how do I rate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DUH

>>Don't be put off by Clownpilot's name-calling. There are fortunately very few of those types around in industry. [/B][/QUOTE]>>

DELETED BY POSTER

Last edited:
Most majors advertise much lower minimums for employment then what they'll realistically interview. I mean, when was the last time you heard of someone being called for an interview with only 1000-1500tt at a major. Maybe occasionally an ex-military applicant such as an F-16 driver who knows somebody, but certainly not a civilian pilot.

As we all know, things have changed considerably since 9/11. Time requirements that use to guarantee an interview at a major may not get a second look at a Regional. Let's face it, we are in a huge down cycle in pilot hiring. There's a lot of well qualified (5000+tt) pilots furloughed and pounding the pavement looking for work. USAir is hanging on by a thread which could dump more qualified pilots into the already saturated market.

Who knows when things will turn around? About the only airlines making money are SW, Jetblue and the large freight carriers. I can tell you that to be competitive you need around 3-5000tt with at least, and I mean "at least", 1000 multi turbine PIC. That's just to get someone to look at your resume seriously. Other than that, you'll need as many LOR's as you can get to push your app to the top of the pile. The rules have changed in favor of the airlines when it comes to hiring pilots. The ones who are hiring, will hire the most experienced people, simply because they can. This hasn't been the case in the past several years when airlines were scrambling for pilots.

These are rough times in the airline biz. Tighten your seatbelt and if you have a flying job consider yourself lucky. If you have a relatively secure flying job..ie, SW, UPS FedEx, then consider yourself VERY lucky. If your in the military, flying and getting a regular pay check, then I'd suggest staying put until things significantly improve or you are able to interview at one of the airlines mentioned above.

If you get out now then plan to start out at a lower tier regional airline making peanuts or possibly the corporate route. If history proves correct then things will eventually turn around again...the question is simply, when?

Good luck! Sorry for the doom and gloom post. Just my own personal $0.02 worth.

Clownpilot

I noticed that everyone who spoke up as an expert on this subject is either unemployed, furloughed, or unqualified.

I don't fit into any of those categories and I do consider myself somewhat of an expert with 20 yrs of airline flying under my belt.

Never take advice from someone who FAILED at what you're trying to achieve.

There's a BIG difference in failing at something within your control and, coming out the losing end of something totally out of your control. A furloughed pilot has not failed at anything and is unfortunately just a victim of circumstances beyond his/her control.

While everyone, no matter what their total time, is free to send an app to whomever they desire, I think realistically someone with only 750tt and 300 PIC, especially post 9/11, doesn't have snowball's chance at a major. That's not a slam, just being realistic.

What is your Goal?

Is your goal to be an airline pilot or is it to be an O-5/6 in the Air Force on Active duty. It can't be both.

If your goal is to be an airline pilot then you need to make that dicision and do what it takes to get the job. You said you have 1200 hours in Cessnas, isn't any of it PIC. I know it is not Turbine PIC but it is PIC when you get an interview.

You may want to look at joining a Cargo Guard unit or a Tanker unit. I bet there will be a huge amount of Positios open next Jan-Feb when the reserve/Guard Activation is over. You will go straight to AC school, get a pay check, and can easily Guard Bum till you get some seniority in an airline. The Guard unit will aford you 3 great benefits. 1) you will be availible for an immediate Class date when hired by someone. 2) you will be able to support your family. 3) You can easily continue to rapidly build PIC time in a Multiengine turbine (I met a 1LT the other day who has flown about 800 hours in the C-5 since 9/11).

But remember this option of getting out will cause you to have to risk the safety net Active duty provides right now. NOTHING WORTH WHILE IS EASY, NOTHING EASY IS WORTH WHILE.

What ever you do stay or go, video yourself telling your wife and kids the exact reasons you did what you did. Play this tape every Six months and ensure you understand why you made your decision.

We need good dudes on active duty also.

