Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many commerical airline pilots in North America?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is kind of a broad question...could be a little more specific? Legacy, LCC, cargo, all combined? What is your definition of 'commercial pilot'??

I'd ballpark 60-70k.

Last time I was bored enough to look it up, there were 120k or so ATP's in the country, so I would guess 60k or so active and the rest retired types or corporate types.

Last ten years or so the US has stayed right around 600,000 total pilots including private through ATP.

Porch said:
Legacy, LCC, & 121 cargo...

The FAA does not keep a database of only those pilots, other than maybe calling ALPA, the Teamsters, SWA pilot group, and any other airline Unions to get the #'s on their memberships I do not know of any place to get an exact number of active 121 pilots.

Porch said:
Legacy, LCC, & 121 cargo...

I can't remember my source but I recall reading the number of 121 pilot in the US to be in the 50,000 ballpark. If I'm not mistaken I think this came from ALPA.org or alpa's "Airline Pilot" mag. This was circa 2001 or so.

this is from the main page of the ALPA site to give you an idea of what ALPA represents:

"The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA) is the largest airline pilot union in the world and represents 62,000 pilots who fly for 39 U.S. and Canadian airlines. Founded in 1931, the Association is chartered by the AFL-CIO and the Canadian Labour Congress. Known internationally as US-ALPA, it is a member of the International Federation of Air Line Pilot Associations. "

LearLove said:
this is from the main page of the ALPA site to give you an idea of what ALPA represents:

"The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA) is the largest airline pilot union in the world and represents 62,000 pilots who fly for 39 U.S. and Canadian airlines. Founded in 1931, the Association is chartered by the AFL-CIO and the Canadian Labour Congress. Known internationally as US-ALPA, it is a member of the International Federation of Air Line Pilot Associations. "

Now just add up....

APA<--American
IPA<--UPS
SWAPA<--Don't remember who they Represent;)
NPA <--Airtran
Teamsters <--NetJets
OAL<--CAT/Omni/Falcon Air/RIA/Xtra Airways/North American/Miami Air....

ahh heck just go to airlinepilotpay.com and check out how many pilots for each separate company:D.

Latest resources

Back