How Low Can We Go?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pipejockey

I wanted to post my question here on the regional board as well, to get perspective from regional pilots.

With all the new talk of concessions going around (Frontier, ExpressJet etc) I have been wondering just how little some of you all are willing to go on this job. It makes me sick to hear all these self righteous little eager beavers so willing to give management what they want. We need to understand, whatever is given to management in this day and age, will never, let me repeat that, NEVER, be given back!! What don't some of you understand?

AA is a perfect example. They take huge paycuts to stave off bankruptcy in 2003, and what happens as soon as the company returns to profitability in 2006? The scum sucking pukes in management take about 40% of the profit that year and disperse it amongst 200 members of management. Now the APA is in negotiations and want their reward for staving off bankruptcy. What do they get from these same managers that split up nearly 400 million dollars amongst themselves?? NOTHING!! I mean all they are asking for is 1992 pay plus inflation. Is that so unreasonable?

So back to my question, how little are you all willing to be paid. Just an informal poll. Based on seat and equipment.

...and the record goes 'round and 'round. Either give it a rest and do your best or find a new job, it's that simple. Bitching and moaning on a public forum isn't going to solve anything. In fact it might be detrimental in that, we keep revisiting the crime. We all know this profession is in the dumps, we don't need a reminder every other post. Sorry mate, nothing against you, just the way I see it.

The point of my post is not to bitch and moan but to merely find out what you are all willing to work for? Why don't you post an answer? It seems you are an E145 FO? Give me a number. I don't know what year you are in but lets say year 3. Are you willing to work for 30K in year 3? 25? 20? Are you willing to do it for free, just because you think you are going to upgrade and get some PIC and move on to the majors? By the time the military pilots are given the first dibs, there is little left for guys from the regionals, even back in 2006 and 2007 when some were actually hiring. Now the chances are nill!

Seriously shut the ******************** up.

We are our worst enemies! To go and fly a CRJ900 or E175 for 23.00 an hour seems like we will go really f'in low.

How low can we go? Well MESA ... and Mesa sux.

The point of my post is not to bitch and moan but to merely find out what you are all willing to work for? Why don't you post an answer? It seems you are an E145 FO? Give me a number. I don't know what year you are in but lets say year 3. Are you willing to work for 30K in year 3? 25? 20? Are you willing to do it for free, just because you think you are going to upgrade and get some PIC and move on to the majors? By the time the military pilots are given the first dibs, there is little left for guys from the regionals, even back in 2006 and 2007 when some were actually hiring. Now the chances are nill!

20,000 because I'm obviously doing it now. I don't know how low someone would go. 10-15 years ago, people paid 16,000 to finance their training on a B1900. I think this question has already been answered by past history.

I'd say about 50k, for a 3rd year CRJ FO. I don't say this as a matter of pride, more of just a statement of fact that if I'm married and have kids, I'll need at least 50k to get by. Luckily, I'm a Y2 EMB-120 FO, with no wife and kids, and I'm doing just fine on what I've got. But looking down the road...

And fwiw, I abandoned the idea of flying for a major a long time ago. I guess the possibility of it happening still exists, but I'm certainly not banking on it.

-Goose

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back