Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HMR

I Live by the River.
I was just reading the "day in the life" article in the new issue of AIN. I almost spit out my gum when I read the part about this guy. Background: He shows up at Clay Lacy in VNY for a 9am flight in his Lear25 only to find out it's been rescheduled to 6pm.

"With more than 8 hours until the next flight, (name removed) might be expected to return home, except that home is in Prescott, Ariz. A 1990 graduate of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University there, he worked as a flight instructor until five months ago, when Clay Lacy hired him to fly the Learjet right seat. Now he thinks in Mach numbers and flight levels rather than in knots and feet.
(Name removed) drives the 12-hour round-trip commute from Prescott to Van Nuys about three times a month."

WOW!
How much does Lacy pay to fly right seat in a Lear 25? (Not much)
Have you ever poked your head into one of Lacy's Lear 25's? (Not good)
Is the job market really this bad?

This should make the cover of Pro Pilot soon.

HMR said:
I was just reading the "day in the life" article in the new issue of AIN. I almost spit out my gum when I read the part about this guy. Background: He shows up at Clay Lacy in VNY for a 9am flight in his Lear25 only to find out it's been rescheduled to 6pm.

"With more than 8 hours until the next flight, (name removed) might be expected to return home, except that home is in Prescott, Ariz. A 1990 graduate of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University there, he worked as a flight instructor until five months ago, when Clay Lacy hired him to fly the Learjet right seat. Now he thinks in Mach numbers and flight levels rather than in knots and feet.
(Name removed) drives the 12-hour round-trip commute from Prescott to Van Nuys about three times a month."

WOW!
How much does Lacy pay to fly right seat in a Lear 25? (Not much)
Have you ever poked your head into one of Lacy's Lear 25's? (Not good)
Is the job market really this bad?

This should make the cover of Pro Pilot soon.

Isn't 9 just 6 upside down?

Details, details.

Ace

HMR said:
A 1990 graduate of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University there, he worked as a flight instructor until five months ago, when Clay Lacy hired him to fly the Learjet right seat. Now he thinks in Mach numbers and flight levels rather than in knots and feet.
Geez... I graduated with this guy... WTF has he been doing for the past 15 years??? I looked up his name in the AIN article, I don't think I know him...

If he only does it three times per month, I'm curious as to why he just doesn't fly WN from PHX to BUR. No matter how long that takes him, it has *got* to be better than driving.

the answer for me is 3100 hours TT. since i received my commercial cert. i was trying to get into a jet. along the way, i flew cabin class twins in the midwest, and rockies, turbo props in the california sierra's and finally got my jet job when i had 3100TT with 2200 multi with all that multi pic.
PS. as you might have surmised, i did not PFT.

Well, all I can say is, Prescott beats living around Van Nuys on what he's being paid any day. I'm sure he has his reasons and not wanting to move the family is probably one of them. Either way, it is his choice and I have known several pilots in this industry over the years to make the same decision.

Last edited:
CorpLearDriver said:
Well, all I can say is, Prescott beats living around Van Nuys on what he's being paid any day. I'm sure he has his reasons and not wanting to move the family is probably one of them. Either way, it is his choice and I have known several pilots in this industry over the years to make the same decision.
I agree Prescott was a great place to live (well I loved it anyhow, the way it was 15-20 years ago)... I just can't imagine working as a CFI at Riddle for 15 years after graduation... Hey, to each their own... But in the eyes of future employers, they gotta wonder why he didn't try to advance himself...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back