How Low Can We Go?

pipejockey

Total Time
0-9000
I wanted to post my question here on the regional board as well, to get perspective from regional pilots.

With all the new talk of concessions going around (Frontier, ExpressJet etc) I have been wondering just how little some of you all are willing to go on this job. It makes me sick to hear all these self righteous little eager beavers so willing to give management what they want. We need to understand, whatever is given to management in this day and age, will never, let me repeat that, NEVER, be given back!! What don't some of you understand?

AA is a perfect example. They take huge paycuts to stave off bankruptcy in 2003, and what happens as soon as the company returns to profitability in 2006? The scum sucking pukes in management take about 40% of the profit that year and disperse it amongst 200 members of management. Now the APA is in negotiations and want their reward for staving off bankruptcy. What do they get from these same managers that split up nearly 400 million dollars amongst themselves?? NOTHING!! I mean all they are asking for is 1992 pay plus inflation. Is that so unreasonable?

So back to my question, how little are you all willing to be paid. Just an informal poll. Based on seat and equipment.

CX880

Total Time
How low can the majors go since they pull the strings.

Captain Morgan

Total Time
-
...and the record goes 'round and 'round. Either give it a rest and do your best or find a new job, it's that simple. Bitching and moaning on a public forum isn't going to solve anything. In fact it might be detrimental in that, we keep revisiting the crime. We all know this profession is in the dumps, we don't need a reminder every other post. Sorry mate, nothing against you, just the way I see it.

pipejockey

Total Time
0-9000
The point of my post is not to bitch and moan but to merely find out what you are all willing to work for? Why don't you post an answer? It seems you are an E145 FO? Give me a number. I don't know what year you are in but lets say year 3. Are you willing to work for 30K in year 3? 25? 20? Are you willing to do it for free, just because you think you are going to upgrade and get some PIC and move on to the majors? By the time the military pilots are given the first dibs, there is little left for guys from the regionals, even back in 2006 and 2007 when some were actually hiring. Now the chances are nill!

ALIMBO

Total Time
Seriously shut the ******************** up.

WSurf

The Smack Down!
Total Time
We are our worst enemies! To go and fly a CRJ900 or E175 for 23.00 an hour seems like we will go really f'in low.

CoATP

Total Time
10k+
How low can we go? Well MESA ... and Mesa sux.

Captain Morgan

Total Time
-
The point of my post is not to bitch and moan but to merely find out what you are all willing to work for? Why don't you post an answer? It seems you are an E145 FO? Give me a number. I don't know what year you are in but lets say year 3. Are you willing to work for 30K in year 3? 25? 20? Are you willing to do it for free, just because you think you are going to upgrade and get some PIC and move on to the majors? By the time the military pilots are given the first dibs, there is little left for guys from the regionals, even back in 2006 and 2007 when some were actually hiring. Now the chances are nill!
20,000 because I'm obviously doing it now. I don't know how low someone would go. 10-15 years ago, people paid 16,000 to finance their training on a B1900. I think this question has already been answered by past history.

Goose Egg

Big Jens
Total Time
3k-ish
I'd say about 50k, for a 3rd year CRJ FO. I don't say this as a matter of pride, more of just a statement of fact that if I'm married and have kids, I'll need at least 50k to get by. Luckily, I'm a Y2 EMB-120 FO, with no wife and kids, and I'm doing just fine on what I've got. But looking down the road...

And fwiw, I abandoned the idea of flying for a major a long time ago. I guess the possibility of it happening still exists, but I'm certainly not banking on it.

-Goose

Last edited:

WSurf

The Smack Down!
Total Time
So why don't you?
Because I have a rich wife! Helps to support my hobby of flying. :)

But if you wanna be the sole bread winner you better not count on regional pay for that.

Last edited:

Captain Morgan

Total Time
-
Because I have a rich wife! Helps to support my hobby of flying. :)

But if you wanna be the sole bread winner you better not count on regional pay for that.
Or marry a girl who understands and doesn't expect diamonds at every turn. It can be done.

