• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How is it living in Memphis

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The difference with memphis is you can't do this in any section of the city.

Can't do what? What in the h*ll are you talking about? I wouldn't recommend any of those things in any city or in any part of Memphis. It takes common sense to live safely outside of Mayberry. There are plenty of other safer cities to live in but the guy who started this thread didn't ask about them. I get tired of hearing transplants & natives who just gripe, mope & complain about the crime...and yet do nothing to get involved in the community.

If you don't want to be here, go away. If you came here for your career, be thankful you have a job. We have enough problems with judgemental, ignorant fools without more moving in. Seriously, if someone moves here and hates it, they are free to leave by boat, auto or plane...they can actually jog into MS from the airport area. Fred Smith is a Memphis resident and that is good enough for me...

Great good for you. But i can walk down some of the meanest streets of boston and not feel that "on edge" that i do around memphis. This is not an around maybery feeling but a feeling that I get walking down the streets of a major city like boston you are allways keeping an eye out. Its what you learn to do living in a major city. Yet Memphis residents don't seem to understand the value of life, property, or keeping a city clean.

I don't work for fred... i've looked at living in mem and ran as far away as I could. Glad you like it there, but if you don't know any better, can we really trust your opinion?

I believe this thread is average-white-guy code for "There's a whole lotta black folk living there."

There's a whole lotta them in Atlanta, Charleston, Savannah, Birmingham, Mobile, Pensacola and Chatanooga too. It may be racism for a few people, but for alot of us Memphis is just in a different league.

I don't work for fred... i've looked at living in mem and ran as far away as I could. Glad you like it there, but if you don't know any better, can we really trust your opinion?

See below...THIS is what I wrote in an earlier post. Read it here, re-read it from the original post, consider some of your responses and, if you can, explain why your posts keep insinuating that I said something else...

"I know better than to walk down dark alleys at night, to hang out in known questionable areas of the city and to leave a laptop sitting in the front seat of the car."

See, I KNOW BETTER...

I know you know better. Good for you. But the average resident doesn't need to constantly think about that while trying to raise his family in a city that doesn't know anybetter.

So that leaves you what one square block to hang out in?

Diesel, if you don't live here why do you care? Why are you so concerned about this? You checked Memphis out, you didn't like it and you don't live here. I'm sure Boston is a grand place to live but I don't know because I don't live there...which is why I have nothing to say about it, positive or negative. The guy that started this asked about Memphis...as a native Memphian I'm qualified to respond. You...not so much. See, I try to stick with what I know.

By the way, is your avatar wearing the Swedish flag? Sure looks like it.

Dude, I just might whip your ass for Catfish Cabin leftovers. Their fillets are pretty darn good. If I was coming off a trip and they had just closed and you were shuff shuff shuffling back to the hotel....and I got a whiff...no telling WHAT I might do...

I commute. It works for me. I don't get to sit reserve at home, which I think I would be EXCELLENT at doing. However--getting paid to chase the wife around the house doesn't appear to be in my future. I have, however, bid B reserve just to fart around N. Mississippi and Memphis a few months. I have done Memphis in May, and I am a BBQ fan. Head on a swivel--watch your back--drive defensively, and know a few areas to go (and not go) and its workable. You can usually find me at Wilson Air Center (best FBO in country), Tunica (Bally's, the Grand, and the Shoe have been good to me...), or a Poplar or G-town food joint.

It ain't perfect. It ain't hell either. But you DO have to be alert.

And as Huck pointed out--this isnt' just black/white stuff. This is MEAN kill each other black stuff. Memphis is in a league of its own when it comes to crime. The victims are more often black than white. Just an observation, but I think a lot of what is percieved in the area as "racism" is just "fear of crime." If we could ever work together on the latter, I think most of the former would go away. But--I'm a airplane driver and not a sociologist, so you can tell me I'm an idiot in that area without hurting my feelings.

However--on those catfish fillets--I know I'm right.

If you don't want to be here, go away. If you came here for your career, be thankful you have a job. We have enough problems with judgemental, ignorant fools without more moving in. Seriously, if someone moves here and hates it, they are free to leave by boat, auto or plane...they can actually jog into MS from the airport area. Fred Smith is a Memphis resident and that is good enough for me...

WTF????? I hope your not serious about your deciding factor was if Fred lives here i will too.....

As for Memphis .....cant sugar coat a turd....plain and simple!!!!!!

Im optomistic but Im not blind......

How about giving this guy some feedback on something other than downtown Memphis. I'm the first to admit that downtown Memphis isn't great...ok....it sucks. (Except for the Redbirds ballpark and a few bars..but you have to be extremely careful) Germantown and Collierville are very nice, safe areas. I've lived out here for 4 years and it's great. When I commuted, I never took the time to go out to where all of the local pilots live....it's a different world. Most commuters never go out that far, so they don't really know the deal.

WTF????? I hope your not serious about your deciding factor was if Fred lives here i will too.....

As for Memphis .....cant sugar coat a turd....plain and simple!!!!!!

Im optomistic but Im not blind......

Dude, perhaps you missed the my previous posts...I didn't decide to live in Memphis, I was born & raised here.

Latest resources

Back