Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How common is the "Co-Captain" in the Corporate world?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

carl p

Reformed Freight Dog
How many of your flight departments employ Co-Capts vs. Co-Pilots? I would guess that companies flying international would hire more CCs. Has there been an article published regarding the value of hiring a Co-Capt over a Co-Pilot?

We only hire Captains, or hire ones that are Captain "qualifiable". Both pilots are typed on the equipment, but the PIC is still the one listed on the DX log and who signs for the bird. Our pay is based on seniority and longevity not seat position.

"Co-captain" sounds like flight department marketing semantics aimed at soothing nervous new charter customers...

Only captains where I fly. We don't hire people unless they have considerable experience. Why are you asking?

Last edited:
Two captains where I work, hence the term "co-captain".

Per SOP, the PIC is whoever is the left-seat (flying) pilot.

How many of your flight departments employ Co-Capts vs. Co-Pilots? I would guess that companies flying international would hire more CCs. Has there been an article published regarding the value of hiring a Co-Capt over a Co-Pilot?

Its a term to calm the fragile egos...lol.

Seems like if someone can pass a type ride at FlightSafety (got a pulse?) they are a "Captain" There just isn't many "co-pilots" in the corporate world. Now, it really does make sense to type everyone for various reasons, but in reality that has nothing to do with ones real qualifications.

I guess who cares what you are called....but all I have seen "Co-Captain" status do is confuse the over confident typed co-pilot into thinking he should be making more money...after all, he is a "Captain"...and he DOES fly left seat....with a babysitter (he doesn't see that part)..LOL.

Its easier and cleaner to break everyone down as PIC/SIC, regardless of what you want on your business card...just be sure to define the roles on each flight, hence many places employ only Captains yet some of these Captains are never PIC!

Corp pilots love titles...I have seen enough "Senior International Training Captains" in this business to last a lifetime.

Last edited:
Back when I was in the corporate game if you were hired as a co-pilot that may mean you rarely, if ever, flew. At my company I was a Sabre 40 captain and a Sabre 65 co-pilot; I never touched the controls of the 65, not even on empty legs.
There was a G-1 on airport who had a co-pilot that was never allowed to fly either, so it wasn't just us. Bottom line, if I was being hired as a corporate co-pilot I'd ask about their policy about co-pilots flying.

Gulfstream200:[ I have seen "Co-Captain" status do is confuse the over confident typed co-pilot into thinking he should be making more money...after all, he is a "Captain"...and he DOES fly left seat....with a babysitter (he doesn't see that part)..LOL.]................. I could not disagree more esp. on the larger corp. aircraft. 99.9% of the time a corp pilot on these aircraft have thousands of hours (paid their dues many times over) fly from Left seat and make the flight decisions with their "Co Captains". I believe that the biggest use of the term of "co Captain" is to retain highly qualified,experienced people in both seats. this costs money and for the non aviation types it is easier to explain two high salaries by using the term co captain than explaining why a co pilot should be so well paid......just my 2 cents.........

Co Captains are very common in the corporate world for 1 reason: THEY VALUE EXPERIENCE-not just seniority.

We only hire Captains-real Captains with 6000 hours MINIMUM, in reality our flight department averages over 11,000 hours per pilot and many years international experience.

Saying you don't hire a co-pilot is one thing, actually hiring only Captains and paying them all Captains pay is another.

In the corporate world it is easy to confuse the person occupying the left seat as "Captain". In reality, experience, skill, professionalism and responsibility determine a true "Captain". You need to have earned all 4 to truly advance in the corporate world.

Gulfstream200:[ I have seen "Co-Captain" status do is confuse the over confident typed co-pilot into thinking he should be making more money...after all, he is a "Captain"...and he DOES fly left seat....with a babysitter (he doesn't see that part)..LOL.]................. I could not disagree more esp. on the larger corp. aircraft. 99.9% of the time a corp pilot on these aircraft have thousands of hours (paid their dues many times over) fly from Left seat and make the flight decisions with their "Co Captains". I believe that the biggest use of the term of "co Captain" is to retain highly qualified,experienced people in both seats. this costs money and for the non aviation types it is easier to explain two high salaries by using the term co captain than explaining why a co pilot should be so well paid......just my 2 cents.........

Oh I agree! Hence you have 2 qualified PIC Captains. Pay them as Captains. Pay them well.

The confusion arises when a co-pilot gets labeled a "Co-Captain" and gripes about why he only makes 95K-105K....after all, he's a "Gulfstream Captain" goddamit.

I just think its far easier to call a spade a spade..you are a F/O, copilot, whatever until you can sign for the airplane with another F/O.....long term occupation of the left seat by typed FO's isn't good for anyone.

I don't think this is a big deal in most smaller operations, but can be if you have a larger pilot group with salary differences amongst all the "Captains"

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back