How do I find a good corporate job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AZ Typed said:
No it's not. Regional flying sucks. Lengthy seniority buildup (no cappy for long time) crappy overnights, SECURITY, mainline dependance, same 'ol ALPA BS (pilots vs. company), busy airports, crabby people, no tips, possibly commuting if your base closes, "oh, you're just a commuter pilot?" on and on and on. A good corporate gig far outweighs a good regional gig, if their is such a thing left anymore.

AZT

Amen. The Regionals are *NOT* the place to go. The hand-wringing alone -- "Is American going to drop us as a code share?" or "What happens if this carrier goes belly up on us?" -- is enough to make you want to gouge out your eyeballs.

A CRAPPY corporate gig outweighs any regional gig that I can imagine. They just work you too hard for no money. As the man said, bad schedule, bad hotels, political b.s., SECURITY is a big one...and no upgrade for a LOOOOOONG time. Don't do it.

Schedule isnt bad for me and i am on reserve. Givin that i am based in my home town and no commuting. My schedule is 4 on 3 off all month and has been that way the whole time i have been on reserve. The hotels havent been bad either. Just my 2 cents.

Superpilot92 said:
Schedule isnt bad for me and i am on reserve. Givin that i am based in my home town and no commuting. My schedule is 4 on 3 off all month and has been that way the whole time i have been on reserve. The hotels havent been bad either. Just my 2 cents.

Precisely my point. Four on three off is horrible. You barely have time to recover when it is time to go back on the road again.

My current schedule is a min of 7 days off (I am in the middle of about 15 in a row right now). The only way to do that at the airline was to drop trips (and take a pay cut).

No thanks.

LegacyDriver said:
Precisely my point. Four on three off is horrible. You barely have time to recover when it is time to go back on the road again.

My current schedule is a min of 7 days off (I am in the middle of about 15 in a row right now). The only way to do that at the airline was to drop trips (and take a pay cut).

No thanks.

Yeah and how many days on are you usually on before that 7 days off. Plus just because i am on for 4 days doesnt mean i worked them either. Plus i am still on probation so once i get a line i will have a lot better schedule. dont get me wrong i am sure corporate has its good sides also. I guess it depends on what you want.

Gulfstream 200 said:
what kind of "corporate' gig do you have that has you eyeing up the regionals?

I was eyeing Horizon because I was thinking about living in Hawaii. I'll have to start a thread and ask about QOL there. No corporate jobs there unfortunately. I'm a PC12 pilot for about 2 years now flying 700hrs a year. Operator/pilot I'm starting to get a little burned out, would love a 2week on off schedule, somewhere descent.

It's all about life-style! All facets of flying (Frax, 135, 121, 91 Corp.) are different. In the relatively short time I've been flying I have been able to test (except military and frax) what fits me the best for what I want out of my life for me and my family.

Airlines are basically balanacing and or sacrificing pay, QOL and relative seniority. Corp is about finding the needle in the haystack where pilots are scheduled days off and not on a pager or gone for long stints and paid well for the type of job that's required, not the type of airplane flown. Charter 135 flying is just about taking it up the butt.

I've flight instructed, flown for a charter operator, a military/gvernemt contractor, 121 and 91 corp. I've found the needle in the haystack and I don't look back except to know that what I've done in the past has gotten me where I am today. Never regret mistakes, just bad choices...Tailwinds.

Well said G159! Cool Avatar too, my daughter loves it!

I've done just about everything out there except pure corporate and I think G159 hit it on the head - trying to find the needle in the haystack job that gives you the best of all worlds.

I also believe that, as other posted, everyone works differently. Now that I have kids, my home time is the most precious commodity that exists, hence my desire to get out of the airline rat race.

I also grew up 3rd generation airline pilot up-and-coming and I know that this industry will NEVER regain its heyday highs, even as recently as the 90's.

I also firmly believe that this cyclical jumping from regional to regional that the majors are doing will never stop, and that all regional pilots will find themselves getting new regional jobs once every decade as their legacy carrier drops them in favor for a cheaper ASA elsewhere. I don't like the sound of that for being able to plan long-term on taking care of my familiy and my long-term goals and dreams.

No future is ever certain, but I believe that "needle in the haystack" corporate gig is the best bet in the times we live in.

By the way, having flown fractional schedules I can tell you on-demand sucks the big one. Having flown regional scedules getting 2-3 days off in between trips on a 12-day off schedule sucks as well. If you're in a GOOD corporate gig, I'll gladly trade you a recommendation for an interview here if you'll trade me a recommendation for an interview there... :D

AMEN Semperfido

semperfido said:
LG diff strokes fo diff folk- blanket statements rarely apply:)

My corporate gig has made me see a light at the end of the tunnel and I am running to it as fast as I can. There is nothing worse than working for an individual who does not like for his pilot to have time off and chief pilot who has absolutely no spine.

Superpilot- Are you trying to compare a decent corp gig to the regionals?:confused: :confused:

Just out of curiosity I went and looked up some salary figures. In our area, mid-size jet captains (and I'm talking about 1st year junior captains) make significantly more than 18yr. CRJ captains at SkyWest or Eagle yet fly almost 80% less.:eek: There's NO comparison.

Latest resources

Back