Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How do you file a complaint for a controller error?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

radarlove

Pilots all know how controllers get pilots violated, but what is the process for it to work the other way? If a controller is caught not following procedure, how does a pilot lodge a formal complaint? Is there a form for ATC that is like the pilot deviation form used against pilots?

That's what it seems like. If it isn't a "deal", do controllers always get a free ride? Because they aren't giving pilots free rides any more.

I know some controllers are reading this. How can a complaint be filed officially? Does anyone know?

ATC Comlaint

It's easy. Simply address a letter to the facility manager describing your complaint. Send it certified mail and request a copy of all ATC records regarding the event by way of the Freedom of Information Act of 1972.

Make sure you carbon copy your letter to the Manager, Air Traffic Service at the regional office to make sure the facility manager does his job. You should also provide a copy to headquarters, Washington, DC., with a copy to the General Accounting Office and the Department of Transportation, Inspector General's office ... that way you should have sufficient oversight. If you provide a copy to both of your Senators there should be enough media attention to make sure somebody does something.

That should do it. But I wouldn't count on a "Get out of Jail, Free" card anywhere in the forseeable future.

TransMach

Before you leave the freq get his/her initials and ask for the supervisors phone number. Call that number when you land and make a verbal filing of the complaint. Follow up with paperwork via your POI or CMO(135/121 operators) or the nearest GADO(or whatever they are now called) if you are Part 91.

Perhaps a controller can give better advice but this is my best guess as to how to handle this.

My advice is not to file a complaint, do you really want to operate in an environment of people filing paperwork on each other?

Call the facility, request to speak with a supervisor, when you get the Sup. on the line, you give them the time and location / position the problem occurred and discussions will take place.

Controllers have saved my bacon and many others on numerous occasion, and maybe yours someday! They are our professional brothers.

This approach has worked for me over the years, no controller has ever filed any paperwork on me and god only knows how many times I have been in a position to get filed upon :blush:.

Cheers, S.A.O.

My advice is not to file a complaint, do you really want to operate in an environment of people filing paperwork on each other?

Call the facility, request to speak with a supervisor, when you get the Sup. on the line, you give them the time and location / position the problem occurred and discussions will take place.

Controllers have saved my bacon and many others on numerous occasion, and maybe yours someday! They are our professional brothers.

This approach has worked for me over the years, no controller has ever filed any paperwork on me and god only knows how many times I have been in a position to get filed upon :blush:.

Cheers, S.A.O.

Excellent mature advice, and I totally agree!

I was on the frequency a few nights ago and some yehoo, made a report of severe turbulence, and wanted a SIGMET based on his report. He thought the controller dissed him so when he got to the next frequency he wanted all kinds of phone numbers, and wanted to know how to report this guy. Mostly he kept repeating that he didn't understand why a SIGMET had not been issued.

We followed him on the other radio through a few frequencies, His ignorance of the system was quite comical.

...Thats what's awesomse about ATC... If you don't like a controller give it about 200 miles and your sure to get a new one. Is it me or are there a lot more sexy sounding female controllers around the SW lately?!?!

Latest resources

Back