• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

How "gear down and locked" can ruin your day...

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Total Time
7,000+
maybe that should be on the "David Letterman Show" segment, "will it float?"

Way2Broke

Total Time
Dude, when he is sitting on the float paddling it in I laughed so hard. Why is it that other people's misfortune is so funny?

Will it float? Not for long!

MFRskyknight

Don't F with Chuck
Total Time
low
Geronimo4497 said:
So much for 'Where am I landing, and where are my wheels'
This is kind of a stupid question, but..... having the wheels sticking down from the floats is what caused him to somersault? That would make sense, but I wanna be sure. Seaplane people?MFR

blingair

I'm your boy Carl
Total Time
none
Do floats come with gear indicators? Anyone? Buehler, Buehler

Spooky 1

Total Time
Some
blingair said:
Do floats come with gear indicators? Anyone? Buehler, Buehler

We have a system on our Twin Otter that says "wheels up, for water landing" or "wheels down for runway landing". Not fool proof but certainly helps. I cannot tell you how many times I wanted to say, gear down when I first started to fly on the water. Some habits are very hard to break. Ughly! And yes, we do have gear light indicators.

sbn340mech

Total Time
324 hr
Yes they can and will flip when water landing with the gear down. My grandfather is living proof of that as he did it some 15 years ago in a 180H

He wasn't hurt and the plane only sustained minor damage. He did have visual indicators out on the floats but they were hard to see. Soon after they were painted BRIGHT red!!

A Squared

Total Time
dseagrav said:
Submerging the airplane is an instant total loss, right?

No. Many planes have been pulled out of fresh water and repaired. depends on how long it's been in.

dseagrav

Student Dork
Total Time
threve
A Squared said:
No. Many planes have been pulled out of fresh water and repaired. depends on how long it's been in.

Oh, OK. Either way, it can't have been cheap.

A Squared

Total Time
dseagrav said:
Oh, OK. Either way, it can't have been cheap.
No, and the one in the video went over fairly hard. there may have been significant damage from the collision with the water ... so that particular one might have been totalled out. I don't know. It happened up in Fairbanks at a airport called Chena Marina.

avbug

Total Time
n/a
I always repeat the amphib mantra when landing:

"This is a land landing, gear down."

"This is a water landing, gear up."

Good thing he wasn't in a Catalina.

Diesel

TEB Hilton resident
Total Time
The company I worked at had our seaplane flip. Probably a good thing it gave it a good wash. The biggest way to damage it is flipping it back over.

TrafficInSight

mmmm.... doooonuuuut.
Total Time
man it hurt to watch that.

avbug

Total Time
n/a
You'll notice that the underfloat wheels were what precipated the pitching motion, acting as a pivot of sorts over which the inertia of the aircraft toppled as the drag increased on the wheels. You can drop the gear in the water during water taxi, while "plowing," and taxi onto dry land. At those speeds with all the mass of the aircraft on top of the mains, the effect is somewhat like a dynamic rollover in a helicopter, amplified by an order of magnitude or two.

Tram

RaarR! SLM will getcha!!
Total Time
1653Z
Here's a question for you float flyers...

How do you do a runup?