• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How Did the 9-11 Hijackers Navigate?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
also, they were going full throttle at the time of impact, weren't they? the second plane almost looked like it was going to miss the building entirely. if they had entered the coords and let the airplane fly itself, would it be able to get to those exact coords while turning at full throttle? also, on a different tangent, were the black boxes ever recovered, or were they destroyed? i was just curious.

I should probably bring up the fact again that the documentry indicated that very quickly after taking over the airplane, the hijackers turned off the autopilot and began hand flying the airplane. From the indications of the phone calls that the F/A's were making back to home base, they were flying very erratic, and came close to losing control more then a couple times (banking well past 90-120 degrees).

Going back to the handheld GPS theory... if they were using one, it was probably like the way most of us use it. They probably dialed in direct, got the heading they needed to fly, and then flew it that way. That could explain the wobbly line on their paths to their targets. Then as they got closer to NYC, they started "visually" correcting.

Just another hypothetical to throw into the discussion....

The black boxes were destroyed, but the planes' speed could be estimated by radar and video evidence.

AA11 was flying almost level down the length of Manhattan, although it was at maximum level speed (around 400 kts if I recall).

UA175 was diving at the time of impact, and most experts believe the terrorists were on the verge of losing control as they tried to avoid overflying the WTC. The plane's speed was estimated at 575 kts, or about Mach .82 at that altitude. It was so far above Vmo that the terrorists could have stressed the aircraft beyond ultimate load with just moderate control inputs.
GPS wouldn't be needed for the last few minutes of flight. The terrorists had a target that they simply had to keep centered in the windscreen. Monkeys could have done it.

TIS,

Actually the WTC's stood out real easy, I know this because I have had a fair amount of experience flying in and out of the NY area both before and after 911, as I said earlier finding NYC presented no problem, remember, the second plane had the advantage of the smoke plume to home in on.

Having said that I think It is more likely they just programmed the FMS with the appropriate waypoints.

As EagleRJ says, "A monkey could have done it."

BushwickBill said:
I have had a question regarding this for a long time. I understand how the pilots could have figured out x and y. Lat and long would be fairly easy to program. Handheld FMS whatever.... However z would be quite tough.

What i mean is

How could they have figured out the vertical navigation? My students blow that one all the time. Its fairly easy to overshoot or be to fast in a high performance airplane like a Commanche. I see my students do it often. In fact it happens sometimes in the 172 if I dont say anything to the student. Those bastards (may they rot in hell) didn't have the benifit of a glideslope some way to figure out how to plan for the decent.

My understanding of anything more advanced than a Conquest is very limited. But I do know that vertical nav is fairly tough even for seasoned pilots. Mostly because a 76 or the like is pretty slippery and would be hard to slow down.

Any thoughts on this one?

I have one in the form of a question.

Can you explain to me as an instructor the importance on being on speed or on profile when driving your airplane into the side of a f****** building?

User997 said:
My question is this: Once the hijackers took control of the airplane, how did they navigate the plane from somewhere outside of Boston to two "tiny" buildings in NYC? Do you think the hijackers would've been savvy with the FMS, or did they use some other form of navigatoin?

Has anyone ever heard of an explanation how this was possibly accomplished?

Most animals have an intrinsic ability to self-navigate. They also eat there own ----. I guess that explains what they used for a snack enroute.

Oh, that reminds me, I need to be changed.

Last edited:
rumpletumbler said:
Those weren't planes....they were cardboard cutouts of planes taped onto cruise missles. :)
With chemtrail generators...grab your tin foil hats!

Can you explain to me as an instructor the importance on being on speed or on profile when driving your airplane into the side of a f****** building?
Overshoot would be the keyword that you may want to spend a bit of time thinking about. As in being too high and not being able to decend in time to hit your target. Hitting the target would be fairly simple, a monkey could indeed do it. However hitting it from a starting altitude of say 18,000 feet would involve a little more brainpower.

I think one user said they were already at a low altitude when they arrived in the general area which would make it really simple.

But all this monkey talk makes me wonder: are you guys so hammered with SOP's that you cant even think for yourselves anymore?

BushwickBill said:
But all this monkey talk makes me wonder: are you guys so hammered with SOP's that you cant even think for yourselves anymore?
I run into that stuff all the time in school. People seem to need a straightforward list of instructions to help them keep from falling outside the "box". Otherwise they wouldn't know what to do.

Some of my best college papers were done after looking at the teach's assignment and finding chinks or holes...so I could go outside the "envelope" and bring something totally different into the assignment and make it relevant. I think of those holes as license...my classmates looked at those gaps in the instructions as a vague limitation, needing clarification.

Yes, when operating large aircraft under 121, you must adhear to policy and procedure...and there's a very serious reason for it. But when you're trying to figure out what the hell some dumb ass renegades are going to do...you kind of have to step in their world or explore other correlations, if you can.

Latest resources

Back