• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How does it work...?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I doubt many, if any, 121 pilots reposition to other airports. And if they did, it would be in a hired car/van/limo with a driver (at least at a major). It would also be duty time as a deadhead.

Sorry to hear your work rule make you drive yourself.

This is actually one place where skeds has never tried to hose me. Two recent examples: BWI and have to go to an airport just south of PHL. Rental car IS cheaper, BUT it also means we have wheels to go check out a Triple D joint instead of being stuck walking across the street to whatever cookie cutter chain is there. Airlining would have taken an extra three hours because of the backtracking and security, etc. I did not want that. Next, in Coueur d'Alene and airlining home from Spokane the next day. Rather than sedan, get a rental car and again check out an awesome Triple D joint and have some freedom to go check out the lake. Never believe that they are "making" me drive myself. I am choosing to have mobility!

Well the FOM states that scheduling is supposed to set up rental cars...

An Options pilot told me that soon Ricci will make Flex pilots hitchhike instead of renting a car or taking a sedan!

This is actually one place where skeds has never tried to hose me. Two recent examples: BWI and have to go to an airport just south of PHL. Rental car IS cheaper, BUT it also means we have wheels to go check out a Triple D joint instead of being stuck walking across the street to whatever cookie cutter chain is there. Airlining would have taken an extra three hours because of the backtracking and security, etc. I did not want that. Next, in Coueur d'Alene and airlining home from Spokane the next day. Rather than sedan, get a rental car and again check out an awesome Triple D joint and have some freedom to go check out the lake. Never believe that they are "making" me drive myself. I am choosing to have mobility!

I've been hosed a few times on rental car drives but the majority of the times it was a pretty good deal. I'm my own boss when I'm in a rental, a/c as cold as I want it, radio always on my favorite station and no fighting over the armrest.
Oh yeah- I second the triple-D meal stops.

An Options pilot told me that soon Ricci will make Flex pilots hitchhike instead of renting a car or taking a sedan!

I'm waiting for a Greyhound brief one of these days...

Personally, I'd love some briefs on Amtrak.

I actually looked at rail to get home once when I picked up a middle ear infection at recurrent. 2 grand, three days, and a bus ride to finish....ah, no thanks. I'll stay an extra day and take my antibiotics.

I would take 18 hours on Amtrak vs. 3 hours on UsAir or any RJ.

I have actually been ticketed on Amtrack at Flex. Thankfully the train cancelled after all the airlines cancelled their flights due to a severe winter storm in the northeast.

Had a few CMA-BUR and CMA-LAX trips on Amtrack with Avantair. Much more fun than driving.

Latest resources

Back