Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How intelligent/smart must you be to be a pilot??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DC8 Flyer said:
NYC:

Not trying to hop on the band wagon "against" you here. Just to put things in perspective flying large "heavy" or "widebody" airplanes ...

Let's put it in further perspective. The minimum requirement for a right seater in a 747 are the certificates necessary to fly as Second In Command.

Any other magical requirements are stipulated by the corporate culture of the airline doing the hiring and how much they want YOU to pass their initial training.

FN FAL said:
Let's put it in further perspective. The minimum requirement for a right seater in a 747 are the certificates necessary to fly as Second In Command.

Any other magical requirements are stipulated by the corporate culture of the airline doing the hiring and how much they want YOU to pass their initial training.

So I guess that is a Private Pilot Cert with a ME rating? If Bill Gates has 150 hrs, a PPL and a 747 type and Warren Buffet has a PPL and a simple ME rating then they can buy a 74 and split the expenses and the SIC wouldn't even need an IR if they are going VFR! Do I have this right?

PAPA FOX! said:
So I guess that is a Private Pilot Cert with a ME rating? If Bill Gates has 150 hrs, a PPL and a 747 type and Warren Buffet has a PPL and a simple ME rating then they can buy a 74 and split the expenses and the SIC wouldn't even need an IR if they are going VFR! Do I have this right?
That's about right. I've seen a couple private pilot certificates with VFR only Lear type ratings. Hard to imagine isn't it. I used to work with a guy who had a DC-3 type that was limited to VFR. I guess all it would take would be the $$$.

'Sled

FN FAL said:

True, with a caveat... the Captains with some experience will tell you that an FO with the absolute minimums to legally occupy the right seat are in fact ann utter detriment to the flight, and present more danger overall than if the Captain was solo.

This is where the corporation steps in, and basically says "we need 2500 PIC turbine, because guys with this experience level will actually contribute to the trip, rather than suck the life force from a good Captain and render the flight dangerous." :D

Gorilla said:
True, with a caveat... the Captains with some experience will tell you that an FO with the absolute minimums to legally occupy the right seat are in fact ann utter detriment to the flight, and present more danger overall than if the Captain was solo.

This is where the corporation steps in, and basically says "we need 2500 PIC turbine, because guys with this experience level will actually contribute to the trip, rather than suck the life force from a good Captain and render the flight dangerous." :D
yea, I have heard those stories before and I believe they are true because I have had such people sitting next to me in Navajos and 414's. However, you're not going to tell me that if the FO of a 747 keels over dead, that it is mandatory for the captain to crash the plane.

Hey,
Anything above mildly retarded is a waste of brain cells.
PBR

Maybe both

I don't think you have to be the smartest guy to be a pilot, certainly not to manipulate the controls. But you should be able to anticipate and stay ahead of the aircraft and you have to possess the tools to make good decisions. Some of that comes from experience for sure. Some of it is dictated by mandatory checklists that are designed to take out the dumb sh#t factor.

There are plenty of guys out there who can manipulate the controls well enough but can't make a good decision to save their lives. And thats where the problem lies. Like its rare that you can't teach a person to actually fly the plane fairly well under most conditions its similarly rare to get a guy who can fly and manage a cockpit well under adverse conditions plus balance that with the right amount of people skills. It's a juggling act and it does help if you have intelligence to handle it well. The best guys I've flown with were pretty smart guys inately.

what about personality trails

What type of personality wants to be a pilot and what traits do you need
in order to be a good pilot. I think it's a combination of skills, smarts and common sense that make a good pilot. of course, i'm speaking not from experience but from an assumption.

You need to be left-handed and/or first born and/or afraid of heights. ;)

Other than that, it's something that almost any reasonably intelligent, reasonably coordinated person with a normal amount of common sense and good judgement can be taught to do very well. Oh, I forgot... Most pilots have a bit of an ego as well.

'Sled

Guys and ladies, remember children fly airplanes. yes even at 7 and 8 eight year olds, look it up on the website! Anyone can fly a plane, multitask is for more comlicated jets, just remember children can fly planes!

Latest resources

Back