How Low Can We Go?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uhm, correction

Goose Egg, you do realize you won't be at 50G for a year 3 crj fo right?

Well, I do now. :) I ran a few numbers, and it does look like it comes out short of $50k. So what I'm going to do is change my answer to $67k, which is what I came up with for a Y6 CRJ CA, which about when I would expect to upgrade. Anything prior to that point is just "dues paying," meaning that the pay might suck, but I'll have a reasonable expectation of a sustainable income later on--therefore all that stuff that was talked about earlier, i.e. savings, vacations, helping children with school, new road bikes here and there, glider club memberships (ok, we didn't talk about the last two, but those are what I would call "luxury" items.) etc., etc., could be expected down the road, even though it couldn't be provided at the moment; it wouldn't be needed at the moment anyway.

Pardon my revision,
Goose

I would look for different kinda work then.

Funny you should mention that. While I have no plans whatsoever to get out of flying altogether, I do have a plan to get some additional schooling... that is when I'm senior enough to bid reserve and not get used very often and have some fairly decent pay when just making garauntee. I'm going to go get a masters in civil engineering (another subject that I've been pretty fascinated with lately, like over the past year.) Then once I get that done, I'll probably bid down to like 65 hours or whatever the minimum is and then do some engineering work on the side. I'll have two different careers that I am "currrent" in, and could provide income in whatever way I needed to.

But let the record show, I have no intentions to quit flying.

I'd do this whether I was married or not just because it's where my interests lie, but the bottom line is that no wife of mine will have to work if she doesn't want to, at least once I get established with a "sustainable" income.

-Goose

Funny you should mention that. While I have no plans whatsoever to get out of flying altogether, I do have a plan to get some additional schooling... that is when I'm senior enough to bid reserve and not get used very often and have some fairly decent pay when just making garauntee. I'm going to go get a masters in civil engineering (another subject that I've been pretty fascinated with lately, like over the past year.) Then once I get that done, I'll probably bid down to like 65 hours or whatever the minimum is and then do some engineering work on the side. I'll have two different careers that I am "currrent" in, and could provide income in whatever way I needed to.

But let the record show, I have no intentions to quit flying.

I'd do this whether I was married or not just because it's where my interests lie, but the bottom line is that no wife of mine will have to work if she doesn't want to, at least once I get established with a "sustainable" income.

-Goose

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha

Okay, sorry.

Now, in all seriousness, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha

Okay, sorry.

Now, in all seriousness, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

ABORT!! ABORT!!! You are right!! It will never work!!! How could I have been so stupid!! Some idiot on flightinfo laughed at me, and my confidence is now completely and utterly deflated! Woe is me!!! Because everything on flightinfo is true!! It's on the internet, so it must be true!!!

Seriously, you just keep those blinders on. Don't ever try to think outside the box. It's too dangerous and scary for you.

-Goose

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea Goose, I am currently doing a degree online and it's working out pretty good. Never stop learning. Turtlesfly is just a bitter XJT pilot. Sorry it's not working out Turtle, don't worry when one door closes another opens. Hope all is well with you guys/gals over at XJT.

Well, you are right. It isn't going well over there at XJT. I'll cut him some slack for that. And good luck to all you XJTers out there. I mean that.

But hey, if I had wanted to avoid mindless ridicule, I probably shouldn't have posted it here! People get on your case for loving flying and tell you to consider other career fields, and then when you do, they get on your case for that! You can't win!!

...unless you don't really care what people have to say until they can put together something cohesive, meaningful, and constructive. Then you're golden.

-Goose

Last edited:
I know my views aren't shared by probably most if not all of the people out there. I believe there is one good facet to this hardship that pilot's are experiencing with regards to pay, qol, benefits, etc. The people who truly don't love it and are riding the coat tails of those who are will leave and rightly so. This isn't a game. For some of us it's a way of life. A way of life that we chose because it makes sense. It makes sense like painting did to Picasso. Those who "paint by numbers" will leave the industry because it wasn't what they really wanted and then a shortage will grant those that are faithful to the industry, the pay, qol, benefits, etc. that we truly deserve.

Wanna know?
Go to this thread and note the original poster. http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=118125
This is your next F/O, think times are gonna get better with him voting on your next contract? fWads like him are your future, he will upgrade fast and be most likely the newest 410 klub member.
PBR

Last edited:
I know my views aren't shared by probably most if not all of the people out there. I believe there is one good facet to this hardship that pilot's are experiencing with regards to pay, qol, benefits, etc. The people who truly don't love it and are riding the coat tails of those who are will leave and rightly so. This isn't a game. For some of us it's a way of life. A way of life that we chose because it makes sense. It makes sense like painting did to Picasso. Those who "paint by numbers" will leave the industry because it wasn't what they really wanted and then a shortage will grant those that are faithful to the industry, the pay, qol, benefits, etc. that we truly deserve.

I am not sure why pilots are programed this way, to always think it will get better. I have been in aviation for 14 year and working for regionals for six. I have been furloughed from one regional and recently I am facing my second furlough. I decided to hang it up in August. I am not trying to be negative but I just can't rationalize this career path anymore. What exactly is the light at the end of the tunnel? I hope someday you guys will get good pay and QOL but for now with the way the industry has been heading the the last 30 years I don't think we will see it for another 30 years, but maybe by that time the retirement age will be 80.

Latest resources

Back