Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many commerical airline pilots in North America?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just go to http://airlinepilotcentral.com/ and add 'em up.

Funny thing is that ten years ago, the vast majority of airline pilot jobs were at the majors, and the regionals were a fraction of the total. I'll bet if you add them up now, the ratio has shifted the other way. Think about THAT the next time you hop in your shiny new RJ with 70 seats that you're flying for 50 seat wages "for growth".

AOPA used to publish the numbers of people with certificates and current medicals. It was broken down by private, commerical and ATP and i believe it even broke it down by sex. I haven't seen the numbers in quite some time but then again I haven't been looking either

200,000 - commercial pilots. Banner towing - 777 Capt.

Ty Webb said:
Just go to http://airlinepilotcentral.com/ and add 'em up.

Funny thing is that ten years ago, the vast majority of airline pilot jobs were at the majors, and the regionals were a fraction of the total. I'll bet if you add them up now, the ratio has shifted the other way. Think about THAT the next time you hop in your shiny new RJ with 70 seats that you're flying for 50 seat wages "for growth".

The cost of fuel will basically destroy the 50 seat market and the 70 seaters have limited scope. Over the next five years over half of the regional pilot base will be on the street due to this fact.

YourPilotFriend said:
The cost of fuel will basically destroy the 50 seat market and the 70 seaters have limited scope. Over the next five years over half of the regional pilot base will be on the street due to this fact.

OR, there will be no more domestic "mainline". It will all be ERJs and EMBs

Latest resources

Back