• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How Did the 9-11 Hijackers Navigate?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is quite possible that the hijackers forced the pilots to enter the lat/long info into the FMS before killing them.

Pilot124 said:
It is quite possible that the hijackers forced the pilots to enter the lat/long info into the FMS before killing them.
Doubtful that the pilots would have complied, and doubtful in terms of time, having heard the tapes between ATC and UAL93.

FL000 said:
Doubtful that the pilots would have complied

Exactly. A request likes that makes their intentions crystal clear. No way would they have complied...knowing they'd likely die anyway.

UnAnswerd said:
Exactly. A request likes that makes their intentions crystal clear. No way would they have complied...knowing they'd likely die anyway.

Not really.. think about it.. tell the pilots you're being hijacked, go direct to JFK. I mean come on, you don't need the exact coords of the WTC to find Manhattan in VFR conditions if you get anywhere near NYC proper

Makesheepnervus said:
1.) VFR, As we all know the entire eastern seaboard was severe clear that day. If you fly westbound from Boston you will easily see the Hudson river from the flight levels. Turn left, and follow the river to the ocean, New York and the WTC would have stood out quite easily.
I dunno. Did you ever fly around NYC while the towers were there? They didn't stand out all THAT well until you were right there - even as clear as that day was. Besides, in order for this to have been the plan they would have had to wait for a day that carried a mere forecast of clear in all locations. As I said before, forecasts are not that dependable out there. I think they were prepared to make the attack under any conditions.

Makesheepnervus said:
The second aircraft appeared to come in from the south east, possibly following the Jersey shore northbound until sighting the NYC skyline, the second plane also had the advantage of sighting the smoke plume from the first impact.
Actually, it came from the southwest (which is what I think you meant to say) after flying a big box pattern out over the middle of NJ. That smacks of some sort of precise navigational waypoint usage. That box looks to me like it's about forty to fifty miles from NYC until the final approach to the attack site. I just don't think visual navigation played a role in that attack until they were headed straight at NYC.

redd said:
I do want to pose another question though, with the threat of terrorism still out there, should we be restraining ourselves from discussing the navigation topic in detail, on a public forum, does it make it easier for any future would be hijakers to get the straight scoop from pilots who actually fly the equipment?
Your question is muddled and just a shade gay...could you re-phrase it please?

RideTheWind said:

Is everyone forgetting about this? I'm sure they learned to use the FMS while training in the sim. Programming the FMS is far from brain surgery. While they may not have learned everything about the FMS, all they would've needed to know how to do is insert the lat/long. I would bet that they used the handheld for exact coords. and the on-board nav. to guide the plane in. Also, with as much time and money as they dumped into flight training, I highly doubt they would've relied on the weather being strictly VFR throughout the whole ordeal.

Last edited:
I have had a question regarding this for a long time. I understand how the pilots could have figured out x and y. Lat and long would be fairly easy to program. Handheld FMS whatever.... However z would be quite tough.

What i mean is

How could they have figured out the vertical navigation? My students blow that one all the time. Its fairly easy to overshoot or be to fast in a high performance airplane like a Commanche. I see my students do it often. In fact it happens sometimes in the 172 if I dont say anything to the student. Those bastards (may they rot in hell) didn't have the benifit of a glideslope some way to figure out how to plan for the decent.

My understanding of anything more advanced than a Conquest is very limited. But I do know that vertical nav is fairly tough even for seasoned pilots. Mostly because a 76 or the like is pretty slippery and would be hard to slow down.

Any thoughts on this one?

MGlobemaster said:
Is everyone forgetting about this? I'm sure they learned to use the FMS while training in the sim. Programming the FMS is far from brain surgery. While they may not have learned everything about the FMS, all they would've needed to know how to do is insert the lat/long. I would bet that they used the handheld for exact coords. and the on-board nav. to guide the plane in. Also, with as much time and money as they dumped into flight training, I highly doubt they would've relied on the weather being strictly VFR throughout the whole ordeal.

About the only similarity between a 727 and a 75/767 is the fact that Boeing made them. You won't find an FMS in a 727 sim.

Latest resources

Back