Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How common is the "Co-Captain" in the Corporate world?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is not just pilots ... About 2 decades ago most corportations had a President, Vice Prsident of Fiannce, Vice President of Operation, etc. Then there was "title inflation" ... Pres. could become CEO, a VP of some level was now "President", the VP of Finance became CFO so the Assistant VP of Finance could become VP of Finance, etc.

G200,

Going out on a limb here, but you gotta be the biggest Gulfstream fanboy I've ever seen! ;)

It is not just pilots ... About 2 decades ago most corportations had a President, Vice Prsident of Fiannce, Vice President of Operation, etc. Then there was "title inflation" ... Pres. could become CEO, a VP of some level was now "President", the VP of Finance became CFO so the Assistant VP of Finance could become VP of Finance, etc.

Now thats funny....believe it or not all pilots at my last job were "Vice Presidents" according to the company. LOL!

Heck, you can call me an a$$hole (some have) just pay me and treat me well.

:D

Overseas is where they really get wrapped around the axels about "Captain" and "Co-pilot". Never understood that.

The owner was given the option to hire an FO when we started the operation and his answer was, " I am about to spend $30 million on an airplane and you are trying to save me $30K on a salary?" Needless to say the director hired two captains.

I once worked at a large Fortune 10 flt department where titles ran wild. When I walked in the door everyone had some sort of title, "asst training captain and asst safety capt on the XYZ fleet" was one of my personal favorites (actually listed on a business card". They hired all captains except for the last guy in the door.

I got myself in big trouble when down town sent me the "fill in the blanks" business card form. I figured I needed a title so I decided to call myself " the junior assistant executive chief of nothing, with everything to do"

The director got a phone call from down town asking him what he wanted to do because it would not fit on the card. Not one of my career highlights......

I can remember sitting down with my grandfather having a beer and we were talking about it, he gave me some classic advice that I use to this very day when someone tries to give me a title:
"I can't put tomato sauce on a title and feed it to the kids" since then I have heard another variation, "Unfortunately my landlord stopped taking titles last week, he only accepts cash"

A title is just another way to get you to do more work without paying you for it. Call me what you want just pay me.

It is not just a pay issue, it is also an ego, morale, self-worth issue for the employee.For many, to say at a neighborhood bar-b-que that you are "a Vice President" or "Assistant Vice President of Finance" sounds much better (and usually make the employee feel better in social settings) than bookkeeper.

G4G5 said:
I got myself in big trouble when down town sent me the "fill in the blanks" business card form. I figured I needed a title so I decided to call myself " the junior assistant executive chief of nothing, with everything to do"

I LOL'd.

The director got a phone call from down town asking him what he wanted to do because it would not fit on the card. Not one of my career highlights......

No sense of humor there, eh?

Now that I think of it, "Executive Vice President of Business Aircraft Transportation" has a nice ring to it...:laugh:

We actually had a guy who felt pride in that "Vice President" title....I once told him on a crew swap in Athens at 0400.... "Hey Mr. VP of Lav Dumping, here's a $20, go monitor the $hitter change"

another personal favorite..."Director of Training"...(calls FlightSafety twice a year)

Only pilots.

Everyone is a "Captain" or a fairly new hire about to be bumped up to "Captain", but no inexperienced guys. In our house, the "Trip Captain" (more titles for the ego police) runs the trip. But in my opinion, it is only extra work with absolutely no extra money. If the other guys get off arranging everything and staying glued to the phone, then more power to them. I couldn't give a rat's ass what they call me, where my name is on the trip sheet or the bulkhead display or what seat I start out the trip in, just pay me fairly.

Only captains where I fly. We don't hire people unless they have considerable experience. Why are you asking?

Just trying to learn as much as I can about this side of the biz. My current employer used 1(800) dial-a-pilot in the past, but we are trying to change that mentality. I can't imagine having (or being) a high level VIP in the back with a crew up front that has never flown together, and all trained with different procedures. That is the result of a non Pilot running the show here in the past. Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. Has there been an article published regarding the value of having Co-Capts or Capt qualified (and experienced) Pilots as opposed to Co-Pilots?

Latest resources

Back