Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

how long till Q400 tail strike at colgan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

akseiner

I've been hearing from Fo's that captains are landing with flaps 15 and are landing at 7 and even 8 degrees pitch. The CFM says "tailstrike may occur at 7 degrees pitch"
I've heard at least one captain is telling Fo's that they really should land with flaps 15 all the time.
Are there many captains doing this?
Why would anyone be so anti flaps 35? Yes it buffets a little, but big deal. I can see 15 coming in to newark to keep the speed up a little, but that's about it.

We land most of the time at flaps 15 on the Dash 8 100/300's. And the Dash 8 300's are low riders with lots of bags in the back.

I think we have only had one captain tailstrike it. And he basically stalled the plane on landing. Haven't flown the Q400, but if its approved for flaps 15 landings then I would get so worked up about it.

I actually kinda prefer flaps 15 landings. Seems easier to get smoother landings. Long as you squeak a little power in at about 10ft you shouldn't get above 5 degrees nose up.

I've been hearing from Fo's that captains are landing with flaps 15 and are landing at 7 and even 8 degrees pitch. The CFM says "tailstrike may occur at 7 degrees pitch"
I've heard at least one captain is telling Fo's that they really should land with flaps 15 all the time.
Why would anyone be so anti flaps 35? Yes it buffets a little, but big deal. I can see 15 coming in to newark to keep the speed up a little, but that's about it.

I think a fairer question is...

"How long until a _______ happens at colgan"

Fill in the blank. So much more fun that way.

Yeah everyone knows who this cap is but are afraid to speak up because he has been here forever.

We land most of the time at flaps 15 on the Dash 8 100/300's. And the Dash 8 300's are low riders with lots of bags in the back.

I think we have only had one captain tailstrike it. And he basically stalled the plane on landing. Haven't flown the Q400, but if its approved for flaps 15 landings then I would get so worked up about it.

There have been two tail strikes at PDT within the last six months that I know of. More before that I've heard of. I've heard of one captain with at least two.

I wonder why an AB was put out about bounced landings?

Oh, I don't know? How long did it take for USAirways to have a tail strike with it's A-321s when they were brought on-line. Let's see...How long before AA, Delta or FedEx had a tailstrike with the MD-11? Stupid question once again from another know-it-all Flightinfo moron.

Latest resources

Back