Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How intelligent/smart must you be to be a pilot??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's my theory

I've been a CFI and a captain and ground school instructor, blah, blah, blah...

I've only met two people so far who have absolutely no business whatsoever in the cockpit of an airplane.

One, a student of mine (with a very rich father) who shelled out almost $10,000 and never got anywhere near close to first solo.

The other, an older gentleman, who claimed to have flown MiGs in the Soviet Air Force...who I assume was lying about his background the whole time.

The rest of us, with more or less work can succeed at being a pilot, but my personal theory is that the pilot with *average* intelligence makes the best pilot.

The dumb pilots are clueless because they don't pay attention and have no situational awareness.

The brilliant pilots are clueless because they over analyze every detail...and have no situational awareness.

The average pilot just seems to be dialed in and rolls with the punches, keeps the Big Picture in sight and never spills his coffee or loses his sense of humor.

That's the great pilot in my book.

Last edited:
I think that makes a lot of sense Mar...

Ther are ceratin occupations, especially city jobs, that require tests. Scoring too high or too low usually excludes you from being considered for the position.

A lot of jobs require a happy middle in order to be challenged enough and not bored.

There's actually a concept from I/O psychology that states employees will be promoted to their level of incompetency. This basically means that people will meet their ceiling of ability where they aren't bored and can still be interested in their work since it still holds a sense of challenge.

Applied to flying, some may top off at the CFI level, maybe make it toa freight operation, FO at a regional or Capt, and be unable to move beyond that. Some make it as a FO at a major but are unable to ever make captain.

Last edited:
One of the worst students I saw was actually a Neurosurgeon, but had trouble getting past the Private Pilot written. No kidding! (I think he couldn't concentrate or put the time required into the process) His solo cross countries usually turned into a debacle. His instructor earned quite a few premature gray hairs.

NYCPilot said:
I think that makes a lot of sense Mar...

Ther are ceratin occupations, especially city jobs, that require tests. Scoring too high or too low usually excludes you from being considered for the position.
true, I recall seing a bit on some news magazine program in which a guy was suing a city because his application to be a police officer was denied because he scored too high on an intelligence test. As I recall he had one or several advanced degrees in some unrelated field.

NYCPilot said:
Applied to flying, some may top off at the CFI level, maybe make it to a freight operation, FO at a regional or Capt, and be unable to move beyond that. Some make it as a FO at a major but are unable to ever make captain.

Well, that statement inherently accepts the premise that flying for a major is more demanding of skills than flying freight, and that major airline pilots are unitversally more competent than freight pilots, a conceit which I don't accept. Surely you must not be familliar with the process by which one arrives at the majors (and I don't mean just the interview) if you beleive this is true.

Go back and read some of the "Stupid Pilot" type threads on this website. Just how smart can some of us be? :D

Flying an airplane (any airplane) safely doesn't require any thing more than normal intelligence. It requires good judgement - a trait not connected with one's IQ.

'Sled

Never mind, I thought the thread was titled, "How intelligent/smart must you be to be a helicopter pilot?"

A Squared said:
Well, that statement inherently accepts the premise that flying for a major is more demanding of skills than flying freight, and that major airline pilots are unitversally more competent than freight pilots, a conceit which I don't accept. Surely you must not be familliar with the process by which one arrives at the majors (and I don't mean just the interview) if you beleive this is true.

I do mean to postulate that there is more involved in flying a large turbine aircraft than a light twin flying night freight. Many of these pilots eventually do move on to the left seat of an international carrier. But many do not. The abilities required to conduct this more advanced operation require a lot more memorization, training and functioning on a whole than does flight instructing or even light twin charter. You need to be much more adroit at what you're doing.

As on moves up the chain, the skill level invariably increases. The hurdles one must go through becomes harder, the hiring criteria and testing becomes more difficult as well. The inital skills and abilities you possess that get you a job flying smaller, entry-level operations will not get you hired at a major airline. If the experience you gain becomes inculcated into you, then you will advance eventually after obtaining any minimums hours required.

My point using that example was that the criteria and level of knowledge and ability to perform at these higher level positions require more of the applicant. Thus, those who are more competitive end up in these positions.

Many FO's fail to upgrade to captain and eventually sign a waiver that they'll never bid for the positon again with the company.

Undoubtedly, some pilots can't make the jump from one level of flying to the next. This is due to a so called level of incompetency. It doesnt mean your inept, it just means that you have topped out in your abilities to perform a job requiring a little more of everything. This can range from personal skills to being able to cope with larger systems found on the "heavys" and many more protocols that must be followed. Each human psyche is designed differently and so we can not all make it into the left seat of a 747. Period.
To become a CFI and instruct is one thing, and takes a lot of work, but to say EVERY CFI has equal chances of making it as a 747 captain is untrue.

One rises to through the ranks until they can not handle or perform at the next level to the degree required.

FN FAL said:
Never mind, I thought the thread was titled, "How intelligent/smart must you be to be a helicopter pilot?"
That reminds me...

What is the difference between airplane pilots and helicopter pilots? Airplane pilots break ground and fly into the wind. Helicopter pilots break wind and fly into the ground. :p

'Sled

NYCPilot said:
I do mean to postulate that there is more involved in flying a large turbine aircraft than a light twin flying night freight...The abilities required to conduct this more advanced operation require a lot more memorization, training and functioning on a whole than does flight instructing or even light twin charter. You need to be much more adroit at what you're doing...As on moves up the chain, the skill level invariably increases...One rises to through the ranks until they can not handle or perform at the next level to the degree required.
Sorry NYCPilot, I don't agree with any of that. The most difficult and challenging flying any civilian pilot will do is fly freight/charter in a light twin. Once you are able to start the progression up the ladder it only gets easier. One of aviations best kept secrets is the bigger the airplane the easier it is to fly.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
Sorry NYCPilot, I don't agree with any of that. The most difficult and challenging flying any civilian pilot will do is fly freight/charter in a light twin. Once you are able to start the progression up the ladder it only gets easier. One of aviations best kept secrets is the bigger the airplane the easier it is to fly.

'Sled

I agree that this is true. Freight is challenging and things do get easier in terms of operations as you ascend up the latter. BUT, not every pilot is QUALIFIED to be in that higher position. That is my point. They reach a point where they can't competently perform the duties of a pilot at a major airline.

Many CFI's may barely teach and fly that plane, let alone advance to a freight position, for instance.

There are pilots who washout in training a few times and end up leaving the profession.

Many FO's don't have what it takes to become captain and fail their upgrades.

To think that if you can attain a private pilot license equates to being capable of eventually flying a 747 is false.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back