Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How long before you hear from Southwest?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyintin

The other day the Chief Pilot called and after giving me the thumbs up to continue we chatted for a while. We talked about everything, life at Southwest, kids, hobbies, this seemed to go on for over forty minutes while suddenly in the background I heard my wife hollering, “hey hon, it is time to go to work.” It was then I realized I had to quit dreaming and get out there and find answers to maintain sanity.

Can anyone comment on how long before all the letters and calls go out after the DB meets? Some of the guys from my interview group (Oct 2005) have received the letter or a call. I realize not getting the letter is good. Keeping the faith, working on the sanity bit.

Thanks for your time.

Flyintin,
I can't answer your question, but I have one for you: When did you put your app in (with the 737 type I assume) prior to getting the call for the interview, and how much notice on the interview?

thanks

Hey Twin,

Hey Twin,

Received the type in March, applied April, got called a week after I updated with 1500hrs PIC with a choice to interview in three or four weeks later in September. DB meet in October and no call or letter yet.

I had most of my interview stuff ready, thanks to all who posted here, especially Chase.

Good luck to you.

Tin,

Flyintin,

Thanks for the kind words...many on here have taken up the slack over the last year & have done a much better job of updating folks...kudos to those guys...

If you interviewed in Oct your DB will be in mid Nov...phone calls usually go out within a week of the DB (usually meets on a Tues or Wed)....letters arrive 7-10 days after the DB....occasionally someone will get slipped to the next DB for administrative reasons or the letter goes to a wrong address (again very rare)....so for the most part everyone is notified within 2 wks of the DB on whether they made it or not....the one year window to reapply starts on when you interivewed in case you're interested....hopefully that doesn't apply & you'll be sitting pretty come Thanksgiving.....again there are folks reading this right now who were in your exact shoes a year ago & are now here & are enjoying life....at the same time there are just as many who may not have made it & have landed on their feet & are still surviving....there is life without SWA regardless of what folks may say......don't let whether SWA makes a job offer or not determine your attitude toward life or your aviation career....make the most of it & enjoy family, friends & celebrate your faith...things work out for those who generally apply that rule....good luck & thanks for your interest in SWA....& good luck!!!!

Chase- (or anyone that knows)

I'm not sure, but I think someone posted a while ago that they call your LOR writers prior to the DB. (?)

Could Flyintin use that as an indicator about his status ?

320AV8R

Last edited:
320AV8R,

Calls to references (folks listed on the contact sheet you fill out & LORs) are contacted prior to the DB...their comments are a part of the package that is reviewed by the DB for the final decision. Merely having references called shouldn't be construed as "being hired" though....references can be called & one can still not be selected by the DB....just wanted to be clear about that. Good luck to all...

Hello Chase,

Always appreciate your support in this forum.

I did review my post and noticed that my laconic response earlier may have led you to believe that my DB (Decision Board) is yet to meet, you may just be right, I will explain why you may be right and also for the others who may find themselves in this position.

I interviewed in September.

My references got called spanning from the very next day up to a week later. My SWA refs were called first and my CP was the last to be called.

My DB apparently met on the 13th of Oct. Guys in my group have either gotten called or received a letter, at least the ones I kept in touch with and/or vice versa.

If the letter did not get misaddressed then I should hear about my fortune by the end of next week, as you mentioned.

I do want to add another piece of info I picked up these last few days. A noble soul from this forum PM’d me who apparently is in the same predicament indicating that the PD (People Department) stated that if he did not hear anything by the end of next week, then it appears that the DB may have requested additional information and would review again at the next DB. Therefore you may be right.

Also talked to a colleague who did not get called for over two weeks after his DB (July) met.

Thanks to all who have helped along the way.

Flyintin

Flyintin said:
Hello Chase,

Always appreciate your support in this forum.

Flyintin

Bit confused. In your first post you said: "The other day the Chief Pilot called and after giving me the thumbs up to continue we chatted for a while."

You mean a chief pilot from SWA? Because a "call to continue" means you got the job pending your drug test and background check coming back clean and as you claimed.

chase said:
320AV8R,

Calls to references (folks listed on the contact sheet you fill out & LORs) are contacted prior to the DB...their comments are a part of the package that is reviewed by the DB for the final decision. Merely having references called shouldn't be construed as "being hired" though....references can be called & one can still not be selected by the DB....just wanted to be clear about that. Good luck to all...

Chase-

Thanks for the clarification.

320AV8R

Hey Canyonblue737,

Thanks for the interest in the post...

I was dreaming the whole stuff, losing my sanity. Please read the last sentence...

The other day the Chief Pilot called and after giving me the thumbs up to continue we chatted for a while. We talked about everything, life at Southwest, kids, hobbies, this seemed to go on for over forty minutes while suddenly in the background I heard my wife hollering, “hey hon, it is time to go to work.” It was then I realized I had to quit dreaming and get out there and find answers to maintain sanity.

On another note, appreciate your feedback and input that you provide us from time to time.

Take care

Flyintin

Latest resources

Back