I agree with Opie, you need to make the commitment to get out. I had a buddy I flew Air Force Lears with. This guy flew lears and had minmal hours but was able to get out in 1993. Tell me how many guys were bailing out of the Air Force in 1993... not that many. The economy was far worse than today, and the industry was not hiring all that many folks. He got a job in the Reserves, flying C-5's and built up his hours. He also got a job with a commuter flying Dash 6's and continued to build up his hours. Being out of the Active Duty allowed him the freedom to take advantage of changes in the industry when they occured. He was hired by United in 1996 and is now right seat on the 747-400. He's making so much money he could buy and sell me... all because he took the risk when the industry was in the dumper. Ok, I'm hired by SWA, but I would still look at getting out and getting hired by any heavy airlift guard or reserve unit...especially strat air. The C-5s and C-17's are looking for bodies and it is a fun job.. but hey, I'm a little biased. Good luck!!!

Ditto UPS Captain. Despite the clown's tantrum, I too have never been furloughed nor unemployed -- and feel very lucky and grateful not to have been. I have also felt lucky and grateful that I've been hired after every airline interview I ever had. My company has quite a few guys still on furlough and feel my no.1 task as a union member is to get those guys back on payroll and the company back in the black. They were hired in good faith, were protected by no-furlough clauses and through absolutely no fault of their own, they were furloughed. Absolutely zero reflection on them personally, but a risk in this industry. Although it's little consolation, I guess they can now call themselves the proverbial "real" airline pilot.

Mugsy - Your explanation is perfectly plausible. Don't take anything on this board as a "slam," just realism, especially in the state of the industry now. I was in similar circumstances when I retired from the USAF -- not much recent flying time - but, hiring was hot and I was able to get a Part 121 job flying heavies worldwide and built a lot of time pretty quickly -- albeit at not a "major" paycheck. I think my military background, plus 1000 hours or so of part 121 experience and a heavy type-rating (and in-company recommendations) made me "competitive" for a major airline. If times were then what they are now, I probably wouldn't be "competitive." I was certainly "qualified" but not necessarily "competitive." Getting yourself competitive for a major would probably be a matter of getting a bunch of current military PIC time or Part 121 experience (maybe at a second tier company) and waiting for major hiring again. Also, we all hope that US Air and America West survive as employers and don't release a bunch of guys to the street. Right now US Air alone has over 1000 pretty senior, superbly competitive guys on furlough. Depending on the future, if those guys start believing that they won't be going back to US Air, some will be willing to resign seniority and start over at another major. It's a complicated and uncertain situation right now. Only you know what your best course is. But, make that decision based on a realistic assessment of your competitiveness and the industry situation. Go to the Air Inc convention and expecially the military transition seminar. Good luck.

MY ERROR

Draginass said:
Ditto UPS Captain. Despite the clown's tantrum, I too have never been furloughed nor unemployed -- and feel very lucky and grateful not to have been.

Draginass,

I owe you an apology. My brain doesn't work too well any more.
I mistook you for someone else. Obviously, my excessive drinking is now affecting my few remaining brain cells (cell). Well, that's what 3 months of TDY at the Sherry in Miami does to you, I guess. Either way, I have deleted that post, and I believe I owe you your bar tab should you make it down to Miami at some point. Certainly the drinks would be on me.

I gotta stop bidding this......eventually.

In unity,

Clownpilot

Clown Pilot

Let up on Clown Pilot guys, he's very fun to argue with. He's just an overweight out of shape wannabe with zero credentials. Right Clown!

Go guard

Mugsy,

That SOB Opie took my words out of my mouth. I fully agree with him. I did very close to that and now I be an aerlayn pilott. We are hiring in my guard unit and I know that all kinds of units will be looking for guys after stop loss ends. Submitt apps now to these places and go visit your top three. Once you get in, you can shotgun the majors and you will be hireable very soon (I landed the job with under 300 total fixed-wing and about 1200 PIC) You are no-kidding, sitting pretty.

As to Opie, Skids are for kids....

Hey B-J-J!!!

Wait a daggone minute, buster....

I looked at that picture and you appear to be wailing on Spiderman...

Now, I don't know about the rest of America, but while you can say anything about anybody on this board, I ain't gonna put up with somebody kicking Spidey bu++...

I'm sending in the Incredible Hulk to teach you a lesson!:D

There...I feel better already.

Latest resources

Back