How honest is everybody?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LITCHAT7

I was just wondering how forthright everybody is in an interview regarding any potential damaging history. I had a couple speeding tickets and my license suspended (was young, broke and couldn't pay for the tickets!). This was 20 years ago and I've never even considered fessing up if asked. Of course I've only interviewed at regionals thus far and have never been asked the question. Yet that may be changing. I know a guy that had a DUI about 15 years ago and he never admits to that. Seems like the Golden rule (per the so-called professionals) is always BE HONEST! Yet is this really true in the real world. I'd think fessing up to something that happened so long ago that SHOULDN'T be on any record (I'm in the process of getting current records) could possibly screw me out of a job. Especially when there is so much stellar competition out there..........unless most of them aren't being honest! What is everybodys "HONEST" opinion/method of handling questions of this sort?! Thanks in advance.

I was just wondering how forthright everybody is in an interview regarding any potential damaging history. I had a couple speeding tickets and my license suspended (was young, broke and couldn't pay for the tickets!). This was 20 years ago and I've never even considered fessing up if asked. Of course I've only interviewed at regionals thus far and have never been asked the question. Yet that may be changing. I know a guy that had a DUI about 15 years ago and he never admits to that. Seems like the Golden rule (per the so-called professionals) is always BE HONEST! Yet is this really true in the real world. I'd think fessing up to something that happened so long ago that SHOULDN'T be on any record (I'm in the process of getting current records) could possibly screw me out of a job. Especially when there is so much stellar competition out there..........unless most of them aren't being honest! What is everybodys "HONEST" opinion/method of handling questions of this sort?! Thanks in advance.

If you are older and don't "fess" up to anything, either you have lived in a cave all your life, or are lying your ass off. Either way, I wouldn't hire you.

So I would "fess" up, you will sleep better at night.

AK

LITCHAT7,

I have to agree with Angel King; honesty is the best policy, and nobody lends credibility to someone who has never made a mistake. Be honest. Mistakes aren't necessarily things that paint you in a bad light. We don't live in a static state; we move on, we learn, we grow from our mistakes. What is in your past can be negative or positive, it's all in how you choose to see it, and others will see it through your eyes and your explaination of the events (how else would they know about it?)...take the best from what you've got and use it to show you're a good candidate.

Last edited:
Its a small business, if you get caught in a lie you might not ever work in it again. But don't volunteer information that is not asked either.

Any traffic infraction will be on your record. I've pulled over guys and had their traffic "rap sheet" given to me by dispatch and have seen speeding citations from 1977. Yep..it doesn't go away. Indeed, the best bet is to be honest. Explain how you messed up and what you learned from it. As for DUIs, I've seen people refused entry into Canada for DUIs that happened decades ago due to the fact that a Dewey is an indictable offense in Canada. That might be an issue for guys having to fly across the border.

As for DUIs, I've seen people refused entry into Canada for DUIs that happened decades ago due to the fact that a Dewey is an indictable offense in Canada. That might be an issue for guys having to fly across the border.

Imagine having to tell the boss you're unable to enter canada because of your DUI after telling him in the interview you never had one. Honesty is the best policy and if you can paint it in a positive light showing how you learned and grew from the experience, you'll be fine.

What's the legality/ etiquette if a record was officially expuneged for a minor offense yrs ago? Does a background check even show anything?

Latest resources

Back