Goose Egg

Big Jens
Total Time
3k-ish
Or marry a girl who understands and doesn't expect diamonds at every turn. It can be done.
My thoughts exactly.

Edit: I don't actually know if I would be the "sole" bread winner--that would be up to me and the girl (yet to be determined!). However, if it was a joint decision that I would be the sole breadwinner, we would be able to make it work on regional pay. It's all a question of priorities.

And I wouldn't marry a "girl who expected diamonds at every turn" regardless.

-Goose

Last edited:

11thHour

Total Time
4500+
Doing my part by voting NO on the XJT 'employee funded bailout program'.

Captain Morgan

Total Time
-
My thoughts exactly.

Edit: I don't actually know if I would be the "sole" bread winner--that would be up to me and the girl (yet to be determined!). However, if it was a joint decision that I would be the sole breadwinner, we would be able to make it work on regional pay. It's all a question of priorities.

And I wouldn't marry a "girl who expected diamonds at every turn" regardless.

-Goose
There's a lot of gold diggers out there. The media has made sure of that. They have programmed people to believe that they deserve and need things they don't. They want the 300k house, they want the Suburban, they want the expensive lavish vacations and they expect it too. It's a far cry from what really matters in life. Family, community, and a honest living. These things were found only 20 years ago. I remember saving all year to go on vacation to see my family across our continent. Now, people drop money like it's hot. All thanks to a credit card and cheap travel companies.

Goose Egg

Big Jens
Total Time
3k-ish
There's a lot of gold diggers out there. The media has made sure of that. They have programmed people to believe that they deserve and need things they don't. They want the 300k house, they want the Suburban, they want the expensive lavish vacations and they expect it too. It's a far cry from what really matters in life. Family, community, and a honest living.
MAN am I glad I'm not the only person who feels the same way! It seems more and more that we are in the minority!

-Goose

WSurf

The Smack Down!
Total Time
There's a lot of gold diggers out there. The media has made sure of that. They have programmed people to believe that they deserve and need things they don't. They want the 300k house, they want the Suburban, they want the expensive lavish vacations and they expect it too. It's a far cry from what really matters in life. Family, community, and a honest living. These things were found only 20 years ago. I remember saving all year to go on vacation to see my family across our continent. Now, people drop money like it's hot. All thanks to a credit card and cheap travel companies.
All the above I totally agree with. However try living on a Regional pay of 50k with a wife and kids. You have a mortgage, car, insurance, food, cloths normal bills (Water, Power, telephone). You will see that 50k won't take you far at all. Can it be done? Of course! Can you save anymore money for emergencies? No! Can you save for vactions and your kids future education. Living on the edge pay check to check and having one burp with cause a tailspin.
50k aint gonna do it, unless your wife is working.

I say work hard, try and get a mainline job. The majors will be recovering in 2-3 years and there will be better chances to make 100k-150k and have a much better life then to sell yourself short and settle for a regional job.

I made 75k my last two years, and I can tell you that my family and I are debt free, but even that money really doesnt go far when you have kids and bills. Its nice that I have a wife that makes the same amout of money that I do, and if she didn't I would be pushing more to find a better paying job. But for now I enjoy my QOL and am fortunate enough to live in base and spend a ton of time at home being mr.mom.

Good Luck

Talian

Total Time
A rich wife is one thing but what about self respecting yourself and not working for Taco Bell wages because your are so desperate to call yourself a pilot.
I have a wife that makes great money and benefits but I would never consider flying for a regional in the current state they are in and be their slave to work horrible hours and have no QOL to speak of.
My only choice to fly would be a corporate gig that paid well if I found one.
I own my own business outside of aviation and make well more than any Captain and get to take time off when I want, travel and enjoy life. I would love to fly for a living but when you weigh the options I personally found its not worth it.
I guess if you really love to fly like I did at one time you stick it out but at what expense?
Hopefully one day things will be better and pilots will get the pay and respect they deserve.