How do you know?(scabs)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bell47 said:
Simple, they wouldn't because I wouldn't apply. Please, no more smarta$$es. It's a legit question.

do you really think you can ask a question like that on here and not get any other opposing views??? Get real man. You dont like working with scabs...go deliver pizza.

Just make sure that you are not going to work for a company that was created to bust a union... like HoJets based out of STL. That could cause some problems for you in your future.

Other than that... don't worry about it.

mar said:
It's time to grow up and realize that over the course of an entire career you're gonna have to work with people you don't like.

Republicans. Democrats. Scabs. Management. Men. Women. Straight. Gay. Black. White.

It's a big scary world out there.

Good luck.

Heh-heh. In other words, "Welcome to the real world".

From the front page of the offical jumpseat protection list dated June 5, 2004...

HERE IS A SUMMARY OF THE NUMBER OF SCABS FROM EACH AIRLINE:

Air North Summary AirNorth Both Scabs Listed
Australian Summary AFAP 89 85 America West & Braniff Scabs
Century Summary Century 1 Scab Identified Thus Far
Continental Summary CAL 83 1,996 Scabs listed
Eastern Summary EAL 89 2,253 Scabs Listed
National Summary NAL 48 101 Scabs listed out of 167 total
Northwest Summary NWA 78 34 Scabs listed
Pan American Summary PAA 85 139 Scabs listed
Prinair Summary Prinair 2 Scabs listed
Rio Airways Summary RIO 76 43 Scabs listed
Southern Summary SOU 60 205 Scabs listed
TWA Summary TWA 46 2 Scabs listed
United Summary UAL 85 837 Scabs listed
Western Summary WAL 58 3 Scabs listed
Wien Air Alaska Summmary WAA 77 82 Scabs listed
Comair Summary CMR 01 3 Scabs listed

TOTAL LISTED SCABS 5,799 (Century & NAL incomplete)

The SCABS listed above for airlines like Pan Am, Eastern, TWA, etc have gone to other airlines that are still operating like Delta, American, FedEx and others. To think any airline is free of SCABS is foolish.

Below are brief notes about legal strikes by organized pilots.

1. Century Airlines 1932: Pilots struck to resist wage reduction by E.L Cord, the patron saint of Frank Lorenzo.
2. TWA 1946: Pilots struck over pay on faster 4 engine aircraft, limited by the provisions of Decision 83.
3. National Airlines 1948: Strike over aircraft safety and repeated violations of the labor contract.
4. Western Airlines 1958: Qualifications of the Flight Engineer.
5. Southern Airways 1960: Strike over wage rates at regional carrier vs. larger airline.
6. Rio Airways 1976: Pilots represented by the Union of Professional Airmen, an ALPA affiliate, struck over issues of seniority, pay, safety and system
board neutrality after failing to negotiate first contract.
7. Wien Air Alaska 1977: Crew complement on B-737.
8. Continental Airlines 1983: Struck to resist Frank Lorenzo’s use of Bankruptcy Law to abrogate labor contracts.
9. Pan American 1985: Pilots MEC elected to honor TWU picket line. These people did not honor that strike.
10. United Airlines 1985: Forced by mgmt to strike over B-Scale pay rates and the company attempt to break UAL ALPA.
11. Eastern Airlines 1989: Pilots honored IAM picket lines against Frank Lorenzo’ s asset-stripping of EAL to favor Continental.
12. AFAP 1989: Australian Federation of Air Pilots at 4 domestic airlines quit to protect retirement after disputing government wage control program.
Some Americans, among others, happily filled in.
13 Comair 2001: Pilots struck over poor pay and work rules. They fought to end the second class treatment of all Small Jet pilots.

;)

CSY Mon said:
Not so sure about that.

Do you really want to work with SCABS?
Fly with them and hang out with them...?

Don't think so.

Rather my sister in a whore-house than me sharing a cockpit with a scum-bag scab.

Personally, no I would not. I was assuming that his question more pertained to whether or not working at an airline with scabs on the property would hurt his chances down the road, so I focused my answer towards that part of it.

However, now that the subject has been brought up, a good point is do you want to work with these people? Here are my thoughts:

Scabs cannot be trusted. Working with a scab is not too much different than working with an ex-convict, although I would probably be more sympathetic towards the ex-con. Scabs are the closest thing to sub-human existence on this planet.

CKJET said:
Valu Jet was often referred to as Scab Jet! And before any Air-Tran guys get upset I said was. Not is still.
So there is no such thing as a "scab airline".

Grow Up

This guy this started this post if Flamebait if any airline called him up and offered him $250,000 per year to hire into the right seat of a B747 but he had to have a scab in the right seat and a scab on the panel he would hop right out of that Cessna 172 and be their tommorrow. People make choices to be scabs and they have to live with that decision the rest of their careers. Personally I support Alpa 100% and as an ALPA member I frown upon scabs but I don't let it affect me in the cockpit.

n5374f said:
This guy this started this post if Flamebait if any airline called him up and offered him $250,000 per year to hire into the right seat of a B747 but he had to have a scab in the right seat and a scab on the panel he would hop right out of that Cessna 172 and be their tommorrow. People make choices to be scabs and they have to live with that decision the rest of their careers. Personally I support Alpa 100% and as an ALPA member I frown upon scabs but I don't let it affect me in the cockpit.
Nobody pays union guys 250,000 per year to right seat in anything. If they do, they're pissing their money away for nothing. You don't even need an ATP to hold that seat.

Clyde said:
Personally, no I would not. I was assuming that his question more pertained to whether or not working at an airline with scabs on the property would hurt his chances down the road, so I focused my answer towards that part of it.

However, now that the subject has been brought up, a good point is do you want to work with these people? Here are my thoughts:

Scabs cannot be trusted. Working with a scab is not too much different than working with an ex-convict, although I would probably be more sympathetic towards the ex-con. Scabs are the closest thing to sub-human existence on this planet.

Speaking of sub human..........is that a real picture of you? Sounds like you might be an expert on this subject, sub humans that is. Sorry coudn't resist.

Latest resources

Back