class. I could almost lay down on the floor between seat rows lengthwise. Dl of couse changed that when we refitted them.

bicycle said:
ATA only has 5 left , 4 500s and 1 100. I think we're the only US operaters with them. Best aircraft in the world.

then why is ATA the only opererator in the US with only 5 total ships..if the L10 is so great?

XTW said:
Delta, Eastern, United, TWA, Pan AM, Rich, Air America, ATA, Arrow, FineAir. Those are the ones that come to mind.

X

I believe Kallitta operated several cargo converted L1011's during the Mid 90's if I remember correctly.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Latest resources

Back