Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many Delta Pilots thinking of leaving?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mookie said:
"stews"---how 80's...

Mookie

Never saw Austin Powers, eh? "Sexy Stews...."

Bye Bye--General Lee

Austin was from the 60's....yeah...I saw it...a few times... and in no part of any of the three movies did he EVER say "Stews." Nice try.

Are you training to be a "Cage Fighter?" it would explain alot.
Mookie

Last edited:
Mookie said:
Austin was from the 60's....yeah...I saw it...a few times... and in no part of any of the three movies did he EVER say "Stews." Nice try.

Are you training to be a "Cage Fighter?" it would explain alot.
Mookie

You are incorrect. I saw it on an original preview for Austin Powers (the original). He woke up on the plane with Liz Hurley and saw some of them and said "Look at the sexy stews.." She told him they were now called Flight Attendants. I then started calling them that (mainly in my head). And, no cage fighting for me. I prefer good debate on this forum.

Bye Bye--General Lee

give me the dvd time and scene number, b/c I just watched that part of the movie (i know, too much time on my hands...) but you are wrong...

have fun with "LaFonduh" in HNL. Also, you might want to check out "Honolulu Hookers" on HBO before you go. food for thought.

Mookie

JethroF15 said:
Flame bait. 5 total posts. I'm in upgrade training and it just ain't so!

Hey JethrowF15,
I upgraded months ago (not sure why upgrade training matters) and I was just relaying what my ACP told me face to face and what an LCA told me face to face. So, as far as they are concerned it is so.
Now, my information is a week old, so I guess I could be mistaken. After 11 years I've learned things change overnight. If you have something more current I'd love to hear it. I have buddies waiting too.

Not sure what flame bait is but I take it it isn't good?

Mookie said:
give me the dvd time and scene number, b/c I just watched that part of the movie (i know, too much time on my hands...) but you are wrong...

have fun with "LaFonduh" in HNL. Also, you might want to check out "Honolulu Hookers" on HBO before you go. food for thought.

Mookie

I'll have to find the DVD time and number, but when I saw it it was on a trailer for the first movie. And you are right, it was not in the subsequent movie, but I laughed out loud when I heard it, and then used it many times afterwards. I am not making it up.

Never heard of "LaFonduh." I have been there a few times on my own and gone to some nice bars and hang outs. I will try to avoid the Honolulu hookers, though. Our six days from ATL have two HNL layovers (within 6 days) and one 24 hour layover in SLC or SFO currently. Aloha.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Mookie said:

Mookie
The General is correct on this one. It was a scene that never made it into the movie (at least the original theatrical release) but was used in promos. "Bring on the sexy stews, baby!!"So there. I have no further contributions.hoya

av8er2 said:
Wondering, how many Delta pilots sending out your resume to places like Fedex, UPS and Southwest?
I have an "ex" who flies for DAL... he is in his mid-40s, former USAF fighter pilot, ex corp. pilot and regional prop-trash; has been flying since he was a kid. He was on the 757/767 for a couple of years at DAL. After all that, he now makes around 70K, no retirement options and a bleak outlook for the near future. He has been equip. displaced and domicile displaced.

After the company's latest request for even more concessions, he is considering leaving DAL to go to another industry altogether - says it just isn't worth it anymore. Can't say that I blame him.

Last edited:
In your post you state "Tell me where you are coming from please." Well here goes. Based off your other posts in this thread, it sounds as though you like movie quotes. I will lead off with one from Pulp Fiction. Jewels (played by Samuel L. Jackson) says "Well allow me to retort."

How do I get my number of 1500+? It comes directly from Delta management. The same management team that took the best Post 9-11 balance sheet in the entire airline industry and drove the company into the 8th largest bankruptcy in the history of United States.

The management team is not interested in protecting your job or any other pilot's for that matter. They are much like the Terminator. They feel no pity. They feel no remorse. And they will not stop, ever, until your are terminated.

Never make the assumption that they want to keep the airline the same size. Indeed size does not matter. Profitability does. Here's a quote from The Right Stuff: "No bucks. No Buck Rogers. Funding makes those birds fly."

For those of us who are optimistic thinkers and slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night, pilot staffing appears to have turned the corner considering the massive retirements. I for one sure hope so as I will be one of the first to go when the layoffs start.

Unfortunately the staffing assumptions you make are wishful thinking. What airline in the history of commercial aviation has gone bankrupt and not laid off pilots?

Based off my personal conversation with Delta CEO Gerald Grinstein at the top of the jetway one morning, I have been told by The Man that furloughs will occur. Worse, he predicted that DALPA will allow them while allowing PRP's (Post Retirement Pilots for those of you reading and not familiar) to remain on the property. This is not urban legend, gentleman. This is not from a friend of a buddy who knows a guy. This is the cold hard truth as relayed to me directly by the CEO.

It is frustrating to note that the day before my discussion Mr. Grinstein was contradicted by the Flight Ops VP who said furloughs are not needed.

And therein lies the rub. How can Delta expect to survive in its present size, shape, and form when the CEO is not in lock step with his team?

That is the key take away. It will not. Don't get me wrong. I hope and literally pray that Delta will not become another footnote along side Pan Am, TWA, Braniff, Eastern, and the long, distinguished list.

Here's another movie quote. This time from Wall Street. Gordon Gecko, played by Michael Douglas, says when asked why he just liquidated an airline, "Because the sum of the parts is greater than the whole."

While that could be said of most any air carrier in today's climate, this is especially true of Delta considering the amount of debt it is holding and the man who got us there. Mr. Grinstein is well known as a merger and acquisition man.

Now General, back to your post. Your guess is as good as mine. Your case for staffing, while artful and well constructed, is just as big of an assumption as my stated 1500 furloughs, which by the way I totally pulled out of thin air.

So I'll say this again. What airline similar in sized to Delta has gone Chapter 11 and NOT furloughed pilots?

Believe you me I hope Delta breaks the mold. Personally I think the odds are against it. Who is to say Sir Richard Branson is not waiting in the wings with a bid for whatever he well pleases to start Virgin USA? Who is to say that The Alabama Teachers Retirement Trust is about to take Hooters Air to the next level? There is an unending supply of good money being thrown at bad business models.

As the old quote goes, "How does one make a small fortune in the airline business. First, start with a large fortune. Then buy an airline. Soon afterwards you will have a small fortune."

Hence, getting back to the spirit of this thread, How many Delta Pilots thinking of leaving?...

I am.

No offense, General. I'm not here to bust your bubble. I'm not here to poke fun at you in a public forum, continue the thread creep further off message, or start a long campaign to win hearts and minds. Your optimism is commendable but like the quote in the movie The Shawshank Redemption so aptly sums it up, "Hope is a Dangerous thing around here."

Hope all you want. Indeed it is far more constructive than worry. But don't leave yourself without a good alternate and a few thousand extra pounds of fuel to get there.

When Delta furloughs, I sincerely hope it does not get to you. In the meantime, in all kindness, I suggest you take the advice I should have acted on a month after 9-11.

That being, "Hope that Delta makes it with you on the property. In the meantime plan that it won't and make your own future."

Here's to VFR days and tailwinds.

V/r
Sky Cowboy

I can tell you that in the last week, I have had three pilots, two mx techs and one flight attendant from DAL wanting to get their resumes done and do interview prep to help them get out of the company.

Their chief concern was what would happen to workrules, pay, and job stability. The flight attendant told me that they (the company) were already doing things to cut back on money, such as per diem decreases. Since I am not at DAL, I really do not know the truth as to what she told me.

Kathy

Latest resources

Back