• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How is it living in Memphis

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Make sure your Beneficaries are up to date...

I was in MEM last year for a FedEx interview. Stayed in the Holiday Inn near the airport. Walked to Cat Fish Cabin & on the way back, 2 kids grabbed my bag of left overs. After it was all said and done, I'm glad I didn't get shot or stabbed.

The best thing about not getting hired at FedEx is not going to MEM on a regular basis. I don't care how much you get paid at FX, living or commuting out of there...You stand a good chance of getting violently assulted. Possibly ASSulted too. Have fun!

Memphis is kind of like the movie mad max beyond thunderdome. Its a burnt out wasteland of broken down crap and small arms fire.

It depends on where you live...and how stupid you are. Keep in mind, Memphis is the largest city in the state and holds about 1M people (last I heard). I was born & raised here and I know better than to hang out near the airport and various other parts of town (North Memphis, Raleigh, Frayser, Parkway Village, Hickory Hill, and any area referred to as Southeast Memphis). Our political issues have been more sad than funny lately but are always good for a laugh. It's a problem only if you take it too seriously and most natives don't. Living here safely requires a lot of common sense and a little bit of luck but what city doesn't? I know people who have left due to crime/politics/etc but only traded our problems for a new set of problems in their new city. Memphians are known for being bad drivers but the out-of-state drivers are the ones that get in my way the most. We do have spring/fall, contrary to what others say, but I guess it depends on what you call spring/fall weather. Summer highs average upper 80's, winter lows average low 40's, we get very little snow (but at which time we lose all ability to function which is fun for you if you're from the North). Spring/Fall temps fall in the middle somewhere. Regarding where to live... Suburbs: Collierville is very popular with pilots and ATC's. Cordova and Bartlett are great areas (I prefer Bartlett due to no city taxes and it will never be annexed by the city) with good schools and shopping but not as convenient to the airport. In-City: Central Gardens is in Midtown with good schools, convenient to many older churches and great if you like and appreciate diversity in your neighborhood and being within walking distance of restaurants and bars, theaters, and festivals; Downtown is wonderful if you like bars/restaurants, trolleys, concerts, sports, arts, farmers markets, quirky shops, the outdoors, etc. but more difficult if you have school-age children due to limited options for schools; East Memphis is a very large area and can be hit/miss but there are some great optional schools as well as many private schools to choose from as well as easier access to shopping & the interstate. If you want Mayberry, good luck finding it and be sure to let the rest of us know where it is.

Four broken down cars on one ramp?! Oh my! Run for your lives, everyone... I'm more concerned about having one of the highest sales taxes in the country. Thankfully, we still have no state income tax and gas prices, while still high, are less that what people pay in larger cities.

Four broken down cars on one ramp?! Oh my! Run for your lives, everyone... I'm more concerned about having one of the highest sales taxes in the country. Thankfully, we still have no state income tax and gas prices, while still high, are less that what people pay in larger cities.

lol easy there.... Im just busting the proverbial balls.

lol easy there.... Im just busting the proverbial balls.

I just hope my old Saturn isn't one of those broken down cars one day!! Seriously, I can understand why transplants would not find Memphis as comfortable as I do (it is my home, after all) but I do wish people would keep an open mind about it. The city isn't as great as it could be, but its not the worst I've seen or heard of either. I'll likely leave someday, once the Captain has a better opportunity elsewhere, but I don't have better expectations of any other city. Just hand me a beer and point me to the beach...

No regrets

I moved to Collierville last summer and have not had a single regret. Private schools, big house, easy lifestyle.... lots of time at home with wife and kids sitting reserve with FedEx.

I was in MEM last year for a FedEx interview. Stayed in the Holiday Inn near the airport. Walked to Cat Fish Cabin & on the way back, 2 kids grabbed my bag of left overs. After it was all said and done, I'm glad I didn't get shot or stabbed.

The best thing about not getting hired at FedEx is not going to MEM on a regular basis. I don't care how much you get paid at FX, living or commuting out of there...You stand a good chance of getting violently assulted. Possibly ASSulted too. Have fun!

I would imagine it would be the same as any other large run-down, s hit infested, crack-ridden, cess-pool laiden, politically-corrupt, morally bankrupt, d ouche-bag dwellin, yankee/red-neck city that most people in America call home too. Atlanta, Detroit, LA, Cleveland, Oakland, Houston, Portland, Denver, Boston, San Diego, Miami, Chicago, New York, St. Louis, Dallas, Washington, New Orleans, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Baltimore, Las Vegas, and the list goes on and on. Pick a city and I'm quite sure you have seen an episode of cops living la vida loca in it.

Latest resources

Back