• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How is QOL at Flight Options?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been with Options almost since the doors opened. I am not of retirement age but I am out of here in mid September: one more rotation to go.

Pilots are leaving Flight Options at an alarming rate. Year to date, over 100 have departed. These pilots are leaving for a variety of corporate and commercial 121 opportunities.

You are not selecting a quality of life at any fractional. You are selecting a life style. You will spend more time with your assigned crew members than your family. You will miss most of the holidays and most of the special family events. You will be the coffee Bitxh for the rich guy and gal in the back. Now here is the good part. It is nice to know that for as long as you remain with the fractionals, no matter which one, you will have reached the limit of your potential in the aviation field. Go to work, stay out X number of days, be coffee Bitxh for rich folks, fight the weather, struggle with maintenance, dispatch, and scheduling and then go home to Pisxed off wife and kids. Oh!, and you will be doing it for peanuts compared to the NBAA average regardless of the state of organized labor within your pilot group.

The Flight Options union drive is under way. But we do not see much organization activity on the road these days. We do not see the stacks of union representation cards in the FBO's and the other Flight Options pilots I see do not speak of the organization effort unless prompted. It seems like the personal "I don't care" factor is at 100%. It is a good bet that the majority of pilots leaving Flight Options were union supporters. I would wager that 75 of the 100 plus pilots departing have sent in the union card. There have not been that many new hires. The constant changes in the pilot roster make it difficult for the organizers to verify the list.

The union vote for Fight Options will happen but not soon. And when the union is certified, it will be several YEARS before the first contract is in place. I have been waiting for almost eight years now and have lost patience.

Mean time, you guys are stuck with what you have now; status quo in contract lingo. Status quo now and status quo years from now.

Anyway guys, bye now and buy bonds.

Last edited:
good post killer...thank you!

My crystal ball prediction: Raytheon will become so desperate to unload Flight Options that it will sell it for pennies on the dollar. The only taker: Ken Ricci. He will meld it with the operation he is currrently
developing (Corporate Wings/Mercury FBOs with a fleet of VLJ's). It will happen sometime in 2006. He has already said he would consider re-acquiring FLOPS if the conditions were right (meaning that Raytheon reached the point of desperation).

Mark my words, you heard it hear first. KR and JS will return, a la Douglas McArthur!

Last edited:
I bet that the GIV, CL601 and F50 pilots at FLOPS are pretty annoyed with the likelihood of jumping back to the Legacy, X or the Hawker. People with type ratings in those aircraft probably could pick up great 91/135 jobs in similar or better aircraft at higher pay rates or land good 121 jobs with their experience. Not a big surprise that people are jumping ship...

Last edited:
semperfido said:
just curious-- how is this diff from any corp job?:)

Corporate guy get paid to take care of the same owner (singular) not multiple owners (plural). Fractional pilots might see three of more different owners per duty day and most are upset or disturbed about the quality of service, time issues, etc.

Corporate guys do not always fly three to five legs per day during the duty rotation. Corporate guys have some stability with regard to the aircraft schedule. That is not say that corporate guys have the best work schedule out there, but for the most part, when the gear comes up the pilot is sure of the destination and has a clear idea of when he will return to home plate.

If a corporate guy takes the boss to Vegas, it is a good bet you will stay in Vegas with acft waiting on the boss rather than rush to SeaTac for the next live leg.

I'll take the frax....

I have worked for 2 different corporations as a pilot, and both jobs ended in 6 months. The first job ended due to 9/11 one week later with a so sorry, we will pay you till the end of the month. The other I am now leaving due to a passive aggressive bi-polar chief pilot. While I claim to know nothing about the frax side of business, the company I am going to work for, their pilots that I have talked to are very up beat about the company and seem happy overall.

We all got into this business for one main purpose, to fly aircraft and have the best office view in the world. Having to be the "coffee B#$ch", IMO, is part of the job.

Will having long duty days and being away from the family be tough? I am sure it will. But again, IMO, frax is much more secure than a corporate job where you are told I need you now, but I may not need you in 3 or 6 months.

Lithieum (sp?) would probably be better.;)

Latest resources

Back