How Low Can We Go?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pipejockey

With all the new talk of concessions going around (Frontier, ExpressJet etc) I have been wondering just how little some of you all are willing to go on this job. It makes me sick to hear all these self righteous little eager beavers so willing to give management what they want. We need to understand, whatever is given to management in this day and age, will never, let me repeat that, NEVER, be given back!! What don't some of you understand?

AA is a perfect example. They take huge paycuts to stave off bankruptcy in 2003, and what happens as soon as the company returns to profitability in 2006? The scum sucking pukes in management take about 40% of the profit that year and disperse it amongst 200 members of management. Now the APA is in negotiations and want their reward for staving off bankruptcy. What do they get from these same managers that split up nearly 400 million dollars amongst themselves?? NOTHING!! I mean all they are asking for is 1992 pay plus inflation. Is that so unreasonable?

So back to my question, how little are you all willing to be paid. Just an informal poll. Based on seat and equipment.

At Gulfstream International, the pilots pay the company to fly paying passengers under a Continental Connection paint job. So your answer is lower than working for free. This job is ********************ed. It is too easy to get your pilot ratings these days. We have too many uneducated pilots that do not realize what you just said above is true.

It's not so easy now that a 152 rents for $100 an hour. According to the FAA the issuance of commercial pilot certificates has steadily declined since 2002.

2002 12,299

2004 9,836

That may mean that only folks with sufficient "family money" are able to afford the training and therefore won't care so much about the levels of pay. Well in addition to those that just love flying that much.

With all the new talk of concessions going around (Frontier, ExpressJet etc) I have been wondering just how little some of you all are willing to go on this job. It makes me sick to hear all these self righteous little eager beavers so willing to give management what they want. We need to understand, whatever is given to management in this day and age, will never, let me repeat that, NEVER, be given back!! What don't some of you understand?

AA is a perfect example. They take huge paycuts to stave off bankruptcy in 2003, and what happens as soon as the company returns to profitability in 2006? The scum sucking pukes in management take about 40% of the profit that year and disperse it amongst 200 members of management. Now the APA is in negotiations and want their reward for staving off bankruptcy. What do they get from these same managers that split up nearly 400 million dollars amongst themselves?? NOTHING!! I mean all they are asking for is 1992 pay plus inflation. Is that so unreasonable?

So back to my question, how little are you all willing to be paid. Just an informal poll. Based on seat and equipment.

Pipejocky,

I see you started in a Metro and flew the RJ....What did those jobs pay to start? Just currious....

I have prepared for getting out if anything where to happen to my job or medical, fattening my non aviation resume and renewing a second passport I have to expand the job market. There is no way I could start out at the bottom of a regional again. Not only would I be miserable never being home I would be bankrupt too.

Last edited:
From Tanker Clown (from the SWA MSP thread)

Hey man, all I know is that retired AF guys more often than not get hired. I heard it's because for a guy like me, SWA is a retirement job. So I won't complain about the contract and want some rediculous pay rate. Heck, I'll take whatever the company gives me since I have a retirement check already on the way.

Think this Air Force dork sums it up. I think he/she (or both) needs to be made aware of what goes on out there in the real world.

'Nuff said.

I have been wondering just how little some of you all are willing to go on this job. What don't some of you understand?

So back to my question, how little are you all willing to be paid.

Mirrors are wonderful things...you obviously don't own one.

Sgt.

Wages will stop declining, when the only pilots left are those that depend on their flying job as their only source of income, excluding wives.

When those that have sideline businesses leave, because it's more lucrative to, and the numbers that have military retirement drop to a level that their voting power is reduced, then you'll see some (not a lot) of change.

Welcome to Supply and Demand. She ain't pretty, is she? :(

Latest resources

Back