• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

how many failed checkrides is too many

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Obvious BS from TXflyer, but there may be a point to be gleaned from it. Those who fly professionally should not get too wrapped up in it. It is just a job. Not everyone who comes through an assembly line flight school should or deserves to be in this business. It should not be about money, but then again you should at least be able to support yourself or a family. I would leave aviation in a minute if I saw my only earning potential in the next few years to be minimum wage. Heard today from a ramp agent that the Skyway Shorts 360 crew based here gets $300 week flying 100 hrs a month. That's insane.

not very forthright

TX flyer probably started flying at 17... he/she is now 26.. 9 yrs... has 8000+ hrs, so let me get this right. He/she averaged a min of 888 hours per year while getting ratings and what not, while also completing undergrad, then your law degree... YOU BUSY BUSY PERSON... You must never sleep! You probably make a great lawyer telling stories like that!

I've just seen TXflyer's posts to other threads. What an idiot. I withdraw my post above. He has no point.

Just do a search for the kids name and read away... really a bothered soul.

TMMT:(

I like how this thread quickly changed from checkride failure and its potential effect on future job interviews, to ripping on TXFlyer. Too bad this won’t be enough to shut him/her up. (I bet its a him/child)
I'd like to think the majority of us that are pursuing a career in aviation as a professional pilot aren't in it for the money, were in it for the love and romance of flight. If I wanted quick money I would have became a male prostitute. But where's the honor in that?
:rolleyes:

I failed my initial cfi twice. Tell them the truth if they ask, plus what you learned from each failure. I got a class date at Vanguard last week, so I guess the failures can be over looked.
Good Luck
FD

TXflyer said:
I failed my IR once, then washed out of B737 training because I went to law school and am now, at age 26, making 10 times as much as I would being a CFI or an F/E. Gotta love getting a check for $8,347 per month....AFTER taxes. I'm buying my own plane next month.

Gee TXFlyer... You said in another post you make $125,000 per year and now you say your take home pay is $100,164... by my rough calculations that puts you in a 20% tax bracket.... BUT someone making $125,000 per year would be in the 30% tax bracket (don't ask me how I would know that ;) )...

Sounds like maybe the IRS might be giving you a visit... oh and that is just Federal Withholding... what about all the other stuff such as Social Security, FICA, State, etc...????

:: sniff sniff :: Whats that smell??? What is this brown stuff all over my boots!?!? Man, I didn't know there were any bulls around here but there sure is a lot of BULL$HIT going around!

Loose the attitude TXFlyer, NOBODY is impressed... There are a LOT of guys on this board making the same or more than you are "claiming" to make and you don't see them tooting their own horn... You know why? Cuz when you make this kind of money, you don't give a $hit who knows and you don't really care... And you certainly don't see anyone going around bragging about it...

Grow up... and as far as "Washing out of B737 Training"... Isn't those quicky Type Training Courses only like a 5 or 7 day course? HHhmmm.. couldn't hack it, huh? Oh, and TXFlyer, if being a pilot isn't what you want to be, then why the "8,000 hours" in your profile??? Feeling a little inadequate with all these real pilots here??? :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I did fail my pvt and my initial cfi. I recall learning that COEX would not hire me at the time I was interviewing with them even though those check rides were more than TEN years prior to the interview. I was appalled. There should be a statute of limitations not allowing rejection of a potential employee based on something that happened more than ten years ago and is of a minor, noncriminal nature. What about the recovering alcoholic who has been sober for more than ten years? That's quite an accomplishment to have alcholism and be sober for that long!! That if anything should not be punished!!

It's not fair to punish people for things that happened in the distant past and have not occurred again for more than ten years.

To avoid this kind of situation, applications should be required to ask: "have you failed a check ride in the past ten years?" (or use five years--USAirways had this question on the application which I liked to keep things fair)

Limit background checks to ten years and keep the FAA from giving out detailed records that are more than ten years old--keep that old information private!! People should not be punished for old, long-ago events.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back