Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How Many Months Supply of Excess Pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you have a family? its kind of limiting.
BINGO! Give that man a cigar.

If you have a wife who won't relocate, or you're divorced with custody that switches weekly, you're screwed. Period. Like me.

There's only one or two true "commuting" gigs that exist right now, and even those are hard on a family guy. The others? Forget it. You're stuck.

Halin', not sure where you're equating G.A. Corporate pilots don't equal "professional" pilots? Maybe you meant "Major/Legacy" pilots, as I know the corporate scene will open up greatly in the next year - we're already seeing a LOT of movement in the Part 91 heavy iron market, and recruiters haven't gotten it through their head yet that "Typed and current" is going to very quickly be impossible to find. It'll take a year or so of not being able to staff before they figure it out - happens every up-turn.

Hang in there!

I understand family obligations, I referred to people that do have this opportunity but chose not to.

...and recruiters haven't gotten it through their head yet that "Typed and current" is going to very quickly be impossible to find.
Man, don't get me started on those HR nazis...

BINGO! Give that man a cigar.......... we're already seeing a LOT of movement in the Part 91 heavy iron market, and recruiters haven't gotten it through their head yet that "Typed and current" is going to very quickly be impossible to find. It'll take a year or so of not being able to staff before they figure it out - happens every up-turn.

Hang in there!
have to agree all part of the 2012 hiring boom

BINGO! Give that man a cigar.

If you have a wife who won't relocate, or you're divorced with custody that switches weekly, you're screwed. Period. Like me.

There's only one or two true "commuting" gigs that exist right now, and even those are hard on a family guy. The others? Forget it. You're stuck.

Halin', not sure where you're equating G.A. Corporate pilots don't equal "professional" pilots? Maybe you meant "Major/Legacy" pilots, as I know the corporate scene will open up greatly in the next year - we're already seeing a LOT of movement in the Part 91 heavy iron market, and recruiters haven't gotten it through their head yet that "Typed and current" is going to very quickly be impossible to find. It'll take a year or so of not being able to staff before they figure it out - happens every up-turn.

Hang in there!

Maybe I should define GA. I know that the feds define it as anything Part 91. I define it as anything/anyone that does NOT require a CPL or ATP. I'd love to find a corp. gig in DFW. It's always been a tough nut to crack. It IS the epitome of the GOBN, hence almost no adverts. on the "orange pages." I do know that Student and PPL apps are down quite a bit.

I commuted to the Cayman's for six months. From GCM to DFW via FLL (mostly). Home a full 6 days/mo. I'm a divorced dad, don't want to leave my kid behind. Current wife is ex-ATA FA (24 years), and has no interest in living overseas having seen it many times, but she's "coming to terms" that I might have to. I've heard first hand experiences from my compadres that went to SpiceJet, Air India (almost went there myself as DEC), KAL, Viva Macau (defunct), Shenzhen, Arik, Turkish, and Emirates. KAL is the best deal out there IMHO.

Timing is everything. I'm sure that is a factor to many. I always have a bad sense of it. I'm illiterate to tea leave reading as well.

Should we be as shocked about those that would turn a job down at a "legitimate" operation due to low pay? Look at the 1st year pay on APC. I mean really. I made more on unemployment than some of those "operations." No matter your experience, you're not rewarded or respected for it. Unions and management collude to make it that way.

Hi!

The FAA forecasts that by next year there will be fewer than 69,000 student pilots in the U.S. That is down about 30 percent in the past 10 years, and is barely a third of the record levels of student pilots flying in the late 1970s and early 1980s
From what I understand, the KAL job is pretty good for DECs, but not very nice at all for FOs. Some ATA guys got on at Atlas, and I heard that World (rumours hiring at the end of the year, along with SWA) was going to give preferential interviews to ATA guys. Emirates and Turkish are hiring like MAD! (EK only for FOs, so far).

cliff
LFW

Should we be as shocked about those that would turn a job down at a "legitimate" operation due to low pay? Look at the 1st year pay on APC. I mean really. I made more on unemployment than some of those "operations." No matter your experience, you're not rewarded or respected for it. Unions and management collude to make it that way.

Sometimes precisely due to your family you may have no better option than to seek employment abroad or in my case, remain abroad. Out of the four decades that a pilot has in this business (assuming entering at mid 20's and retiring at mid 60's) you will have a very different perspective depending on which of these decades your point of view is based on. I'll be entering my last decade pretty soon and starting at the bottom at one of the jobs currently available would mean a professional and economical reversal since I probably won't see the left seat in the 10 years I got left and I won't have anywhere near the earning potential in the same period. With 15 on and 15 off available to me in the next contract and business class commute I think that the "ship sailed" to start at the bottom at an airline in the U.S. I realize not all the jobs abroad are appealing and the expat lifestyle is not for everyone but like a UAL furloughed that is out here now and I were discussing the other day, he turned 50 recently and is on his third furlough (twice from UAL) he said "it comes a time that you are just too old to start again"

No doubt, my friend. You and I have had this conversation before, I just wish more of the ExPat positions had the T&C's that yours does. Most of them are completely non-commutable, and don't pay nearly as well... :(

I hadn't heard about 15/15, that's excellent! Hopefully I'll get another shot at it, this time when there's not a bunch of current and qualified 757/767 pilots that are on the street. ;)

Fly safe, and have fun out there, amigo! :)

Latest resources

Back