Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many Delta Pilots thinking of leaving?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I spent 30 minutes in my ACPs office three days ago wanting to bring a buddy in that has 1500pic(commuter guy), but he said the average guy right now has 2500 to 3000pic. He also said they like to see lots of updates on your resume and get as many FedEx guys to refer you as you can it makes a difference. You will hear of folks with less hours getting hired but they usually have some weight behind them (Smith, Lewis, or a 2 digit employee number) It does matter who you know.
What I found interesting he said he didn't like the furloughed guys. He didn't like giving someone a second chance (that didnt' choose FedEx in good times) when other guys haven't had a first chance. He also said he could walk in a new hire class and pick out the furloughed guys every time.
To back that up another buddy LCA on the 72 panel said they had been having attitude problems with furloughed guys going through IOE and that some of the LCAs were recommending they not hire the guys. So, if you are furloughed and get hired be happy, there are a lot (most actually) that chose FedEx for growth and job security when we could have gone to any airline. So acting like you've taken a step down doesn't go over very well. I'm sure most guys guys love it at Fred's place but it only takes a few to mess it up for the good guys out there.

ASSumptions

There are assumptions being made here that need to be quashed.

Just because someone flies for another airline does NOT mean they didn't want FedEx. As majors go (went), whoever hires you first, you go to.

If Joe Pilot wanted Fedex, but didn't know enough (or the right) people to get an interview, and in the mean time got an interview with, and hired by Delta, all of a sudden, FedEx is OUT of the picture because of the FedEx policy of not interviewing those working at an airline, NOT because Joe Pilot didn't choose FedEx in good time.

On the guys with the attitudes, too bad they weren't stopped in the interview process. We all know there are some clowns in our profession. It is hard to imagine somebody having a bad attitude in that situation, they must just be mad at the world.

MemTrash said:
I spent 30 minutes in my ACPs office three days ago wanting to bring a buddy in that has 1500pic(commuter guy), but he said the average guy right now has 2500 to 3000pic. He also said they like to see lots of updates on your resume and get as many FedEx guys to refer you as you can it makes a difference. You will hear of folks with less hours getting hired but they usually have some weight behind them (Smith, Lewis, or a 2 digit employee number) It does matter who you know.
What I found interesting he said he didn't like the furloughed guys. He didn't like giving someone a second chance (that didnt' choose FedEx in good times) when other guys haven't had a first chance. He also said he could walk in a new hire class and pick out the furloughed guys every time.
To back that up another buddy LCA on the 72 panel said they had been having attitude problems with furloughed guys going through IOE and that some of the LCAs were recommending they not hire the guys. So, if you are furloughed and get hired be happy, there are a lot (most actually) that chose FedEx for growth and job security when we could have gone to any airline. So acting like you've taken a step down doesn't go over very well. I'm sure most guys guys love it at Fred's place but it only takes a few to mess it up for the good guys out there.

Flame bait. 5 total posts. I'm in upgrade training and it just ain't so!

JethroF15 said:
Flame bait. 5 total posts. I'm in upgrade training and it just ain't so!
The beginer of this thread was flame bait trolling, so it's not surprising.

PurpleTail said:
FedEx is/will consider a current furloughed pilot on a case-by-case basis but WILL NOT consider anyone that is actively employed at another major...that I know of.

oh really? they hired 2 freinds of mine from UPS.

If you want to fly for FedEx, send in an application.

Don't let some anonymous poster at Flightinfo talk you out of it.

I can't say much about Delta but our Comair guys are starting to get worried about the next paycut. So far every crew I've met is going to stay. We're a regional..lol

lmevans1 said:
I can't say much about Delta but our Comair guys are starting to get worried about the next paycut. So far every crew I've met is going to stay. We're a regional..lol
At this stage of the game, what can a guy do now anyway?

We had at least 31 guys retire on average of 2.5 years early on Friday at DFW alone. Some actually retired mid-sequence. That would be my dream; retire via ACARS message! There are some rumors that AMR may look at Chapter 11 before the 17th so we can use the same rules as everyone else. Guess we'll know soon.

Unit

Last edited:
Mark me down as actively searching. Not that I want to leave, mind you. I just don't want to find myself furloughed again with no place to land.

And for those of you wondering about my background, I was hired by Delta in 2000 complete with the "welcome to the last job you'll ever have" speech. I spent 2.5 years on furlough and was recalled about 1 year ago.

And yes, while on the street I tried to reinvent myself outside of aviaiton. Try as I might, I could not convince myself to learn to love a desk. Indeed, I am a hard core, repeat offender and blame the airplane sickness on my parents (I am a 3rd generation aviatior with twisted DNA).

Most everyone in the bottom 1500 of the seniority list (not including the 475 actively furloughed) are in peril. I don't know how many are looking for a new line of work, but I can personally verify that recently there have been pilots with more than 7 years on the property who have quit and started over at Brand X.

For what it is worth, I believe there is a place for everyone in commercial aviation. As such, I would caution everyone to be nice to their first officer as they might one day swing gear for him at their next company.

Latest resources

Back