Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Alright kids...you are all in timeout.

Yes, it is unfair what UAL is doing.

Yes, it is nice for those guard/reservists.

Yes, the right thing to do would be to extend these priveledges equally to everyone.

Yes, it should be taken up with UALALPA.

Yes, the civilian vs. military fued has really gotten old.

Yes, being on furlough bites...really bites.

Ok, you are all out of timeout.

See

Caveman,

Thanks, I did my retirement ceremony at the MAG last weekend, followed by beers with the troops, followed by a bash at the house. Ran the last guys out at 0100. Nice way to finish up 22 years.

I may not have been entirely clear. We (and all Marine Corps sites) pay for the reservist's lodging on scheduled drills if their residence is at least 50 miles (straight line) from the drilling site. For their ATP's and AFTP's (required participation if they wanted to stay in my unit), they pay for their own rooms. The Navy would often bump my guys out of the BOQ/BEQ (Navy SelRes have priority over everyone at NAS JRB New Orleans). My reservists would then be paying New Orleans hotel room rates out of pocket for the priviledge of drilling. Not every time, but enough times that it was and is a financial hardship on the guys. They still show up though...

We have one Huey pilot who works for Customs, and pays out of pocket to travel to and from El Paso to NOLA twice a month on average . Half the time he's paying for his room out of pocket as well, plus chow and all of the other expenses that you might expect. Hard chargin' guy. He isn't getting rich doing it, at least not monetarily.

I'm with you, the dedication these guys show to the Corps will bring a tear to your eye.

Semper fi,

Travis

The fact that good men stand ready to do violence on my behalf brings tears to my brown eyes.

I say help out the flyboys and grunts all we can given that the pay they receive for the job they do is near scandalous.

I say we give them all the help we can even though what UAL is doing may indeed be wrong; I’m not in a title to critic the UAL position or any US carrier for that matter.

The last time I was out Pendleton way and had a peek-a-boo at those tight pressed uniforms, those boys in blue can hang their boots on my doorstep anytime.

Helping the troopers as best I can.

Ladybug

I believe the airlines should offer ALL Reservists and Guardsman free SA travel privildges to/from their assignments.

We as a country owe these people a heavy debt for their sacrifices.

Hey Knight Rider.......

Canada? You gotta be kidding right. I did my 4 years as a 67N. My Father is retired Army. Military wasn'nt my gig because of the Egos. (The Military guys and Gals know what I am talking about) Now I am a bonified Civilian and proud of it. Doesn't make me any better or any worse. When Albeit wants to stand on a soap box and preach his patriotism because of his special missions makes me laugh. I bet next he is going to tell us he has a secret clearance.

All the other military folks out there God Bless you all and I do apreciate the dedication that you have defending freedom. I guess that is why I am able to write openly on a public forum.

Two points, then I'll quit...

Simon, if you remember your military days (or took a poll of today's military folks) you would find that they quietly demur at the chance to wax patriotic. The military members I know just do their jobs, very well, usually without fanfare or posturing. Once in a while someone articulates the "why" part of service. That is not a crime.

Albie is simply voicing a sentiment that we don't often hear--that there are those among us who are going into harm's way in support of a sometimes ungrateful public. That's it...

Do I want to start another military vs. civilian flame war? Nope.

Second, Caveman and Skiddriver--watch out. Sounds like Dutch Ladybug is sweet on you guys! :D It's the uniform. It's gotta be the uniform...

Fly safe, ya'll...

Eagleflip,

You know, I got the same reaction from another Dutch girl in Amsterdam once...at least I thought she was a girl...:eek:

Let's see, I have a friend who is on furlough from UAL and was sent by his Guard unit to the theater of operations in Nov '01. He just emailed me from his 110 degree oasis (at 9 AM) and said it looks like he will be back in October. Hmmm, almost a whole year deployed. I can send you his email. Maybe he will donate his pass travel privileges to you, pal! Get over it.
Wait a minute! Maybe he can use this privilege to go see his family! Nope, last I checked, UAL doesn't fly into sh&^%$Tvillistan. Unbelievable, "it's not fair, it's not fair...it's not.... (puke)

#1 W

Mike,

No harm, no foul. I buy the next round.

Skiddriver,

Was that Amsterdam or Taiwan?

Dutch Ladybug,

Nevermind. I'll just get myself in trouble.

Latest resources

Back