Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How intelligent/smart must you be to be a pilot??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ah, c'mon. Let's not split hairs!

ePilot22 said:
Black or white would be nice. Attiutde, knowledge (regs., systems etc.), ability, interest, judgment and much more is needed to be a good pilot.

If it were just attitude, then we could select all the good pilots by their attitude and reject all the bad ones.

Just a thought though.

eP.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...Everything ELSE being equal...attitude makes the difference.

Lead Sled said:
You're making a big assumption here. Are you saying that guys only make a career out of flying "little" planes (bizjets for example) because they're not good enough or have the ability to fly the big ones (airliners)?

'Sled
Isn't it funny how the lowest flight time people know all about what the deal is at the majors and who is this and who is that.

We have a recently retired EMB regional jet pilot on IOE this week and single pilot flying in the Caravan is kicking his ass. I'm sure he'll do O.K. but he's definitely missing the easy life back at 121.

In another case, one of our pilots ran off to Spirit and eventually became a captain. He left for Midwest Express and then got furloughed twice. He then went back to spirit and became an FO. After he gets furloughed again, he goes home and sells insurance or cars. Eventually, he gets on with the national airline SWA after buying his 737 type rating on the WIA funds. Now he is not happy and can't stand it over at SWA and wants to go back to selling cars or insurance. You'd think that anyone "smart" enough to fly large turbine aircraft would know whether they "liked it" or not.

Lead Sled said:
You're making a big assumption here. Are you saying that guys only make a career out of flying "little" planes (bizjets for example) because they're not good enough or have the ability to fly the big ones (airliners)?

'Sled

Of course thats not what I'm saying. You're putting words in my mouth. Where do I specifically state this? Little planes? I never said anything about that. But your wording does sound good for your arguement.

Flying a biz jet can be every bit as demanding as flying a 767 overseas. I'm aware of the higher experience requirements for these types of operations. Many times it takes more to get hired there then at a lot of regionals.

My example was someone flying a light twin and a heavy jet. The skills and competency you posses at the time you get this job flyign checks is not the same when you walk into an inteview at Delta. Granted, you build upon your skills and airmanship at these various intermediate stations as you progress through your career.

NYCPilot,

Since you have advanced the 747 as the pinnacle of aviation acheivement, I'll say that I know quite a few pilots who have made the transition from flying freight in a DC-6 to flying a 747, in both seats. The overwhelming majority opinion is that once you get past the challenges of operating in an unfamiliar airplane and environment, the flying is much easier.

FN FAL said:
Isn't it funny how the lowest flight time people know all about what the deal is at the majors and who is this and who is that.

We have a recently retired EMB regional jet pilot on IOE this week and single pilot flying in the Caravan is kicking his ass. I'm sure he'll do O.K. but he's definitely missing the easy life back at 121.

In another case, one of our pilots ran off to Spirit and eventually became a captain. He left for Midwest Express and then got furloughed twice. He then went back to spirit and became an FO. After he gets furloughed again, he goes home and sells insurance or cars. Eventually, he gets on with the national airline SWA after buying his 737 type rating on the WIA funds. Now he is not happy and can't stand it over at SWA and wants to go back to selling cars or insurance. You'd think that anyone "smart" enough to fly large turbine aircraft would know whether they "liked it" or not.[/quote]

Well said. I'm a corporate pilot by choice and I love my job. I used to fly for a major airline, but once the novelty of flying a "big" airplane wore off I was bored out of my mind. It took the "fun" out of flying. (After all, how tough is airline flying really? Takeoff, fly a SID or take vectors for the departure, fly to "where ever", then a STAR and/or vectors to an ILS and land - then repeat ad nausium.)

I prefer the variety and "hands on" aspect of corporate flying. Could I have had a career in the majors - I have no doubt, it just that I chose not to and I have never regretted making that choice.

'Sled

FN FAL said:

Is it really becasue I'm a low timer that I formulate these ideas? The amount of time has little to do with the idea of promotion within any occupation.

The concept of being promoted based upon competency is not new. One does not advance to the next level without being qualified. I dont understand why this is being disputed.

If you dont possess the abilities or qualifications you dont advance or progress. Some people stop progressing and remain stationary.

Some acquire the skills and abilities and move on. Other don't. Competency can be viewed as building upon knoweldge and skill.

If you havent acquired them, you arent competent and you dont move up. Period.

For instance, who isthe ideal candidate for a major airline position. Someone who has proven to possess some measurable level of competency. This might be prior 121 exp., a specific amount of PIC turbine exp., etc. These all translate into being competent. If you've acquired them and hung around long enough, you demomonstrate the ability to perfrom under these situations and conditions.

Last edited:
Sorry for belaboring the point...

But lets say a commerical pilot who has very little multi time is probably not competent to fly a large turbine twin.
Once he's acquired a fair amount in smaller twins, he's made himself eligable or competent to begin flying a bigger twin.

Competency can be acquired.

NYC:

Not trying to hop on the band wagon "against" you here. Just to put things in perspective flying large "heavy" or "widebody" airplanes overseas or even flying them period is no big deal and requires no great skill. There are a few procedures to learn when flying the NATs or phraseology when in ICAO only airspace, but nothing a few hours with a north atlantic orientation chart and a quick conversation with someone who has done can't overcome. I "earned" my DC8 type and was flying international with only 2200 hours and the DC8 was my first jet. It aint no thang.

Size, powerplant, area of operation, etc make no difference in flying. Flying is flying, pull up the houses get smaller, push down they get bigger, keep pulling up and they will eventually get really big...

Attitude is everything, anyone can fly any kind of airplane in any kind of enviroment given the proper training and supervision while still "green" and that all falls under attitude. It works both ways, the pilot has to have a can do attitude as well as the employer.

Just sumpin to chew on...

NYCPilot said:
Is it really becasue I'm a low timer that I formulate these ideas? The amount of time has little to do with the idea of promotion within any occupation.

The concept of being promoted based upon competency is not new. One does not advance to the next level without being qualified. I dont understand why this is being disputed.

If you dont possess the abilities or qualifications you dont advance or progress. Some people stop progressing and remain stationary.

Some acquire the skills and abilities and move on. Other don't. Competency can be viewed as building upon knoweldge and skill.

If you havent acquired them, you arent competent and you dont move up. Period.

For instance, who is the ideal candidate for a major airline position. Someone who has proven to possess some measurable level of competency. This might be prior 121 exp., a specific amount of PIC turbine exp., etc. These all translate into being competent. If you've acquired them and hung around long enough, you demomonstrate the ability to perfrom under these situations and conditions.
I agree that the Peter Principle (You rise to the level of your incompetence.) is alive and well in most areas of business. I don't think that it is controlling in aviation and other professions. Do all doctors become heart or brain surgeons? Why not? Not all MDs want to be surgeons, not all pilots want to fly airliners. (There's a lot of airline pilots out there that are wishing they went corporate.) One of the best pilots I ever met made a choice to be a career CFI. Would he not have been good enough to fly 121? He could have done well at it, but he chose not to.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back