• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How common is smoking in the cockpits?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i was on a jumpseat on a 727 and was asked by the captain if i minded.....when i said no all three pilots lit up, it was hilarious. they popped the window on the runway after landing to clear the smoke. it was a passenger airline back in 2000

Heyas,

12,000 hours of 135 and 121 flying, and not a singler burner in all that time.

With that said, I've seen plenty of guys with a nic fit make the mad dash after the parking brakes were set, even in the rain.

Nu

When I was a costar at a 121 supplemental flying freight, we did a lot of MAC trips over the pacific rim with heavy crew for CRAF. (Travis-Hickam-Anderson-Kadena-Clark). We had 2 flight crews and a mechanic and EVERBODY smoked. At any given time there were at least 2 cigs burning in that cockpit, day and night. Most miserable trip I ever flew, and I was a smoker then.

Flew with 2 different guys on the RJ that smoked on the taxi out with the window open and both packs on. Sucked the smoke out pretty well.

I've seen it jumpseating on a CAL 767 during taxi out, with the window open. Captain was on his last trip before retirement, but it had a practised look about it.

I knew friends at ASA that lit up on the E120 when the 120s were going bye bye...did it on the "delivery" flights to where ever.

ALSO...haha...this also involves the "mile high" --

FO was telling me a story...and I totally believe him considering who was the crew.

Empty flight--CA went to the back and hooked up with one of the FAs..ATR by the way...meanwhile the other FA was up in the flightdeck with the FO fooling around. While she was on his lap in his seat (all from this FOs story) the AFT smoke warning goes off. He calls back to the galley...CA answers intercom and says don't worry, "we're smoking a couple cigars" !?

All pre 9/11....good ole days

I worked as an F/A for a 121 Supplemental while getting my ratings. I'd routinely have to come up with BS excuses to the passengers about why all of a sudden, the cabin smelled like cigarette smoke. Like someone else said before, it was an older "good old-boys" group of pilots that lit up in the cockpit.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back