• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How is it living in Memphis

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
check out the suburb of Arlington, it's being developed, is a great place to live if you have to live near Memphis, and only about 1/2 hour from airport.

Moved to Memphis when I started flying out of here 3 years ago. My familly and I moved from Southern California so it was a bit of a transition at first. However, we really love it now! Great outdoors activities, there's Beal street for night life, very little traffic, compared to LA atleast, low housing costs, felt like they were just giving them away. Also, weather is not too severe, a bit hot in the summer and a month or so of mid 30 weather in the winter, but pretty moderat, I think. I would definatly give it a chance, you might like it. On the down side, public schools arn't too great and you'll have to pay city and county property taxes. I don't think there too outrages though.
Good luck

1. You have to get wanded for weapons before going onto Beale Street at night.

2. There may not be as much traffic, but nobody knows how to drive and most probably don't have insurance.

3. If you send your kid to public school, you have the risk of being carjacked when you wait in line to pick the kid up.

4. It is cheap to buy a house, because nobody wants to live in Memphis. Someone in Germantown was mugged in the front yard of their $400,000 house while doing yardwork.

Don't do it!

Everyone wants to tell you they fly the best airplane, make the most money, and have the best quality of life. The guys that decide that they want to commute, good for them. When I commuted, I had to make myself believe that I was doing it for a good reason. Memphis had to suck, or I would be giving up months away from my wife and kids for no reason. I got over that, and now I live in MEM and work in MEM. It's not the best place on earth, but I work and live in the same city. I spend less than 4 nights a month in a hotel and the other days I'm at home with my family. If you do your homework and move into a good area, you will be very happy....I can hear it now..."there is no good area around there..." whatever....I'm home all of the time....If that's not your thing...go spend six months a year away from your family and try to tell yourself it's for their own good.

When launching to the south I use to include in my T/O brief that if we don't get at least 10 miles from the departure end of the rwy, we should hope that we don't survive the impact. If you do the local inhabitants will take you out.

LaGarbage.... your post reminded me of blackhawk down. :)

Well I did not do any time in that particular sandbox. If you are taking ground fire coming into MEM I suppose you could request the overhead and crank it in tight to stay in the airport boundary. A little uncomfortabe for the pax, but it beats the alternative.

You could give me a house there, and tuition at a private school for all my kids and I still wouldn't live there. I've never seen so many drifting, shiftless zombie-like people roaming around all day, every day with nothing better to do than walk in the middle of the street like it's a sidewalk. Armpit.

Latest resources

Back