Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How intelligent/smart must you be to be a pilot??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

apcooper

Dude, where's my country?
At first glance I'm sure that seems like a silly and dopey question. However, my brother and I were arguing about this yesterday. He states that you must have a high IQ and be smart to be a pilot. I couldn't stop laughing! I told him a plane can be flown by an individual with avg intelligence who is properly trained. He still believes though that you have a high level on inate intelligence. Can you all set him straight?! Maybe I'm wrong and he's right!! Yea, and I'm of Royal descent too!! When replying, spell it out for HIM in a language he'll understand. Please no flame either, just tell him how he's simply incorrect!!

Just tell him to look at some of the posts on this site. That should give him an idea of how little intelligence it takes to be a pilot.

imacdog said:
Just tell him to look at some of the posts on this site. That should give him an idea of how little intelligence it takes to be a pilot.

LOL! That's a good one!! If that won't convince him I don't know what will!!

I don't think that flying requires an abnormally high level of intelligence, however, I do think that flying requires a specific kind of intelligence, i.e. the ability to absorb moderately technical information combined with above average (or highly refined) psychomotor skills. Separately those two traits aren't all that rare, but sometimes they are difficult to find in the same individual.

In other words, we think it's easy because we practice it every day and/or have natural aptitudes which allow us to be good at it. For others it may not be so simple. Yes, anyone can be a pilot--anyone with the same talents and abilities as us, that is. There is no way for us to know exactly how difficult the skill of flying might be to aquire for someone else.

-Goose

Last edited:
Goose Egg said:
I don't think that flying requires an abnormally high level of intelligence, however, I do think that flying requires a specific kind of intelligence, i.e. the ability to absorb moderately technical information combined with above average (or highly refined) psychomotor skills. Separately those two traits aren't all that rare, but sometimes they are difficult to find in the same individual.

In other words, we think it's easy because we practice it every day and/or have natural aptitudes which allow us to be good at it. For others it may not be so simple. Yes, anyone can be a pilot--anyone with the same talents and abilities as us, that is. There is no way for us to know exactly how difficult the skill of flying might be to aquire for someone else.

-Goose

I disagree. Grab anyone at random off the street and chances are you can teach them to be a pilot. It's really not very hard to be a pilot, we just like to tell ourselves that it is to make us feel better.

Ralgha said:
I disagree. Grab anyone at random off the street and chances are you can teach them to be a pilot. It's really not very hard to be a pilot, we just like to tell ourselves that it is to make us feel better.

It depends on what kind of aircraft and what you'll be doing in that aircraft.

To be a pilot is not difficult and even someone with even below average intelligance can be one. There was a guy in my UPT class the was dumb as a sack of hammers. Seriously, this guy was out to lunch.

However, to be a safe, competant pilot, without a doubt, you need to be very intelligent.

Ralgha said:

For the sake of clarity, let me say that my previous example of the difficulty of flying applied to those who wished to make a career as a pilot. Anyone can aquire sufficient muscle memory and rote knowledge to do smash-'n'-go's at the local uncontrolled field. IFR, decision making, and qualifiying for type ratings are another matter entirely... or so I hear. =)

-Goose

Last edited:
All the pilots I know are pretty sharp, but I think some of the folks who are smart but aren't good pilots are "intellectualizing" it. I agree with the others who have said that it's more a question of psychomotor and mechanical aptitude-- and just learning to feel the airplane and fly by the seat of your pants.

Flying aptitude is also a matter of personality. For example, those familiar with Meyers-Briggs might know that ISTPs tend to show up in cockpits with a higher frequency than other personality types. "The Killing Zone" by Paul Craig contains an interesting chapter towards the end on pilot personality that's an interesting read. His premise is basically that most pilots are smart, messy, spontaneous, independent, prideful, macho, and otherwise generally obnoxious jerks.

Check.

I dont know....some people really just dont get the concept of multi-tasking and can't fly the airplane while doing other minor tasks like looking at a chart, tuning a frequency etc....
I suppose with enough practice anyone could fly but in typical timeframes....there are those who can and those who cant.

The one about the airplane on a treadmill should suffice.

Latest resources

Back