• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How Long Before United Dumps Republic?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The CPA will be revisited only depending on the scope in the JCBA. Someone will suffer after the merger. UAL scope it will probably be Xjet, CAL scope it will be RAH, RJet, GoJet, and any other 70+ seat operators.

This information is readily available, and one of the reasons that several pilot groups are not taken seriously is due to the fact that they refuse to make even the smallest effort to educate themselves.

With that being said, the CPA with UAL expires in June of 2019. The CPA is currently for 38 E170's. UAL has no discretionary right, while RAH may be booted "for cause" after a few monthly covenants are broken.

This CPA WILL be revisited after the merger. UAL is eventually going to have to eat the leases on the 170's.

Even so, RAH will have to be careful not to create conflicts with the branded airline. I'm sure UA will sue to get ride of them if that happens.

Is the complete removal of 70 and/or 70+ seat outsourcing one of the biggest deal breakers for the majority of line pilots at the new UCAL? Unless it's one of, if not THE, biggest item of emphasis, it likely won't happen. Scope trend reversal is definately possible but will take massive willpower and bargaining leverage. Two things no legacy pilot group has had in a very long time with regards to this issue. Let's hope you achieve that goal, but if it isn't high on the list (above even pay and retirement if necessary) then I'd be suprised if it happened.

Is the complete removal of 70 and/or 70+ seat outsourcing one of the biggest deal breakers for the majority of line pilots at the new UCAL? .....

I think the issue is the seniority of the UAL pilots on furlough. There has to be a way to bring them back since there are many junior pilots at CAL flying the line.

I think the issue is the seniority of the UAL pilots on furlough. There has to be a way to bring them back since there are many junior pilots at CAL flying the line.

since when has ALPA ever been concerned with a furloughed pilot? Once your 2% stops going to Herndon ALPA could care less about you.

I have no doubt that is a huge issue, as it should be (at least for the UAL MEC).

However I'm sure the company doens't care how the list shakes out other than some relatively minor cost items like longevity bumps for present furloughs and the like. The company would probably squeal about any training events caused by suddenly recalled UAL pilots, especially if it coincided with subsequent CAL furloughs, though I would think neither MEC would sign off on a deal that caused the latter, even if they differed on the "negotiating capital" worthy to spend on the former.

But scope should be and probably is a huge issue given the massive disparity between current CAL and current UAL PWA's and that will have to be reconciled. The company clearly wants UAL scope, while the MEC('s) I'm sure realize CAL scope is MUCH more beneficial to the profession than almost anything going forward with the "large RJ" outsource frenzy. The question is what do they intend on doing about it?

Go for the CAL scope even if it means giving up a LOT of bells and whistles? Or sell it down the river for a UAL/DAL style scope in exchange for a bargaining cookie? While it is predictable that the MEC('s) will say they will insist on CAL scope, CAL scope ending up in th final agreement, IMHO, will take one of the most unified and active grassroots pilot advocacy campaigns not seen in modern history. Is it possible? You bet it is. But ONLY if it is one of the top one or two issues every second of the SLI/single PWA process.

Doing right by the furloughees should absolutely be a battle cry. But that goes hand in hand with rolling back past UAL scope giveaways (those made in bad times to stave off historically empty threats of 1113c scope elimination as well as those made in good times for cookies and XYZ + whatever %). Hundreds of 70 seaters, much less anything larger, will lead to present or future furloughs eventually anyway. This has to be a constant front burner issue for a significant majority of the membership or it simply won't happen.

Anything less and scope WILL be sold down the river for a cookie, guaranteed. JMHO.

Latest resources

Back